Crt

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2021, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Jus Reported:

Dr. Ben Carson warned about critical race theory Wednesday, telling a crowd in Loudoun County, Va., the controversial ideology threatened to reverse racial progress Americans made.

"Tremendous progress has been made, and this critical race theory is trying to erase that progress and send us back in the other direction – and we cannot allow that to happen," Carson said.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammaiora View Post
Mr. "Helpful" is a Misnomer!.

It's okay Sheldon.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

If your truely care and want to undestand, not the strict policy which is not a lesson plan developed to be taught, but an understanding, but the birth of its politicization after being a fact for over 40 years this is a good read on how the term was established and then made an issue on Fox by TC.

How a Conservative Activist Invented the Conflict Over Critical Race Theory | The New Yorker

A Quote from the article…..when discussing the birth of the term CRT, a new term for a decades old educational theory..

“He thought that the phrase was a better description of what conservatives were opposing, but it also seemed like a promising political weapon.”

Having been personally involved in the conservative movement for many years, THIS was never an issue and was always understood for what it meant. It was never known as an threat to anyone. This is a decades old theory now twisted to a political weapon.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
If your truely care and want to undestand, not the strict policy which is not a lesson plan developed to be taught, but an understanding, but the birth of its politicization after being a fact for over 40 years this is a good read on how the term was established and then made an issue on Fox by TC.

How a Conservative Activist Invented the Conflict Over Critical Race Theory | The New Yorker

A Quote from the article…..when discussing the birth of the term CRT, a new term for a decades old educational theory..

“He thought that the phrase was a better description of what conservatives were opposing, but it also seemed like a promising political weapon.”
Personal opinion----Grade schools should go back to teaching "reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic", with American history and science. Maybe there could be an elective on CRT in the senior year of high school, preferably listed at the bottom of the last page of the course catalogue.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Personal opinion----Grade schools should go back to teaching "reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic", with American history and science. Maybe there could be an elective on CRT in the senior year of high school, preferably listed at the bottom of the last page of the course catalogue.
You obviously do not understand of what you speak.

Again CRT is not a subject taught and time reserved for. I do not know, but doubt very much if it is even thought about at the level of schooling you mention. IT IS NOT A SEPARATE LESSON, although it is certainly possible that a senior high school teacher may elect to teach, NOT CRT, but American history as relates to racial divide.

Problem for me is how the concept has been fine and dandy for over 40 years, until someone found a way to make it political, and THAT you all seem just fine with.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
You obviously do not understand of what you speak.

Again CRT is not a subject taught and time reserved for. I do not know, but doubt very much if it is even thought about at the level of schooling you mention. IT IS NOT A SEPARATE LESSON, although it is certainly possible that a senior high school teacher may elect to teach, NOT CRT, but American history as relates to racial divide.

Problem for me is how the concept has been fine and dandy for over 40 years, until someone found a way to make it political, and THAT you all seem just fine with.
Thanks for pointing out that I don't know what I am talking about. I didn't realize that until you pointed that out. Gee whiz, golly gash darn it, I had to take a break from slopping the pigs to understand your point

Back to reality. The pendulum is swinging too far, and I'm afraid there will eventually be push back that could be violent. History cannot be rewritten, teaching what happened 200 years ago should not be changed to suit those who still think that a certain group of Americans are "owed" something. My great, great, great, great grand father never owned another person, and even if he did, 200 years later I would have no "guilt" and I don't "owe" anybody one darned thing. The last thing we need in our schools and among our young is another excuse for underachievement.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out that I don't know what I am talking about. I didn't realize that until you pointed that out. Gee whiz, golly gash darn it, I had to take a break from slopping the pigs to understand your point

Back to reality. The pendulum is swinging too far, and I'm afraid there will eventually be push back that could be violent. History cannot be rewritten, teaching what happened 200 years ago should not be changed to suit those who still think that a certain group of Americans are "owed" something. My great, great, great, great grand father never owned another person, and even if he did, 200 years later I would have no "guilt" and I don't "owe" anybody one darned thing. The last thing we need in our schools and among our young is another excuse for underachievement.
I apologize if you were insulted. I simply was speaking to your presentation about young children and as if there was a time when kids are told….ok take out your crt books….or that it is even mentioned in any classroom.

A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.

Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.

That needs to be understood in history to understand todays events.

Should you feel guilty….if you do, it is on you….and to your comment about “History cannot be rewritten, teaching what happened 200 years ago should not be changed to suit those who still think that a certain group of Americans are "owed" something. ”

Nobody at any time, except on the shows I mentioned that accept this as a political weapon, ever suggesting rewriting history, only to understand it and the times which any good student deserves and wants to know.

