Cost Of Driving Electric Vehicle Equal To Paying $17.33 Per Gallon Of Gasoline, Study

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2023, 07:52 AM

Your source is not credible! Stop posting garbage and misinformation that is not legitimate. Pathetic!
Old 10-30-2023, 07:54 AM
Exclamation Check sources and then read a fact-based report on EV v. Gas

Truthpress.com is not a trustworthy site - Per MediaBiasFactCheck.com
"Overall, we rate Truth Press Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on promoting propaganda, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience. We also rate them Low for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources who frequently fail fact checks, blatant copyright infringement, and a total lack of transparency."

Now let's look at Consumer Reports - Per MediaBiasFactCheck.com
"Overall, we rate Consumer Reports Least Biased based on straightforward product reviews and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record."

Read the Consumer Reports article if you are interested in facts about the costs of EV vehicles:
Talk of the Villages won't let me include the direct link, but you can find it by searching:

Consumer Reports Will an Electric Car Save You Money?
Old 10-30-2023, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
How derned fast can you *read*??!
Haha! They say a picture is worth a thousand words. The points that I made were based on two pictures and a table - roughly three thousand words at a glance!

Reading the 150 or so pages is going to take much longer.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-30-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I knew it was very expensive to own and operate an EV, but this is way more than what I thought.

Cost of Driving Electric Vehicle Equal to Paying $17.33 Per Gallon of Gasoline, Study Finds - Truth Press
This article is a joke and not worth a response.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Of course the website is called "truthpress.com". Most of us recently have noticed a pattern where anything with the word "truth" in front of it is usually full of BS.

Hilarious that the article quotes "They give evidence", but then doesn't provide any evidence at all.
Heh. Auto repair shop up in Burnsville, MN bills itself as "Honest1" Auto Repair".

The times I've driven by there it was conspicuous for the empty bays.

If you have the need to tout your honesty, well...
Old 10-30-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
Can anybody just tell me what it cost them to charge their car at a charging station?
I've owned my Tesla for just shy of 3 years. For many of those three years, I primarily charged my car at work for FREE. So no cost to charge. On the days that I did charge at home in RI, it costs about $9 to "fill the tank", and I don't charge every day. I looked on my app for my FL charging cost. I have done one charge where the car was pretty low in charge and it cost $5 on my electric bill.

As far as charging at a Tesla Supercharger. I have not done that in Florida yet (every State is different) but in RI where I'm from it cost me between $9 - $15 depending on how much of a charge I needed.

One more thing to consider, there is virtually NO maintenance on a Tesla. In RI where there is snow, the suggestion was that every two years bring the car in to have the brakes cleaned. I did that once in RI and asked "ok, now what do I need to do" they answered "see you in a couple of years".

Also, there are no oil changes either. I absolutely love this car. For me, not knowing a lot about cars it's ideal, as the car will let me know if there is anything wrong. Best car I've ever owned!
Old 10-30-2023, 08:24 AM

Ford just posted record profits.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:33 AM

How many minutes does it take to get a full charge?
Old 10-30-2023, 08:34 AM

Even if the stat is true, I'd much rather pay that than support the middle east countries that supply us gasoline.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:37 AM

I mostly charge at my house or office and at both places (according to my utility bill) I am charged $0.18 per kW.
When I'm taking a long trip and I charge at a Tesla Super Charger I'm charged $0.39 per kW.
My car has a 100kWh battery. If I charge from 15% to 85% (that = 70% x 100kWh x cost of electric) or 70 x $.18 = $12.60
If I'm on a long trip using the same parameters and charging at the Tesla Super Charger the cost would be 70 x $0.39 = $27.30
Old 10-30-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Of course the website is called "truthpress.com". Most of us recently have noticed a pattern where anything with the word "truth" in front of it is usually full of BS.

Hilarious that the article quotes "They give evidence", but then doesn't provide any evidence at all.
Truthpress.com bought to you by a consortium of fossil fuel cos. (Sarcasm)
Old 10-30-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2015 View Post
It depends on what amperage you're using. At my house I have a 50 Amp breaker, at my office I on a 100 Amp service. At a Tesla Super Charger they use a very high powered service. I don't know what size, sorry. But it's very fast. At Tesla's fastest charging station it will go from 15% to 80% in the time it takes to use the bathroom and get a sandwich (15 minutes).
I don't pay attention to how long it takes at home because I plug it in every day when I get home and it's fully charged in the morning. Kinda nice having a full charge (or the equivalent of a full tank of gas every morning).
Old 10-30-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Can anybody just tell me what it cost them to charge their car at a charging station?
Not sure if this has been answered (didn't read the whole thing) but I'll give it a shot. My car gets a bit more than 4 miles per kWh of electricity but let's go with 4 for easy math. It is the base, cheapest, $32,000 model 3 and currently can go 260 miles on a full battery. 260/4=65 kWh. Superchargers are 30-35 cents per kWh and 97% of the energy coming out of the charger is going into the battery so 65kWh/.097% efficient X $0.35 per kWh =$23.45

We're paying a little under 13 cents/kWh for electricity here in TV so at home...where almost all of the charging happens...works out to $8.70 for a full charge. (One of the big things that people don't understand is that you charge at home at night, you don't charge at a supercharger unless you are on a trip)

Let's compare to our other car, 2017 Chrysler pacifica. 260 miles at 25mph = 10.4 gallons of gas. Let's say we're paying $3.20 per and that puts us at $33.28 for the same number of miles.

So in summary, a little cheaper at a Supercharger but only 1/4th of the cost per mile if charging at home. I hope this helps!

Joe
Old 10-30-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I knew it was very expensive to own and operate an EV, but this is way more than what I thought.

Cost of Driving Electric Vehicle Equal to Paying $17.33 Per Gallon of Gasoline, Study Finds - Truth Press
Overall, we rate Truth Press Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on promoting propaganda, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience. We also rate them Low for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources who frequently fail fact checks, blatant copyright infringement, and a total lack of transparency.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2015 View Post
In the southern villages you can get $7 back on your monthly electric bill if you charge between midnight and 6am. Plus it's better for the grid in general so lots of people charge at night. It's easy and a full battery ready to go in the morning (or 80% battery or whatever you charge to....for most (not all) Teslas they recommend 80% for everyday driving).

Mine charged for 1 hour and 20 minutes last night giving me 10kWh of charge and that is good for 40 miles...the amount I drove yesterday. We were almost empty Thursday night and it charged for 6 hours in the garage.

Superchargers on vacation give me roughly 10 miles per minute of charge so a 10 minute stop and we're good for another 100 miles. At the supercharges you don' t need your credit card or wallet, you don't input your zip code or say "no" to the car wash, you just grab the plug and stick it in the car. Mosey in for a "natural break", come back, pull out the plug and return to the charger, hop in the car and take off. Standing waiting for the tank to fill is a thing of the past and I LOVE IT!!!!

Joe
Closed Thread

Tags
operate, cost, thought, expensive, knew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.