CDC director "our data from the CDC -- vaccinated people do not carry the virus"

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Might be because only 15% of the US Population have been vaccinated. That leaves 85% (I'm a math wizard) of us are vulnerable and can spread the virus. Trying to protect that 85% until they are fully protected requires masks, social distancing, hand washing etc. Until that happens travel restrictions, masks on airplanes and trains and in unknown groups need to be continued. Your question is apples and oranges.
100% correct and I agree wholeheartedly
Old 04-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
nope - the question is - if one is fully vaccinated (as we are) and two weeks after SCIENCE shows what SHE said...

Why are WE (such as I believe that almost 50% of TVrs vaccinated now) told to wear masks, avoid travel, 6' distance and all the other stuff? Oh - perhaps to show "our patriotism" as someone says all the time... And BTW - if this data was really widely made public - THAT would truly be an incentive for those holding out...

apples<>apples.
Maybe so that you are not attacked by a violent mob of ignorant citizens who don't know you've been vaccinated
Old 04-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,932 Posts

Quote:
IF you read my initial post - I did not berate Fauci - simply that WHAT HE IS SAYING is NOT in keeping with the CDC findings as I posted. period. Facts, not emotions. And no, not rocket science.
I did read your original post and my take away was that you don't understand Dr. Fauci's stance on NOT ditching the masks yet. If I misunderstood your intentions, I apologize.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Maybe so that you are not attacked by a violent mob of ignorant citizens who don't know you've been vaccinated
I was (almost) hoping that the Covid vaccine would "leave a mark" on the injection site as vaccines did when we were kids ---evidence.

Then I thought, a little tattoo, not quite as elaborate as this guy's>>> mine would be imprinted on my tongue - so if someone questions me, I stick out my tongue at them. double meaning.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	767
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	88912  
Old 04-01-2021, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
IF you read my initial post - I did not berate Fauci - simply that WHAT HE IS SAYING is NOT in keeping with the CDC findings as I posted. period. Facts, not emotions. And no, not rocket science.
Here is the exact wording from the CDC's webpage
Quote:
Prospective cohorts of 3,950 health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers completed weekly SARS-CoV-2 testing for 13 consecutive weeks. Under real-world conditions, mRNA vaccine effectiveness of full immunization (≥14 days after second dose) was 90% against SARS-CoV-2 infections regardless of symptom status; vaccine effectiveness of partial immunization (≥14 days after first dose but before second dose) was 80%.
Your statement OP:
Quote:
I'm CONFUSED. So if we get the vaccine (we have) WHY does Fauci and others STILL insist that we must wear masks (two), restrict travel and other activities etc etc. EVEN with SCIENCE apparently countering with scientific data - clinical trials and real-world data - HER WORDS. What ?????
Fauci suggest, his does not insist, that vaccinated people still wear masks because there is a 10% chance that despite being fully immunized you are still capable of being contagious to others. Additionally in the discussion of the data on the CDC's website the authors list factors which may have resulted in an over-estimation of the vaccine's effectiveness, so the real number of breakthrough shedders may be higher than 10%.

This study was brief. It began with the date of the first shot in mid-December 2020. Thus 2 weeks after the second shot was end of January and the study ended the middle of March barely 6 to 7 weeks. So 10% or more of people when their titers were at the best broke through in a very short time frame.

Dr. Fauci has pointed out, repeatedly, that the fewer people shedding virus the sooner we come out from this pandemic. If 10% of vaccinated people may over a relatively brief period of time will be shedding then public health concerns would encourage all vaccinated people to be not selfish and not ignore the evidence that they may in fact be shedding. So protect others at least until everyone has been immunized who can be and will be. His message is absolutely not inconsistent with that of the CDC director nor the data. His message is based on the science to date and will change at some point when more data is available.

It is worth adding that this is not a study of the general population, rather those studied may be at higher risk of exposure as they all were in high risk jobs. However the study excluded those with anti-Covid antibodies from natural infection prior to the first shot and only 12% had natural antibodies despite being in the high risk job for nearly a year's worth of the epidemic.

Last edited by blueash; 04-01-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
I was (almost) hoping that the Covid vaccine would "leave a mark" on the injection site as vaccines did when we were kids ---evidence.

Then I thought, a little tattoo, not quite as elaborate as this guy's>>> mine would be imprinted on my tongue - so if someone questions me, I stick out my tongue at them. double meaning.
And this, or something like it, just might be the "vaccination passport" in the future
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	download.png
Views:	642
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	88913  
Old 04-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Default CDC Director

The CDC Director used the word “suggest”. That means the science is implied. So no guarantee yet, on if it is an actual fact. Thereby, they are erroring on the side of caution, until more research is done.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Just in the For What it's worth category...

