Colorado may increase prop taxes on short term rentals

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2023, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjLyness1965 View Post
So they aren’t breaking any rules. Got it. What proof do you have that they are “blowing off steam and partying”? I think it’s hilarious that you think TV is some hot party destination for young adults. It’s not. You are exaggerating. Most are here visiting family and the easy solution is to put them in a STR. I don’t understand why so many people care about what happens in another persons house. You must really have nothing better to do if you’re so worried about what your neighbors are doing.
You are entitled to your opinion. But....Have you lived next door to an STR in the Villages? It is easy to say they are not a problem if they are not in your neighborhood.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:46 AM

Just another reason more people are leaving Colorado than moving in. Really sad as it is a beautiful state.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So they aren’t breaking any rules. Got it. What proof do you have that they are “blowing off steam and partying”? I think it’s hilarious that you think TV is some hot party destination for young adults. It’s not. You are exaggerating. Most are here visiting family and the easy solution is to put them in a STR. I don’t understand why so many people care about what happens in another persons house. You must really have nothing better to do if you’re so worried about what your neighbors are doing.
I don’t care what they do in their own house. I care what they do in the squares, the rec centers and the pools. As well as how they treat the staff that serves us. They come with an expectation that they can do what they want, how they want, and when they want. This is our HOME. NOT A RESORT.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
Perhaps all these owners of more than one rental that don’t live in TV should be required to actually live in TV at least 6 months of each year to prevent large corporations from buying up rentals for ROI purposes. This would separate businesses from homeowners.
The largest owner of rental properties owns 37 properties in TV, verified by the lady in the office. He lives in TV, we met him when we were picking up our ID’s in SS from our long term.

Very personable, glad to answer questions. 1/2 are long term, except for 3, the rest were mandatory 3 month rentals. He did comment on STR’s becoming the norm in new villages, instead of seasonal rentals
Old 12-24-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaE View Post
I don’t care what they do in their own house. I care what they do in the squares, the rec centers and the pools. As well as how they treat the staff that serves us. They come with an expectation that they can do what they want, how they want, and when they want. This is our HOME. NOT A RESORT.
The squares are public spaces and you have no business telling non-villagers they can’t be there. Whether you like or not, renters are entitled to use the pools and recreation facilities.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. But....Have you lived next door to an STR in the Villages? It is easy to say they are not a problem if they are not in your neighborhood.
I have no idea if I live next to an STR because I mind my own business. Again, what rules are they violating that upsets you so much? Or are you just mad because you stalk your neighbors and you’re not seeing the same people every day in and day out? That’s a ridiculous reason to be upset. Stop stalking your neighbors.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
You answered your own question. Partying etc. But there is much more than that. A neighbor impacts your quality of life because whether you know it or not, you schedule daily activity in your home to adapt to the external environment. Blinds or shades, driving precautions, social interaction with strangers verses known parties, apprehensive responses to unknown pet intrusions etc. It does matter if you must expend additional effort instead of being permitted to be more relaxed of course.

It’s not what goes on inside as you restrict in your statement, it’s also what spews outside. Noise, animals, children, cars, trash…In fact,, go one step further, does a rental unit research whether a tenant is a sexual predator or lifetime criminal? When should a neighbor be on guard? Always, because the social landscape changes so frequently?
No, I didn’t. But you admit renters aren’t the problem because full time residents are capable of all of these problems you just listed. I know for a fact TV didn’t do a criminal background check on you before you purchased your house so why exactly does the owner of an STR have to do one on everyone else to appease you? The level of entitlement is just astounding.
Old 12-24-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
There’s a bill in the Colorado assembly. If approved during the 2024 lawmaking session, the bill would classify any property used as a short-term rental for more than 90 days per year as a lodging property beginning in 2026.

That would nearly quadruple property taxes for an estimated 24,000 short-term rental properties in the state. The property tax assessment rate for lodging properties in 2023 is 27.9%. For residential properties, it was set at 6.765%.

Here’s an article on the bill
Colorado legislature will introduce bill hiking taxes for short-term rental properties | VailDaily.com

Could this be done in FLA at the county level?
Who cares… just another wacko liberal run State
Old 12-24-2023, 08:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,133 Times in 561 Posts
Default Predator

Quote:
No, I didn’t. But you admit renters aren’t the problem because full time residents are capable of all of these problems you just listed. I know for a fact TV didn’t do a criminal background check on you before you purchased your house so why exactly does the owner of an STR have to do one on everyone else to appease you? The level of entitlement is just astounding.
If a sexual predator does move in, they have to register. This gives everyone forewarning to prepare and adjust or avoid circumstance. A renter can come in for a week and be gone.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 12-24-2023, 08:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,175 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
If a sexual predator does move in, they have to register. This gives everyone forewarning to prepare and adjust or avoid circumstance. A renter can come in for a week and be gone.

Or a Liberal.
Old 12-24-2023, 08:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,133 Times in 561 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Or a Liberal.
Almost as bad

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 12-24-2023, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have no idea if I live next to an STR because I mind my own business. Again, what rules are they violating that upsets you so much? Or are you just mad because you stalk your neighbors and you’re not seeing the same people every day in and day out? That’s a ridiculous reason to be upset. Stop stalking your neighbors.
I do not stalk my neighbors. I have no reason to. I do, however, listen to those who live on streets with many strs. Driveways and streets are blocked, trash is left out which attracts wild animals, knocking on your door to ask questions or to borrow something, shouting and yelling etc. The renters are the stalkers. You go outside and they bombard you with question after question. You have no peace. Remember: this goes on again and again as renters come and go.When you report them, you are told "Sorry, we can't do anything because they are renters."

I do not live by an str. When I want to leave my home, I have no worries that my driveway will be blocked. I do not have to pick up strangers' scattered trash. Strangers do not knock on my door on a regular basis at all times of the day. When I walk my dog, I can enjoy the sun and fresh air. I am not a stranger's target and I do not have to answer their many questions as I walk by. Every resident in the Villages deserves the same as I have.

How many strangers could you deal with per week, month, or year at your home? I'm guessing, not many!

Last edited by Randall55; 12-25-2023 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,236 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
What specific rules are they breaking? Children are allowed here up to 30 days. People are allowed to make noise up until a certain time of the day. Do people not mow their lawn in your neighborhood? All you have to do is call law enforcement if they are violating the noise ordinance. Why do you care who rents out a house that doesn’t belong to you? They aren’t coming and going into your house. As the owner of my own home am I not allowed to come and go at all times as I please? If I need to leave my house at 4 a.m., who are you to tell me I can’t? Oh that’s right, nobody. It’s none of your business what anyone else does. Mind your own business
Anyone else smell the stench of a revolving door short term slumlord somehow trying to justify their inconsiderate neighborly actions?
Old 12-24-2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Many owners have done the same, rented for a week or two, and buy a house.

But, many renters (both long term and short term) are not nice neighbors, they are loud, have too many people in the house, etc.
If you live on a street with a lot of rentals, it is not a good experience for you, the full time resident.
But if they’re that bad you would them to move on whenever their stay is up. Imagine if they stayed?
Old 12-24-2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrey12 View Post
Wait until you buy and have 3-4 on your street with revolving doors, people coming at all times, noise, CHILDREN, etc. Many STR owners do NOT care who they rent to…they do NOT follow the rules…and neither do their tenants. That’s why we’re against them.
But if they establish rules that stop STR’s then it will stop all the people coming here and eventually buying. Believe me, you don’t want that. Property values will plummet.

Tags
property, properties, bill, short-term, rental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.