Covid Vaccine Distribution

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2020, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Sorry coming from the front line, any essential workers need to be first.

Retired do not have a family to support, can shelter in place, and their income comes every month no matter what.

Those who can’t put food on their table, and their children are going hungry because of no income, or are working, taking risk, should be first.

I also believe we need to get the education system back to normal, so they should come next.

I stepped out of the first responders, so will gladly wait until the last or bypass altogether. To ensure those who are on the front lines come first.

But there are some who will say ME first, because I am special.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

By stepping aside it is a false notion someone else will come first (or sooner).
Noble idea but that is not how it works.
When one steps aside all there is, is one less in the line of the then current group.....all others will follow by their category....whether anybody steps aside or not.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
By stepping aside it is a false notion someone else will come first (or sooner).
Noble idea but that is not how it works.
When one steps aside all there is, is one less in the line of the then current group.....all others will follow by their category....whether anybody steps aside or not.
I have the ability to be vaccinated the day it arrives.I am #57 of 980. Everyone in our fishbowl will be vaccinated within 2 hours. But I am anaphylactic to the flu vaccine, I will not be in any category for my own well-being.
Plus being exposed to actual patients who were positive for 5 months, 16 hour days, 7 days a week, gives you a different perspective, than the general population. I actually know how many hours I was exposed, sometimes with less PPE than one should expect.
So no false notion, # 58 get the vaccine even if the don’t want it, or fired on the spot.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-07-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

In my opinion, the initial vaccine supply should be offered to those who are the most vulnerable. Health care workers who are always being exposed, and those who will most likely die from the virus. The factors associated with death have been studied, the most vulnerable can be identified. They need it first because that is where we will get the biggest bang for our investment. Each life is worth saving. Especially since we are talking only about a few months or so until anyone will be able to get it.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Perhaps you could provide a link to where you got this information about what the CEO of Moderna said as I can't find it. I suspect your statement is wrong. I suspect the CEO said the duration of protection is unknown which is obvious as they have only given it to test participants a few months ago so it is impossible to know if it lasts six months or 6 years. I suspect the CEO said they had good evidence of three months protection after the second shot NOT that they expected it to stop being effective at that time. So your source please?
I heard it from the news anchor while watching the 5:00 news on NBC. I am certain of what the news anchor said. I don't have a link that I can provide you. I try not to get my news from the internet, I don't trust the news sources.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I heard it from the news anchor while watching the 5:00 news on NBC. I am certain of what the news anchor said. I don't have a link that I can provide you. I try not to get my news from the internet, I don't trust the news sources.
Funny
Old 12-07-2020, 10:45 PM

The internet! Are you kidding me? And I don't trust television news either. i try to go to the original sources. CDC, etc.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Retired do not have a family to support, can shelter in place, and their income comes every month no matter what.

Those who can’t put food on their table, and their children are going hungry because of no income, or are working, taking risk, should be first.

I also believe we need to get the education system back to normal, so they should come next.

I stepped out of the first responders, so will gladly wait until the last or bypass altogether. To ensure those who are on the front lines come first.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:57 AM
Sage

We have lockdowns because the coronavirus picks on those who are elderly and/or have serious health issues and we are trying to protect them. If you vaccinate that group first then the motivation for lockdowns is removed. Also, less than 20% of the population is 65 or over (the vulnerable) - it is easier to vaccinate them because the relative numbers are small. Contracting the coronavirus has few consequences for those who are healthy and under the age of 50. Vaccinating healthcare workers is also a priority for the obvious reasons. The CDC guidelines on who should be vaccinated first is pretty much in line with what Florida has announced.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 12-08-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
CNBC interview of CEO of Moderna on November 30.

Interview with Stephane Bancel - Bing video
Old 12-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have looked at several of these plans for distribution and none are perfect. I will follow what ever Florida decides. I hope health care workers are first. There are several groups that make sense for second. I have reviewed one state plan that shows prisons are second. That one I disagree with. Yes they are more vulnerable, but most are young and in good health. My vote for second would be teachers, essential workers and then those that touch the general population like store clerks and restaurant employees. The elderly probably should be 3rd to lower the strain on health care facilities. But as stated I will follow what ever this state decides.

It doesn’t matter how they setup the sequence someone will complain about it.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:

As far as the education system goes in that post.........there are a lot of background facts missing. Namely, since there has been ZERO research YET on the effects of the vaccine on young children - CHILDREN are NOT getting the vaccine until PROVEN SAFE for them!!!!! They are CURRENTLY cleared by Medical Science to go to school because they have a natural immunity (for a yet unknown reason) to COVID-19. It is the ADULT teachers, janitors, and security guards that are at RISK when schools open. Therefore, young school age children will be the LAST to need a vaccine!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
As far as the education system goes in that post.........there are a lot of background facts missing. Namely, since there has been ZERO research YET on the effects of the vaccine on young children - CHILDREN are NOT getting the vaccine until PROVEN SAFE for them!!!!! They are CURRENTLY cleared by Medical Science to go to school because they have a natural immunity (for a yet unknown reason) to COVID-19. It is the ADULT teachers, janitors, and security guards that are at RISK when schools open. Therefore, young school age children will be the LAST to need a vaccine!
There is also an extremely big, big, big fact that came out today. Last summer, Pfizer offered a 2nd batch of vaccines to the US Government, which DECLINED the offer. Then Europe bought them. So Pfizer may NOT have a 2nd batch available for the US until maybe (?) June. Pretty bad advanced planning by the US.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:04 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
There is also an extremely big, big, big fact that came out today. Last summer, Pfizer offered a 2nd batch of vaccines to the US Government, which DECLINED the offer. Then Europe bought them. So Pfizer may NOT have a 2nd batch available for the US until maybe (?) June. Pretty bad advanced planning by the US.
The US already had enough vaccine to vaccinate the most vulnerable by the target date of the end of 2020. That was the goal. So it shared the excess with Europe just as it did with the extra ventilators the US produced.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
The US already had enough vaccine to vaccinate the most vulnerable by the target date of the end of 2020. That was the goal. So it shared the excess with Europe just as it did with the extra ventilators the US produced.
As of last summer, it seemed likely the developed-in-Germany-Pfizer-to-be-distributed vaccine would LIKELY (?) be the 1st available to the US vaccine. The US also had 4 or 5 other US manufacturers with a vaccine, including J and J. The US leadership, apparently, wanted to diversify its sponsorship bets. But, it still, looking back, may have been a mistake to not put Pfizer under additional US contracts rather than allow Europe to outflank us and buy up Pfizer's 2nd batch. The whole 1st world was, and still is, in a bidding war for CV vaccine, even Canada has bid for many doses of ALL upcoming vaccines. The 3rd world is out of luck for a while - until less expensive vaccines are available.

Unfortunately, in a Global economy, there can be CV spread from 3rd world to 1st and back again.
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, line, elderly, give, families

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.