Crumbley Sentencing

Old 04-10-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, these parents should go to jail, but the parents of a 13 year old who commits a murder at 2am should not be charged with any crime?
I didn't follow the trial but we have to remember that each state has its own laws, which could account for the different approach to the same crime. School shootings are a particularly sensitive topic, as well! It does seem incongruent though to have him tried as an adult and then hold someone else accountable too. I suppose the case was made that they were "accessories before the fact". Sending threatening text messages (father) to the prosecutor probably didn't ingratiate him to the court either

FredF
Old 04-10-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
So, these parents should go to jail, but the parents of a 13 year old who commits a murder at 2am should not be charged with any crime?
Do the parents of kids in gangs (which is what you are talking about) actively enable their children as these parents did?
Old 04-10-2024, 06:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,894 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Today, James and Jennifer Crumbley were sentenced 10 to 15 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter for negligence in connection with the 4 murders committed by their son, Ethan, who was 15, in Michigan. I understand that they were probably negligent and could have done more to prevent their son from committing the crimes. But, they didn't commit the murders. I would also point out that Ethan was charged and sentenced as an adult, not a juvenile.

What about the hundreds of juveniles who walk around with illegal handguns and commit murders in cities like Chicago, New York, Baltimore and other cities every day. Some of these murderers are as young as 13 years old, they are out on the streets after midnight, and their parents have no idea where they are or what they are doing. In most of these cases, law enforcement doesn't even think about arresting or charging the parents with any crime at all. To me, this sounds like a very inconsistent and unfair legal system regarding arrest and prosecution. What do you think?
You may be right to suggest that all these parents should face criminal charges. With the right to bear arms (and purchase them) comes the responsibility of bearing them safely and not misusing them. With the right to bear children should be the duty to bring them up in the way they should go so they will not depart from it. The failure to do that may be nationwide, though most raise their children well. It’s hardest in neighborhoods with the highest crime rates, but it’s true that this is where the worst parents are found. It is terrifying for parents to have a child who is mentally unstable. This happens even to the best parents, though. Of course, the best parents seek help, and they don’t buy their kids guns.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDToto41 View Post
Each state has their own laws and penalties for crimes committed. If more states followed Michigan's leadership maybe the crime by juveniles would drop.
No. And yes.

I know it never happens quite the way it should in America but laws, to be most effective, should be applied equally across-the-board. The unfortunate reality is that the high-profile cases, particularly if those cases are in the sights (no pun intended) of the social crusaders among us, get often overwhelming media attention. Maybe, deservedly so...but how many juveniles died by gun violence on the part of other juveniles in 2020 in Detroit? Or Flint? Or Muskegon Harbor? Or Benton Heights? Or... and in those instances, how many parents were held to account for what their kid(s) did?

And why not?

I'm all for holding parents responsible for the misdeeds of their children. The way things are going it seems as if it would be the ONLY way to make a dent in juvenile crime. But to say that Michigan is setting an example would be a valid claim ONLY if Michigan is holding parents responsible across-the-board for the misdeeds of their children.

But they're not.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
Parents need to either put in the time parenting or they too can do time for their kids actions. I'm in support of this decision.
It might be difficult for parents working three minimum-wage jobs to pay rent, clothe, and feed their children to spend more time with them. I assure you that such parents love their kids and would love to be with them more, but time on the job and exhaustion make that impossible. Should they quit one of their jobs and maybe be evicted for not paying rent on time?

Most parents in the inner-city aren’t actively enabling their kids to commit crimes as these two did.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:00 AM

Understand what controls the (il)legal maritime law system. >B.A.R.=British Accreditation Registry.
State of Washington just removed the requirement of graduating law students to take the B.A.R. exam. Things will change. SLOWLY
Old 04-10-2024, 07:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
So, to you, the parents who have been told their son has mental problems, should go out and buy him a gun and keep it unsecured, and tell him to not get caught at school... should not face consequences since some 13 year old somewhere also committed a crime?
Old 04-10-2024, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Today, James and Jennifer Crumbley were sentenced 10 to 15 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter for negligence in connection with the 4 murders committed by their son, Ethan, who was 15, in Michigan. I understand that they were probably negligent and could have done more to prevent their son from committing the crimes. But, they didn't commit the murders. I would also point out that Ethan was charged and sentenced as an adult, not a juvenile.

What about the hundreds of juveniles who walk around with illegal handguns and commit murders in cities like Chicago, New York, Baltimore and other cities every day. Some of these murderers are as young as 13 years old, they are out on the streets after midnight, and their parents have no idea where they are or what they are doing. In most of these cases, law enforcement doesn't even think about arresting or charging the parents with any crime at all. To me, this sounds like a very inconsistent and unfair legal system regarding arrest and prosecution. What do you think?
I agree more parents should be held accountable for their delinquent childrens crimes.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,148 Times in 574 Posts
Default Not Equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I agree more parents should be held accountable for their delinquent childrens crimes.
Parents in some states cannot use corporal punishment. If you tie their hands, can you then hold them accountable? Dr. Spock wasn’t that great of a disciplinarian, Glasser wasn't exactly a Dr. Dobson either. Raising kids is not a cookie cutter situation. I’m for whatever works.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-10-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,929 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
So, to you, the parents who have been told their son has mental problems, should go out and buy him a gun and keep it unsecured, and tell him to not get caught at school... should not face consequences since some 13 year old somewhere also committed a crime?
"Some 13 year old somewhere"? There are hundreds of juveniles committing murders every year. Yet, none of their parents have ever been sent to prison.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,148 Times in 574 Posts
Default Extrapolating

Quote:
"Some 13 year old somewhere"? There are hundreds of juveniles committing murders every year. Yet, none of their parents have ever been sent to prison.
One 13 year old can be totally responsible with a firearm, another not. It’s poor judgment in the case you have brought up. Maybe the parents were mountain people wanna bees transplanted to the urban world? The Montana wilderness is much different than Detroit. Some do live in the Old Disney 60s mentality you know.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-10-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Political motivation.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
The boy was “unwell”. Yet the parents bought him a gun. There was a direct link. Your 2 AM accusation has a lot of voids and is too general to make a comparison.

Hopefully the beginning of some long needed “Common Sense Gun Laws”.
AND this is why they were charged. Political motivation

We don't need gun laws.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Tell that to the FAMILIES OF THE STUDENTS WHO WERE MURDERED. Get off your stereo typing bandwagon of so called crime in major US cities. You are parroting false propaganda. Do some legitimate fact checking on current crime statistics in the US. "Polly want a cracker!"
Old 04-10-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree, but there are hundreds of juveniles committing murders, but these are the only parents being held accountable. It should be evenly enforced. Also, this murderer was tried as an adult, so, the state argued that he was acting as an adult, not as a juvenile. He is either an adult, or he is a child. You can't have it both ways. If he is an adult, how can you blame the parents for his actions?
So far…..this will crack open the door for other cases

Tags
murders, commit, crumbley, cities, parents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.