Colorado may increase prop taxes on short term rentals

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrey12 View Post
Wait until you buy and have 3-4 on your street with revolving doors, people coming at all times, noise, CHILDREN, etc. Many STR owners do NOT care who they rent to…they do NOT follow the rules…and neither do their tenants. That’s why we’re against them.
What specific rules are they breaking? Children are allowed here up to 30 days. People are allowed to make noise up until a certain time of the day. Do people not mow their lawn in your neighborhood? All you have to do is call law enforcement if they are violating the noise ordinance. Why do you care who rents out a house that doesn’t belong to you? They aren’t coming and going into your house. As the owner of my own home am I not allowed to come and go at all times as I please? If I need to leave my house at 4 a.m., who are you to tell me I can’t? Oh that’s right, nobody. It’s none of your business what anyone else does. Mind your own business
Old 12-24-2023, 08:36 AM
Default Great Article

As new owners, we are against these also. The problem got out of hand where we are from and our city had just started cracking down on it.

I was reading another article on St. Augustine. I saw another post about St. Augustine. They have come up some reasonable regulations. Here is another

Your browser is not supported | staugustine.com

They used the new state law to help them initiate a program. The only caveats the state has are:

You can’t ban vacation rentals
You can’t regulate the length or frequency of stays

That leaves the window open for so many ideas to bring the problems under control.

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA
Old 12-24-2023, 08:41 AM
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Residents deserve consistency and a sense of security with permanence. You will always deal with a variety of people day in and day out, but you should have the right to plop down in a place of stability to rest after your day. That place is your home. STRs disrupt that. They steal from you the respite required to live a balanced life with continuity and security.
Absolutely, we 100% agree with the expectation.

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA
Old 12-24-2023, 08:58 AM
Default Florida Regulation for STR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
There’s a bill in the Colorado assembly. If approved during the 2024 lawmaking session, the bill would classify any property used as a short-term rental for more than 90 days per year as a lodging property beginning in 2026.

That would nearly quadruple property taxes for an estimated 24,000 short-term rental properties in the state. The property tax assessment rate for lodging properties in 2023 is 27.9%. For residential properties, it was set at 6.765%.

Here’s an article on the bill
Colorado legislature will introduce bill hiking taxes for short-term rental properties | VailDaily.com

Could this be done in FLA at the county level?
Florida does regulate STRs under the Division of Hotels and Restaurants. Here’s a link to a which explains the requirements. It’s pretty specific.

Now, I do not believe we will ever eliminate all STR in TV. I do believe we can chip away at them by ensuring that these businesses are at least complying with current State regulations. If there’s a STR that’s a problem in your Village you can look up the address on the County’s Property Tax site and see who owns it and how it’s titled. If it’s a business you can then go to the Department of Business & Professional Regulations to see if they are Licened. Now if they are run through a Propety Management Company, that will be tougher because the Propety Management company would handle all that for the owner.

It’s a place to start. The next step is to begin proposing to the counties to set regulations.

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...s/5025_753.pdf
Old 12-24-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjLyness1965 View Post
Mind your own business
He has no “business.” He is a homeowner who lives in The Villages.The real estate investor who rents out his housing unit has the “business.”
Old 12-24-2023, 09:02 AM

We need something like this in The Villages. Higher taxes on property rented out with less than a three month rental lease.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:06 AM
Default Which CDD has the largest amount of STRs?

Within the villages, none of the CDDs have established rules for short-term rentals.

It's interesting to see that none of the deed restrictions have been modified over the years to prohibit STRs.

Is this problem more pervasive in newer sections of the villages where houses have been bought 100% for investment rental purposes?
Old 12-24-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
What specific rules are they breaking? Children are allowed here up to 30 days. People are allowed to make noise up until a certain time of the day. Do people not mow their lawn in your neighborhood? All you have to do is call law enforcement if they are violating the noise ordinance. Why do you care who rents out a house that doesn’t belong to you? They aren’t coming and going into your house. As the owner of my own home am I not allowed to come and go at all times as I please? If I need to leave my house at 4 a.m., who are you to tell me I can’t? Oh that’s right, nobody. It’s none of your business what anyone else does. Mind your own business
In a deed restricted community there is an expectation of some uniformity and consistency. In a 55+ community, there is also an expectation of, well, Community.

STRenters have an expectation of a Resort Style Vacation and, frankly, that’s how they behave. Many know they are leaving and feel they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want without consequences.

