Crumbley Sentencing

Old 04-10-2024, 03:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,285 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylt View Post
We watched some of the sentencing. A 'slippery slope' as some legal analysts said.

BUT - yikes in this case, in THIS case it surely was correct for the parents to serve time.They both ignored serious mental issues with their son right up to the day of the shooting. Even bought HIM the gun that he used, several days before. Texts between the son and parents, right up to the shooting were so damning. And both of the parent's statements at the end were all about THEM, and little about the victims. If there is ANY case ripe for sentencing liable parents - THIS IS IT!!!

I always think of the VICTIMS - not the aggressors and convictees.
Great points agree
Old 04-10-2024, 04:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Today, James and Jennifer Crumbley were sentenced 10 to 15 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter for negligence in connection with the 4 murders committed by their son, Ethan, who was 15, in Michigan. I understand that they were probably negligent and could have done more to prevent their son from committing the crimes. But, they didn't commit the murders. I would also point out that Ethan was charged and sentenced as an adult, not a juvenile.

What about the hundreds of juveniles who walk around with illegal handguns and commit murders in cities like Chicago, New York, Baltimore and other cities every day. Some of these murderers are as young as 13 years old, they are out on the streets after midnight, and their parents have no idea where they are or what they are doing. In most of these cases, law enforcement doesn't even think about arresting or charging the parents with any crime at all. To me, this sounds like a very inconsistent and unfair legal system regarding arrest and prosecution. What do you think?
Is a 15 year old allowed to purchase a gun legally? No. Did his parents purchase the gun to give to him? Yes all while knowing he’s mentally unstable. Who should be responsible for the gun? The person it’s registered to. That’s the problem. It’s a responsibility to own a gun. I’ve seen too many times small children shooting and killing siblings, parents, friends etc because the gun owner didn’t have the gun stored properly. There should absolutely be consequences for the registered gun owner.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:24 AM

I agree with the parents being held accountable but, being from Chicago and witnessing so much inner city crime, I do agree that the same rules should apply when applicable. This “hypocrytical soft on crime with not being held accountable” stuff is making the crimes escalate.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:26 AM
Default Gun

Quote:
Today, James and Jennifer Crumbley were sentenced 10 to 15 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter for negligence in connection with the 4 murders committed by their son, Ethan, who was 15, in Michigan. I understand that they were probably negligent and could have done more to prevent their son from committing the crimes. But, they didn't commit the murders. I would also point out that Ethan was charged and sentenced as an adult, not a juvenile.

What about the hundreds of juveniles who walk around with illegal handguns and commit murders in cities like Chicago, New York, Baltimore and other cities every day. Some of these murderers are as young as 13 years old, they are out on the streets after midnight, and their parents have no idea where they are or what they are doing. In most of these cases, law enforcement doesn't even think about arresting or charging the parents with any crime at all. To me, this sounds like a very inconsistent and unfair legal system regarding arrest and prosecution. What do you think?
They knew their son had mental problems and they bought him a gun. Yes they are partially responsible
Old 04-10-2024, 04:49 AM

I think it set a precedent! This may be used in connection with facts they can prove. To compare kids wandering around big cities is not a fair comparison. What would the prosecution prove in that case against the parents. No hard facts. The fact that his parents bought him a gun and didn't secure it, the parents and the school never searched his backpack is really an issue. The parents fled and hid planning to leave the US - GUILTY!
Old 04-10-2024, 04:49 AM

Each state has their own laws and penalties for crimes committed. If more states followed Michigan's leadership maybe the crime by juveniles would drop.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:05 AM

Quote:

I believe you answered your own question in your question. "Some of these murderers are as young as 13 years they are out on the streets after midnight, and their parents have no idea where they are or what they are doing". These kids in Chicago, New York, Baltimore are in most cases living in poor and broken homes, their parents are not buying them guns. These two knew their son had problems and they buy him a gun, that is either stupidity or total disregard of safety for others. Even if they didn't care about others in his mental condition, he could have easily had used the gun on himself. These people should never had become parents.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,345 Times in 2,067 Posts

A small step in the right direction. Negligent parenting at its worst. But the cases should be judged with a heavy emphasis on the facts in each case. And a huge bow to equity.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:43 AM

I think parents that don’t get involved and pay attention to all the warning signs in their child’s life and the child commits a heinous crime like Ethan did should be held responsible
Old 04-10-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:

I think this sentence of the parents sends a message to all those parents you describe who don't know what their kids are or what they are doing. Civic leaders in all those cities you called out have been pleading for some time for parents to wake up and be responsible parents to help stop the unnecessary crimes by juveniles. Parents need to either put in the time parenting or they too can do time for their kids actions. I'm in support of this decision.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyarham View Post
They knew their son had mental problems and they bought him a gun. Yes they are partially responsible
Exactly , knowingly allowing some who is mentally unstable access to or much worse providing a deadly weapon makes you culpable, it is understandable that the emotional attachment one feels for their children can blind them , but there are limits,
Old 04-10-2024, 05:59 AM

Yes you can have it both ways. There are numerous cases where one adult is convicted of a crime and other adults are convicted as accomplices. The "non charging" of other teens in murders has more to do with the many liberal DAs than it does anything thing else.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

retiredguy....if they were your children or grandchildren, you would feel different I'm sure
Old 04-10-2024, 06:20 AM

A planned school shooting and gang violence are hardly equal.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Theyre lucky that’s all they got. They are just as if not more responsible for all this than their son. They helped him get the tools needed to kill people knowing he had mental issues. Shame on them.

Tags
murders, commit, crumbley, cities, parents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.