And finally, we agree….”I'm afraid there will eventually be push back that could be violent” I have felt this for the last few years and as a recent example…TODAY a quote regarding the vaccination plan….to “take to the streets” over the new plan….that from a Governor. While not related to CRT, it depicts what I think is happening with, in my opinion, a shadow government. Calling the shots and hoping for violence. THAT is simply my opinion, and I pray that it is stopped soon and abruptly. We hear the same comments from elected members of congress, who then get standing ovations.

Again, sorry you took my comments so personally, but o much misrepresentation is a true bother to me as in todays world, the temperatures go up…..the false information is absorbed and never forgotten and suddenly to so many, it is a fact.

Last edited by Bucco; 09-10-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:24 AM

Do you mean the science that many of you don't believe in?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I'm thinking I was part of the problem: My daughter played T-ball. Everyone got a hit. Most hits were homeruns. Everyone was a winner.

Is that where it all went wrong??.......Everyone is equal, Everyone is entitled, Everyone is _______. Today "I identify as".

I might be the cause.
Everyone, regardless of gender, race, color, or economic status EQUALLY has just ONE vote as is the ideal of the US of A. So, a young impressionable GIRL seeing an EQUAL world in T-ball, does NOT strike me as TOO terrible. Plenty of time to MATURE and THEN be aware and UNDERSTAND the gray areas of why in practice the US has inequalities DESPITE its Constitution and laws that say otherwise. Young children and EVEN some ADULTS NEED unambiguous facts and situations. An immature mind (of any age) has problems with gray areas - actually, we all do - that is the power of half-truths and propaganda.
........As to "everyone being entitled".......I, personally, believe that real citizens of the US should be entitled to clean water, fresh air, freedom from hunger, and a roof over their heads (even if a tent or a dome building with a dirt floor)! This is because of ALL the rich RESOURCES that the US was blessed with - the great economy. In the 1950s (from which many of us have come) the US middle class was vibrant and alive with potential. All (whites) that wanted to work (not drink) had a VERY good solid paying job WITH A FUTURE! Today most parents know that their children's generation will NOT be as well off as they were.
I won't go into the differences between now and the 1950s because I could write a book about that. And I have in past posts. Thank you for indulging me and a good thread!
Old 09-10-2021, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
Do you mean the science that many of you don't believe in?
Not sure If you are speaking to me, but a reminder….YOU learned the term from TC on FOX as a suggestion for a political weapon. THAT you believe in ?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:58 AM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
They sure don't teach simple math anymore. Kids can't give change at retail and fast food joints. They can't tell time on an analog clock.
And making everyone a winner is actually making most of them losers.
Very well stated. Sadly, that is exactly what it does and nothing else.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Whatever happened to teaching useful stuff like science and math?
Its pretty obvious Science hasnt been taught for several generations. And the history that has been taught has been full of omissions and outright distortions.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
I apologize if you were insulted. I simply was speaking to your presentation about young children and as if there was a time when kids are told….ok take out your crt books….or that it is even mentioned in any classroom.

A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.

Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.

That needs to be understood in history to understand todays events.

Should you feel guilty….if you do, it is on you….and to your comment about “History cannot be rewritten, teaching what happened 200 years ago should not be changed to suit those who still think that a certain group of Americans are "owed" something. ”

Nobody at any time, except on the shows I mentioned that accept this as a political weapon, ever suggesting rewriting history, only to understand it and the times which any good student deserves and wants to know.

And finally, we agree….”I'm afraid there will eventually be push back that could be violent” I have felt this for the last few years and as a recent example…TODAY a quote regarding the vaccination plan….to “take to the streets” over the new plan….that from a Governor. While not related to CRT, it depicts what I think is happening with, in my opinion, a shadow government. Calling the shots and hoping for violence. THAT is simply my opinion, and I pray that it is stopped soon and abruptly. We hear the same comments from elected members of congress, who then get standing ovations.

Again, sorry you took my comments so personally, but o much misrepresentation is a true bother to me as in todays world, the temperatures go up…..the false information is absorbed and never forgotten and suddenly to so many, it is a fact.
No offense taken at all. I like to use hyperbole to emphasize a point
Old 09-10-2021, 12:25 PM
Sage
Red face

Quote:

I think basically the pendulum is swinging only because folks I have already mentioned seem to spend their time instead of discussing how to improve our country and write a much richer history instead spend their time “inventing” better ways to weaponize political speak in order to push that pendulum.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think basically the pendulum is swinging only because folks I have already mentioned seem to spend their time instead of discussing how to improve our country and write a much richer history instead spend their time “inventing” better ways to weaponize political speak in order to push that pendulum.
You might very well be correct, but I hope not
Closed Thread

Tags
thread, crt, shortest, life, 1rotfl1rotfl1rotfl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.