The two expectations collide. We all welcome our neighbors’ children and grandchildren who come for a visit. It that’s very different from having a revolving door of young families and or young adults that are here to blow off steam and party.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaE View Post
In a deed restricted community there is an expectation of some uniformity and consistency. In a 55+ community, there is also an expectation of, well, Community.

STRenters have an expectation of a Resort Style Vacation and, frankly, that’s how they behave. Many know they are leaving and feel they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want without consequences.

The two expectations collide. We all welcome our neighbors’ children and grandchildren who come for a visit. It that’s very different from having a revolving door of young families and or young adults that are here to blow off steam and party.
So they aren’t breaking any rules. Got it. What proof do you have that they are “blowing off steam and partying”? I think it’s hilarious that you think TV is some hot party destination for young adults. It’s not. You are exaggerating. Most are here visiting family and the easy solution is to put them in a STR. I don’t understand why so many people care about what happens in another persons house. You must really have nothing better to do if you’re so worried about what your neighbors are doing.

Last edited by PjLyness1965; 12-24-2023 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think I have a simpler solution that would apply only to The Villages. If you are the guest/family member of a resident NOT PAYING RENT, you can get a guest pass for any amount of time. If you are a renter/tenant/AirBnBer PAYING to stay, then you can only get a guest pass if you are staying 30 days or more. Without access to our amenities, short term rentals are much, much less attractive. The guest pass system is completely under the control of the developer, and I doubt any state laws regulate it. Could a coalition of Airbnb owners get together and file a lawsuit? Probably, but that would take them more time and money than they are probably willing to spend.
there is no limit on how many days a renter can get a lifestyle ID. The application has arrival time and departure time. I had a friend of ours want to check out the villages and we were going on vacation for 15 days. He and a friend came down and for $25 and a filled out Lifestyle ID application, they got Lifestyle IDs and I turned in my IDs at LSL before I left town. Why should they not have access to the amenities. I exchanged my rights for them to have the same??? Seems like a pain for an STR to do the same and probably don’t… I doubt they do but getting them guest IDs, that can happen. I did a quick check on **** and none of the half dozen rentals listed golfing in TV as an amenity so I’m guessing guest IDs for pools and rec centers. Some did not even mention those as amenities. If they did list golf, they mentioned the courses outside the villages.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
He has no “business.” He is a homeowner who lives in The Villages.The real estate investor who rents out his housing unit has the “business.”
Deed restrictions say you cannot run a business out of your home. It does not say you cannot rent out a property. There is no law against it.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMack View Post
As new owners, we are against these also. The problem got out of hand where we are from and our city had just started cracking down on it.

I was reading another article on St. Augustine. I saw another post about St. Augustine. They have come up some reasonable regulations. Here is another

Your browser is not supported | staugustine.com

They used the new state law to help them initiate a program. The only caveats the state has are:

You can’t ban vacation rentals
You can’t regulate the length or frequency of stays

That leaves the window open for so many ideas to bring the problems under control.
St Augustine is a good model to follow. They do regulate length of stay based on Zoning. Residentially zoned property RS-1 and RS-2 may not rent out for less than one week.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:25 AM

Perhaps all these owners of more than one rental that don’t live in TV should be required to actually live in TV at least 6 months of each year to prevent large corporations from buying up rentals for ROI purposes. This would separate businesses from homeowners.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Sort of unrelated to the thread ... but more than topical, if you get my drift.

When ToTV bans someone (revokes their right to post), they can just create a new "User Name" and start back up, where they left off?

ToTV doesn't check IP addresses and you can just make up another phony name?
Old 12-24-2023, 11:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Care

Quote:
I don’t understand why so many people care about what happens in another persons house.
You answered your own question. Partying etc. But there is much more than that. A neighbor impacts your quality of life because whether you know it or not, you schedule daily activity in your home to adapt to the external environment. Blinds or shades, driving precautions, social interaction with strangers verses known parties, apprehensive responses to unknown pet intrusions etc. It does matter if you must expend additional effort instead of being permitted to be more relaxed of course.

It’s not what goes on inside as you restrict in your statement, it’s also what spews outside. Noise, animals, children, cars, trash…In fact,, go one step further, does a rental unit research whether a tenant is a sexual predator or lifetime criminal? When should a neighbor be on guard? Always, because the social landscape changes so frequently?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Closed Thread

Tags
property, properties, bill, short-term, rental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.