CDC director "our data from the CDC -- vaccinated people do not carry the virus"

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default CDC director "our data from the CDC -- vaccinated people do not carry the virus"

I'm CONFUSED. So if we get the vaccine (we have) WHY does Fauci and others STILL insist that we must wear masks (two), restrict travel and other activities etc etc. EVEN with SCIENCE apparently countering with scientific data - clinical trials and real-world data - HER WORDS. What ?????

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a new interview celebrated data suggesting that those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 largely "do not carry the virus."

CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Monday that "our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus" or get sick.

"It's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data," she added.

Her comments seemed to be in reference to a CDC study released earlier on Monday that examined Moderna's and Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccines and found that in real-world conditions, they reduced the risk of infection by 90 percent two or more weeks after the second dose was administered. The CDC said the study demonstrated that the vaccines "can reduce both asymptomatic and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections."

Though Walensky expressed optimism over this finding and said "we can kind of almost see the end" of the pandemic based on the rate of vaccinations in the United States, she also reiterating her concern about COVID-19 cases ticking up.

"What I really would hate to have happen is to have another oncoming surge just as we're reaching towards getting so many more people vaccinated," she said.

Walensky had previously expressed similar concerns on Monday about a potential fourth surge in COVID-19 cases, saying in a briefing she has a feeling "of impending doom" while urging Americans to "please hold on a little while longer."

CDC director: Data suggests vaccinated people largely 'do not carry the virus'

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...185100232.html
Old 04-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Might be because only 15% of the US Population have been vaccinated. That leaves 85% (I'm a math wizard) of us are vulnerable and can spread the virus. Trying to protect that 85% until they are fully protected requires masks, social distancing, hand washing etc. Until that happens travel restrictions, masks on airplanes and trains and in unknown groups need to be continued. Your question is apples and oranges.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Just a guess here, but the most likely explanation that I can think of is that since there's no way to readily tell if someone has been vaccinated or not, the decision to wear a mask or not would be on the honor system. Her and Fauci's concern isn't so much that people who have been vaccinated will spread the virus, it's more that people who haven't been vaccinated will no longer feel the social pressure to wear a mask, and that they'll be the ones spreading it.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:06 AM

With vaccine there no spread. With vaccine almost no risk of serious illness

Without vaccine need to continue masks even though risk becomes lower the younger you might be

Children under 12 are showing no signs of getting sick or becoming carriers of this virus.

Thats the latest science and data.

Now, do whatever makes YOU feel better.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Might be because only 15% of the US Population have been vaccinated. That leaves 85% (I'm a math wizard) of us are vulnerable and can spread the virus. Trying to protect that 85% until they are fully protected requires masks, social distancing, hand washing etc. Until that happens travel restrictions, masks on airplanes and trains and in unknown groups need to be continued. Your question is apples and oranges.
nope - the question is - if one is fully vaccinated (as we are) and two weeks after SCIENCE shows what SHE said...

Why are WE (such as I believe that almost 50% of TVrs vaccinated now) told to wear masks, avoid travel, 6' distance and all the other stuff? Oh - perhaps to show "our patriotism" as someone says all the time... And BTW - if this data was really widely made public - THAT would truly be an incentive for those holding out...

apples<>apples.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

According to stats I have heard recently, the boomers and beyond have a high percentage getting vaccinated. And — hospitalizations are way down in this age group.

But — there is a rise in hospitalizations among people in their 30s and 40s.

Some of the younger age group simply have not had the chance to get the vaccination yet.

Some still think they are invincible.

And, of course, there must be a small percentage with a legit reason not to vax up.

But many others are the “muh freedoms” bunch with probably also a correlation to how much influence their constant, poison, Facebook feeds have in their lives.

When we are out and about, we can cross paths with a lot of 30 and 40-somethings so I will continue to wear a mask in public places.

This is a learning curve. I cannot figure out how some people can’t use their own brains to think this thing through and see that we are experiencing a learning curve, so we need to pay very close attention to the science and do the best we can — which is what Fauci & Co. are doing. But noooooo, some gotta go ‘round always loaded for bear.

We can get there — unless Pogo is proved to be right in this one, too.

We were recently invited to a little party later in the month — of only vaccinated guests — and that’s just fine with me — we won’t be wearing masks.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-01-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Seems prudent to maintain risk reductions methods until there is proof we have reached and sustained a low rate of new infections.

People not doing so will make this take longer.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC133DE-491E-47E1-BBF3-824F4FE0FAAC.jpg
Views:	8885
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	88908  
Old 04-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
The real problem is 35% of the population are anti-vaxxers, and they are ruining it for everyone else, especially as some vaccines are being throw out because of lack of interest (not here though).

