CNN Plans Eventual Switch Away from Cable TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2024, 09:24 AM
Gold member
Default CNN Plans Eventual Switch Away from Cable TV

CNN boss Mark Thompson says network faces 'existential crisis,' plans eventual switch away from cable TV.

"Thompson said that one possibility is to have CNN users register so that the network can then sell information about its audience to advertisers."

CNN boss Mark Thompson says network faces 'existential crisis'
Old 04-18-2024, 09:34 AM

Ooohh, I have so many jokes I could make. They practically write themselves.

But, ultimately, if CNN took itself behind the barn, so to speak, all indications are that few would miss it.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:13 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,769 Posts

Few people will notice or care.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-18-2024, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Few people will notice or care.
Very few.

IMO the only reason that CNN continued to draw breath for as long as it has, is the fact that virtually every major airport in the country with those big overhead TVs, have them tuned to CNN. You’re (thankfully) seeing fewer and fewer of them.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:33 AM

Personally I find the Certified News Network very enlightening as opposed to th the FAux News Network which had to pay a $897 million for its fake news regarding Dominion voting irregularities.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
CNN boss Mark Thompson says network faces 'existential crisis,' plans eventual switch away from cable TV.

"Thompson said that one possibility is to have CNN users register so that the network can then sell information about its audience to advertisers."

CNN boss Mark Thompson says network faces 'existential crisis'
The only thing that saves CNN now is that fact that it's on cable, and thus gets shown in every airport and business lobby as the "middle" between MSNBC and Fox News. Which has not been true for 20 years.

You move it to a purely on-line platform, and worse yet, make people have to pay for it al a carte, then if further slides into obscurity.

The shame is, there is a place for a middle road, but the heads of CNN want to continue to be thought of as cool and get invited to all of the cocktail parties. Proving once again, that we never really leave 8th grade.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,286 Times in 4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
Personally I find the Certified News Network very enlightening as opposed to th the FAux News Network which had to pay a $897 million for its fake news regarding Dominion voting irregularities.
Those "voting irregularities" are finally seeing the light...

Oh, and "Faux News"! Everybody drink!

-Tom Petty
Old 04-18-2024, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post

Warner Bros. Discovery is trying to dump it. You should buy it.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,122 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Warner Bros. Discovery is trying to dump it. You should buy it.
Cant see anyone dumb enough to pay to take it off Warner bros hands.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:03 PM

CNN will never go away the woke world will cry.. the next is that morning Joe and his ho show
Old 04-18-2024, 02:33 PM

There is a place for straight news, but unfortunately, it doesn’t make money. It costs a lot to gather news all over the world. Unfortunately, it’s a financial loser, which is why opinion networks emerged. That being said, the price of cable went so high that millions cut the cord and many millions more will do so in the future. CNN has the biggest challenge because their ratings are the lowest. But MSNBC and Fox News are not far behind. Look at the average age of Fox News viewers. It’s an unsustainable business model. I think CNN will be sold. Warner Brothers Discovery can’t afford a losing business entity. But MSNBC and Fox News have challenges in the future as well if the current trajectory continues.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
The only thing that saves CNN now is that fact that it's on cable, and thus gets shown in every airport and business lobby as the "middle" between MSNBC and Fox News. Which has not been true for 20 years....
I don't think that analysis is accurate, CNN paid airport authorities for exclusive right to run its content on monitors throughout the airport. It was a business deal. Nothing to do with being 'middle'. Look up CNN Airport it was a closed circuit channel, & in the beginning its 24 hour content was a selling point.

CNN was founded by Ted Turner.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 PM

I don’t watch any news anymore. All they do is report on their opinion. It gets pretty boring to hear that night after night. Gone are the days when networks didn’t require the news to be a moneymaker.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

My dad has CNN running from the moment he wakes up til he goes to sleep, except to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. I can't stand it, it's always [BREAKING] even though it's just opinions of hired "personalities" who discuss news from two days ago, or continue a tirade against this that or the other thing.

To me it's not much better than Newsmax, Breitbart, or MSNBC.

If I want to read about actual news I usually check with Reuters or Associated Press, and I check with CSPAN for live government streaming every so often. If I want to see something live that isn't something going on in the government, ABC and CBS usually have a stream going online.

I don't watch normal TV at all.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,769 Posts

CNN is simp[ly a propaganda organ, nothing more. Disinformation, misinformation and unfounded hate.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
cnn, eventual, switch, cable, thompson

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.