Anthem Kneeling - and it continues - BASEBALL

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2020, 08:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Anthem Kneeling - and it continues - BASEBALL

And...Here we go. Now MLB Baseball, and would expect it to grow thru the 'season'. Of course players from the NBA and probably NFL will join in.

Personally I'm a supporter of peaceful protests et al - but bringing it TO YOUR WORK/BUSINESS is out of bounds.

------------------------------------------

Cincinnati Reds players Joey Votto, Amir Garrett, Phillip Ervin and Alex Blandino knelt during the national anthem before Tuesday's exhibition game against the Detroit Tigers at Great American Ball Park.

The four players lined up together along the first-base line as other teammates stood beside them and showed their support. Mike Moustakas put his hand on Ervin's shoulder, Cody Reed put his hand on Garrett's shoulder and Sal Romano put his hand on Blandino's back.

Votto, Garrett, Ervin and Moustakas were among several Reds players who wore Black Lives Matter shirts during training camp.

San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler plans to use his position to speak out against racial injustice and provide a voice for those who aren't heard.

Kapler and several of his players knelt during the national anthem before the Giants' 6-2 exhibition victory at the Oakland Athletics. Kapler shared his plans when he addressed the team earlier Monday, and he said all players would be supported by the Giants, no matter what they decided to do.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (4).jpeg
Views:	4248
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	85377   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (5).jpeg
Views:	4230
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	85378  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

If players on the teams I root for start kneeling will do two things
1. Write to the team and express my displeasure.
2. Make a list of all sponsors of the game and tell those sponsors will not be purchasing their product due to the disrespecting of our flag.

Hopefully a lot of people will do this and this will stop.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Gold member

Now to me it’s NO NBA and MLB. I’ll bet the NFL is to follow.
FYI: Nike uses for all intents and purposes Used slave labor in China but supports BLM. I guess Nike does not believe all lives matter. I’ve got a few old Nike shirts and hats (haven’t purchased Nike in years). Anyone have some old Nike to have a bonfire?

Last edited by JGVillages; 07-22-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Has nothing to do with the cause.
Objective is to get the media attention and a camera/microphone in their face.

There are so many other ways to express their support for what ever bug is up their shorts.....there is no need to disrespect the National Anthem!!!
Old 07-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Smile

It's not as bad as being killed because of your skin color - it's just a knee
Old 07-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I used to be a big NFL fan but no more. When the kneeling garbage began I quit watching and will not watch again until the NFL apologizes and bans it. I'm surprised that anyone even watches baseball.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

I'm all for peaceful protest unless it offends me and presents a viewpoint contrary to what I believe. But I'll give Votto a pass as he is Canadian so the flag means nothing to him. /s
Old 07-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfl View Post
And...here we go. Now mlb baseball, and would expect it to grow thru the 'season'. Of course players from the nba and probably nfl will join in.

Personally i'm a supporter of peaceful protests et al - but bringing it to your work/business is out of bounds.

------------------------------------------

cincinnati reds players joey votto, amir garrett, phillip ervin and alex blandino knelt during the national anthem before tuesday's exhibition game against the detroit tigers at great american ball park.

The four players lined up together along the first-base line as other teammates stood beside them and showed their support. Mike moustakas put his hand on ervin's shoulder, cody reed put his hand on garrett's shoulder and sal romano put his hand on blandino's back.

Votto, garrett, ervin and moustakas were among several reds players who wore black lives matter shirts during training camp.

San francisco giants manager gabe kapler plans to use his position to speak out against racial injustice and provide a voice for those who aren't heard.

Kapler and several of his players knelt during the national anthem before the giants' 6-2 exhibition victory at the oakland athletics. Kapler shared his plans when he addressed the team earlier monday, and he said all players would be supported by the giants, no matter what they decided to do.
disrespectful disgusting if you cant respect the american flag then you should not be allowed to play american sports
Old 07-22-2020, 10:32 AM

I never understood why they would play the National Anthem at sports events.
It's much too hallowed a song to be used at such frivolous activity. It is a song to be respected-unfortunately, money making companies have used it as part of their "spectacles."
How many can say that they have been to a baseball or other game where no sooner the song has ended the crowd starts shouting. They seem like they are just waiting to get over the music and yell their pent up "Play Ball."
To honor and respect and rightly revere our anthem and our flag, they should just stop playing the anthem in stadiums and arenas and retain it for truly patriotic solemn occasions.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

"National Pastime"????

hmmm, perhaps it's now past-time to be patriotic too...

I'd like to think that 'this too shall pass' - but sadly not -soon anyway.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
I never understood why they would play the National Anthem at sports events.
It's much too hallowed a song to be used at such frivolous activity. It is a song to be respected-unfortunately, money making companies have used it as part of their "spectacles."
How many can say that they have been to a baseball or other game where no sooner the song has ended the crowd starts shouting. They seem like they are just waiting to get over the music and yell their pent up "Play Ball."
To honor and respect and rightly revere our anthem and our flag, they should just stop playing the anthem in stadiums and arenas and retain it for truly patriotic solemn occasions.
This should help.....

Why the Star-Spangled Banner is Played At Sporting Events - HISTORY
Old 07-22-2020, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Why? Which ignores the actual reason so many athletes and others are now kneeling. Hint it has nothing to do with disrespect, it has to do with respecting the lives of POC.

Always nice to know that someone's political views should be established as a requirement to play a sport. That's real American freedum. Next thing ya know, maybe we can get back to when only good old white boys could play baseball. I'd watch it if it were only white boys.
There are other ways to protest.

My father and father in law fought in WW2 under that flag and IMHO it is disrespectful not to stand at attention while our anthem is being sung.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
There are other ways to protest.

My father and father in law fought in WW2 under that flag and IMHO it is disrespectful not to stand at attention while our anthem is being sung.

I agree

protest some other way peacefully
Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

In UK we only play National Anthem at international games.
Solves a lot of problems, and leaves more time to throw bottles and bricks at opposition supporters!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I never much was a big sports fan and watched only a few games anyway. I think I will bow out of watching any NFL, MLB and NBA until the childish kneeling ends.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
players, anthem, hand, giants, kapler

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.