I really think that Darwin will weed out those that refuse the vaccine and we'll be left with those that survived.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
nope - the question is - if one is fully vaccinated (as we are) and two weeks after SCIENCE shows what SHE said...

Why are WE (such as I believe that almost 50% of TVrs vaccinated now) told to wear masks, avoid travel, 6' distance and all the other stuff? Oh - perhaps to show "our patriotism" as someone says all the time... And BTW - if this data was really widely made public - THAT would truly be an incentive for those holding out...

apples<>apples.
If I read the article correctly, the data suggests that 90% of the vaccinated people do not carry the virus. So if 50% of the people are vaccinated then 45% of the people (90% of 50%) probably do not carry the virus.

There is a 10% chance that you, as a vaccinated person, can still infect someone - wear a mask.

Over 50% of those around you are not vaccinated - wear a mask.

Without a large "V" tattooed on your head there is no way to know who is vaccinated and who is not. In order to avoid vaccine-shaming those who have been unable to get a vaccine and to improve mask compliance - wear a mask.

New infections and hospitalizations are still high (and 1,000 deaths per day is not small) - there is still a pandemic to deal with - wear a mask

Ask again when hospitalizations and deaths are near zero and when 90% of the population has had the vaccine.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-01-2021, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is a 10% chance that you, as a vaccinated person, can still infect someone.
Did you see or read the CDC Director and the science behind it? If someone wants protection at this point, stay home.

Florida 50+ are eligible for vaccination, so no more excuses for anyone.

Dominoes delivers....
Old 04-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
Did you see or read the CDC Director and the science behind it? If someone wants protection at this point, stay home.

Florida 50+ are eligible for vaccination, so no more excuses for anyone.

Dominoes delivers....
Yes, I did see that, did you read it?

Great for the 50+ who have been able to get an appointment but what about those who have not? Too bad for them? Even here in the Villages I see people who must be under 50, do we just throw them off the raft too?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Yes, I did see that, did you read it?

Great for the 50+ who have been able to get an appointment but what about those who have not? Too bad for them? Even here in the Villages I see people who must be under 50, do we just throw them off the raft too?
Actually, it’s 40 and over, going to 16 and over April 7th. Two weeks ago it was incredibly easy to get a vaccine. Signup at saferestart, signup at myvaccine.fl.gov, call your doctor, login to Publix at 7am Mon, wed, fri. Scan availability at Winn Dixie, Walmart, Sam’s Club, CVS, Walgreens. Lots of options.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I'm CONFUSED. So if we get the vaccine (we have) WHY does Fauci and others STILL insist that we must wear masks (two), restrict travel and other activities etc etc. EVEN with SCIENCE apparently countering with scientific data - clinical trials and real-world data - HER WORDS. What ?????

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a new interview celebrated data suggesting that those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 largely "do not carry the virus."

CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Monday that "our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus" or get sick.

"It's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data," she added.

Her comments seemed to be in reference to a CDC study released earlier on Monday that examined Moderna's and Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccines and found that in real-world conditions, they reduced the risk of infection by 90 percent two or more weeks after the second dose was administered. The CDC said the study demonstrated that the vaccines "can reduce both asymptomatic and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections."

Though Walensky expressed optimism over this finding and said "we can kind of almost see the end" of the pandemic based on the rate of vaccinations in the United States, she also reiterating her concern about COVID-19 cases ticking up.

"What I really would hate to have happen is to have another oncoming surge just as we're reaching towards getting so many more people vaccinated," she said.

Walensky had previously expressed similar concerns on Monday about a potential fourth surge in COVID-19 cases, saying in a briefing she has a feeling "of impending doom" while urging Americans to "please hold on a little while longer."

CDC director: Data suggests vaccinated people largely 'do not carry the virus'

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...185100232.html
All the more reason that everyone should do their part to stamp out this virus. No excuses from those who have no medical reason to refuse the vaccine. Get yourself vaccinated for crying out loud. Do it for the good of your fellow citizens; do it for your country; do it for your loved ones. Oh....... and do it so you won't possibly get sick and die from this virus.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Some people just want to berate Dr. Fauci every chance they get. Thank you for his explanation which, seriously, everyone should have already known if they would just put on their thinking cap. This is not rocket science, folks.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Some people just want to berate Dr. Fauci every chance they get. Thank you for his explanation which, seriously, everyone should have already known if they would just put on their thinking cap. This is not rocket science, folks.
IF you read my initial post - I did not berate Fauci - simply that WHAT HE IS SAYING is NOT in keeping with the CDC findings as I posted. period. Facts, not emotions. And no, not rocket science.

Tags
cdc, data, vaccinated, walensky, covid-19

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.