AirBnB- renter stays for 540 days without paying rent

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Off topic, but reminds me of adult kids who just won't leave...
Won't leave? They would leave my house in a minute.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterstang View Post
I saw the story on News Nation with Laura Ingram made me sick to my stomach!! This female has done this several times to other tenants also. the Dr. That owns the adjoining house can't do a thing to get rid of her. She lives only feet away from his door. Laura Ingram made sure to mention her name repeatedly and show her pic during the interview with the doctors lawyer. He is not allowed to change the locks while she is gone.
Only in California would there be such a ridiculous law to protect a thief. Ok, maybe NY and Chicago.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:36 AM
Default This is Why we don't live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
In California, a savvy renter has not paid rent for 540 days. The owner of the AirBnb cannot have the person evicted because the home does not meet California compliance. The renter wants $100,000 to leave the residence. Interesting article some investors may want to read. There are nightmare tenants out there. Beware!
Just remember, this is why so many people from California are moving here. Hopefully they don't vote like they did in California. Remember, stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
I know a neighbor in NY who didn't pay rent for 2 years and after going back and forth to court welfare ended paying the back 2 years of rent only for him to not pay rent for another 2 years before they were finally able to get the Marshall to come and evict him.

So 4 years of free rent. Folks know how to play the system in certain cities.
Fortunately this is personnal knowledge, not something you read in an article.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get real View Post
Only in California would there be such a ridiculous law to protect a thief. Ok, maybe NY and Chicago.
Exactly. It's laws that favor tenants over landlords in virtually every situation which are a hallmark in large cities that have "progressive" policies.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Exactly. It's laws that favor tenants over landlords in virtually every situation which are a hallmark in large cities that have "progressive" policies.
I don't feel bad for them because they voted for this insanity. Elections have consequences.
Old 10-07-2023, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

I get that this woman abused the system to get free rent. I think it's atrocious. But you can't blame politics for this. The city has zoning laws. The owner of the property violated the law. If the owner hadn't violated the law, then that tenant wouldn't have been allowed to move in, in the first place. OR, the property would've been brought into compliance, and the tenant wouldn't have been exempt from the eviction process.

Sort of like - you can run a red light. There's nothing physically stopping you from doing so. And if there's no cop to witness it, you'll probably get away with it. But if you run it, and someone its your car - you really can't blame the city for putting the light there. It's your own fault for running it.

The landlord ran the red zoning light. The landlord has only themselves to blame for breaking the rules. As they say: FAFO.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:07 AM
Veteran member

It’s like that movie Pacific Heights with MIchael Keaton, Melanie Griffith
Old 10-08-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I get that this woman abused the system to get free rent. I think it's atrocious. But you can't blame politics for this. The city has zoning laws. The owner of the property violated the law. If the owner hadn't violated the law, then that tenant wouldn't have been allowed to move in, in the first place. OR, the property would've been brought into compliance, and the tenant wouldn't have been exempt from the eviction process.

Sort of like - you can run a red light. There's nothing physically stopping you from doing so. And if there's no cop to witness it, you'll probably get away with it. But if you run it, and someone its your car - you really can't blame the city for putting the light there. It's your own fault for running it.

The landlord ran the red zoning light. The landlord has only themselves to blame for breaking the rules. As they say: FAFO.
Yes and no. She did break the rules but the elected officials put those "protections" for other criminals into the law.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Yes and no. She did break the rules but the elected officials put those "protections" for other criminals into the law.
To me, it's pretty simple. If you own a property and someone is occupying it without a valid lease, you should have the right to force them to leave. Elected officials have no right to protect a squatter with stupid laws.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
In Florida there are homestead laws. The laws protect tenants just like the laws in California.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Gold member

What are the odds that two different people at different times released 'harmful substances into the air"? The first one's release damaged her personal items, & the second one released a harmful substance - according to the article in the Daily Mail. Is this criminal allergic to someone passing gas? The nerve of these property owners.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To me, it's pretty simple. If you own a property and someone is occupying it without a valid lease, you should have the right to force them to leave. Elected officials have no right to protect a squatter with stupid laws.
Very true. Wonder what would happen if one of these elected officials has to deal with a squatter in rental property they own?
Old 10-08-2023, 01:25 PM

In FL there is an option "Unlawful Detainer". No money awarded but tenant or live in can be lawfully told to leave. I used this to get a relative out of my home.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1nod1no View Post
In FL there is an option "Unlawful Detainer". No money awarded but tenant or live in can be lawfully told to leave. I used this to get a relative out of my home.
Did you have to go to court to do it?
Closed Thread

Tags
days, renter, rent, airbnb-, compliance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.