TV is doing pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vaccine.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	88914  
Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 PM
John41

Quote:
I'm CONFUSED. So if we get the vaccine (we have) WHY does Fauci and others STILL insist that we must wear masks (two), restrict travel and other activities etc etc. EVEN with SCIENCE apparently countering with scientific data - clinical trials and real-world data - HER WORDS. What ?????

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a new interview celebrated data suggesting that those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 largely "do not carry the virus."

CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Monday that "our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus" or get sick.

"It's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data," she added.

Her comments seemed to be in reference to a CDC study released earlier on Monday that examined Moderna's and Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccines and found that in real-world conditions, they reduced the risk of infection by 90 percent two or more weeks after the second dose was administered. The CDC said the study demonstrated that the vaccines "can reduce both asymptomatic and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections."

Though Walensky expressed optimism over this finding and said "we can kind of almost see the end" of the pandemic based on the rate of vaccinations in the United States, she also reiterating her concern about COVID-19 cases ticking up.

"What I really would hate to have happen is to have another oncoming surge just as we're reaching towards getting so many more people vaccinated," she said.

Walensky had previously expressed similar concerns on Monday about a potential fourth surge in COVID-19 cases, saying in a briefing she has a feeling "of impending doom" while urging Americans to "please hold on a little while longer."

CDC director: Data suggests vaccinated people largely 'do not carry the virus'

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...185100232.html
The next surge is coming over the unprotected southern border. The covid infection rate there is 10% with the deadly Brazilian variant found also. But Fauci said he can’t comment on the border because he doesn’t know anything about it.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmckiou View Post
The CDC Director used the word “suggest”. That means the science is implied. So no guarantee yet, on if it is an actual fact. Thereby, they are erroring on the side of caution, until more research is done.
That sounds like Dumb and Dumber - where he asks if he has a chance, and she says not in a million years, which to him means, he has a chance.

I think we need to accept the fact that after the waiting period, an inoculated person cannot carry nor have the virus. But to take the one-in-a-million as proof that there is a possibility, and trying to take that to bank doesn't fly. You've got a better chance of winning the Poweball. Every daye. For a year.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
That sounds like Dumb and Dumber - where he asks if he has a chance, and she says not in a million years, which to him means, he has a chance.

I think we need to accept the fact that after the waiting period, an inoculated person cannot carry nor have the virus. But to take the one-in-a-million as proof that there is a possibility, and trying to take that to bank doesn't fly. You've got a better chance of winning the Poweball. Every daye. For a year.
How about one in ten, is that worth taking to the bank? (your information on the odds of winning Powerball is very wrong also)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-01-2021, 08:56 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
How about one in ten, is that worth taking to the bank?
one in ten chance of catching Covid after being vaccinated? Definately not that. Not sure what the one in ten is referring to..

However, the testimony was the chance of catching covid is nearly impossible, or rather no known cases after the waiting period, as real world studies show -in other works, after the successful vaccination the chance is effectively zero.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

How about out of respect for those that have not yet been vaccinated and need to go out to do essential things. Ever time they have to walk by someone without a mask they have no idea if that person has been vaccinated or not. I got my first shot and am scheduled for the second soon, but I will still be wearing a mask in public (indoors always and outdoors when near other people) because it is the unselfish and correct thing to do. Why can't people just mask up out of respect for others and stop only thinking about their own personal comfort? This pandemic has really shown an ability to separate those that are considerate of others and those that are totally self centered, and I will remember which category people fall in forever.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
one in ten chance of catching Covid after being vaccinated? Definately not that. Not sure what the one in ten is referring to..

However, the testimony was the chance of catching covid is nearly impossible, or rather no known cases after the waiting period, as real world studies show -in other works, after the successful vaccination the chance is effectively zero.
You clearly did not read the report you are referring to.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-01-2021, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
How about out of respect for those that have not yet been vaccinated and need to go out to do essential things. Ever time they have to walk by someone without a mask they have no idea if that person has been vaccinated or not. I got my first shot and am scheduled for the second soon, but I will still be wearing a mask in public (indoors always and outdoors when near other people) because it is the unselfish and correct thing to do. Why can't people just mask up out of respect for others and stop only thinking about their own personal comfort? This pandemic has really shown an ability to separate those that are considerate of others and those that are totally self centered, and I will remember which category people fall in forever.
I applaud your reasoning, with one small caveat. Once you've had shot number 2 and the requisite time has passed, you are no longer a danger (if you ever really were). So wearing a mask is simply to make others feel better, not to provide any level of protection.

The truly selfish are those that refuse to get the vaccine and except other to protect them. Now that Florida is hitting the 40+ age group eligibility, the danger within the villages has gone to NIL since everyone in TV who want the vaccine has gotten it.

I went to WalMart, Publix, and CVS and it was a walk up. All had the vaccine available with no lines.
Closed Thread

Tags
cdc, data, vaccinated, walensky, covid-19

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.