DeSantis reverses course - great for Florida kids

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2022, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie1950 View Post
Very true, he’s looking at 2024 run for president,
Who could ever trust him with the next health crisis.
IMO, a respectable politician is one who DOES change their position for the betterment of the public they serve. I applaud him for this. I do not applaud the guy in DC who is steadfast in many wrong matters.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie1950 View Post
Very true, he’s looking at 2024 run for president,
Who could ever trust him with the next health crisis.
People should realize that the governor is not a physician, he has to rely on the experts that advise him. In the case of Florida, it was the state's surgeon general who went against the CDC advice and that of 49 other states and told the governor not to pre-order vaccine.

I applaud him for realizing that he got bad advice and reversed the state position

If one wants people who pick a wrong position and then entrench themselves in it, one should look to a 200 year old house that was rebuilt after the British burnt it down.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
People should realize that the governor is not a physician, he has to rely on the experts that advise him. In the case of Florida, it was the state's surgeon general who went against the CDC advice and that of 49 other states and told the governor not to pre-order vaccine.

I applaud him for realizing that he got bad advice and reversed the state position

If one wants people who pick a wrong position and then entrench themselves in it, one should look to a 200 year old house that was rebuilt after the British burnt it down.
Well, sort of. He picked the SG because of his anti CDC views and got what he asked for. Now he gets to be one person removed from the bad decision. Good politics but that's it imo
Old 06-18-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Well, sort of. He picked the SG because of his anti CDC views and got what he asked for. Now he gets to be one person removed from the bad decision. Good politics but that's it imo
I wasn't part of the process by which the surgeon general was chosen and have no idea of the reasoning that went into that choice. Were you??????
Now, if you want to discuss the criteria by which medical school applicants are chosen for admission, I have expertise having sat on an admissions board. But, I couldn't possibly disclose what happens since that would put me in the penalty box.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I wasn't part of the process by which the surgeon general was chosen and have no idea of the reasoning that went into that choice. Were you??????
Now, if you want to discuss the criteria by which medical school applicants are chosen for admission, I have expertise having sat on an admissions board. But, I couldn't possibly disclose what happens since that would put me in the penalty box.
Sometimes you just have to add 1 and 1 and trust the answer. Gov has bashed CDC from day 1. Gov needs a new SG. Does he pick a CDC supporter or the other guy? Not that hard to make a guess good enough for totv
Old 06-18-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Sometimes you just have to add 1 and 1 and trust the answer. Gov has bashed CDC from day 1. Gov needs a new SG. Does he pick a CDC supporter or the other guy? Not that hard to make a guess good enough for totv
The problem, as usual, is more complicated. I don't know if the SG was picked for his anti-CDC views or not. I can tell you that Rochelle Walenski, CDC director, is no rocket scientist and most likely a political animal as well. I have disagreed professionally with some of the stuff the CDC has pumped out, and I'm certainly not anti-CDC.
From a medical point of view, while I disagree (like most grandparents) with the original decision not to vaccinate young children, it does have some merit and is not 100% wrong----the pandemic is winding down--yes, there are new variants but they are less virulent, and young children are very unlikely to die or get hospitalized. My main concern was that they could spread the virus to susceptible adults, as well as the concept that denying the virus unvaccinated hosts helps hasten its demise.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohoos View Post
Great news - Governor DeSantis is now allowing pediatricians and other health care providers to order doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for kids 6 months to 5 years old. Florida was the last state in the nation to do so, but I congratulate the Governor for having the courage and brains to realize his initial position was wrong. Thank you Governor DeSantis!!!
Maybe it was wait and see decision….
Old 06-18-2022, 11:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Or has he?
Meanwhile, Florida Press Secretary Christina Pushaw claimed in a tweet that both the White House press secretary and the McClatchy news outlet in Washington, D.C., “are both spreading disinformation. NOTHING has “reversed” or changed. The State of Florida is not placing any orders of covid shots for 0-5 year old babies & kids.”
If this is true then DeSantis has not changed his position, the State of Fl is not ordering the vaccine for its youngest citizens, and pediatricians are placing orders directly with the Fed Govt and not through the State.
DeSantis's public position was the state would not buy the vaccine for children and did not allow pediatricians to purchase it. The backlash happened and he changed his position to allowing pediatricians to purchase it. The confusion comes in the pediatricians have to purchase it via state agencies, that is what DeSantis changed, to allow the pediatricians to do ahead. The state is still not purchasing the vaccines itself.

For someone that made a lot of speeches about allowing people in Florida to control the healthcare decisions of their children, he whoops big time with the initial statement/decision. He then had to backpedal.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Great news - Governor DeSantis is now allowing pediatricians and other health care providers to order doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for kids 6 months to 5 years old. Florida was the last state in the nation to do so, but I congratulate the Governor for having the courage and brains to realize his initial position was wrong. Thank you Governor DeSantis!!!
The Governor has not changed policy, Florida does not recommend giving the Covid vaccine to children 6 months to 5 years old since there is no study that indicates any benefit to the children. Doctors can order and give the Covid vaccine to children if they think its needed. This looks like a story planted by the White House to damage our Governor. Our media will print anything and do not check the facts.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurvisT View Post
The Governor has not changed policy, Florida does not recommend giving the Covid vaccine to children 6 months to 5 years old since there is no study that indicates any benefit to the children. Doctors can order and give the Covid vaccine to children if they think its needed. This looks like a story planted by the White House to damage our Governor. Our media will print anything and do not check the facts.
Pretty much goes against everything posted o n CDC. And DeSantis DID change position on allowing pediatricians to purchase the vaccine in Florida (for the infants).
Old 06-18-2022, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Pretty much goes against everything posted o n CDC. And DeSantis DID change position on allowing pediatricians to purchase the vaccine in Florida (for the infants).
DeSantis’ press secretary disagrees with you (see post #15). But hey, what do they know?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-18-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Initial position not wrong. These kids have a near zero percent chance of getting covid.
And what planet are you talking about!!! Kids have, are and will get Covid. That is like saying they will not get small pox, measles or polio. All are on the rise because of the lack of vaccinating thru out the world.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Exactly how is this great for Florida kids, unless they are immune compromised..??
Old 06-18-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
DeSantis’ press secretary disagrees with you (see post #15). But hey, what do they know?
The USA performance on COVID has been absolutely horrible in all areas, if you compare the USA with the rest of the world we are almost at the very bottom in deaths and cases, the last time I looked we were approx. 190 out of 200 total countries. How can we look at CDC as someone we can trust. The CDC and NIH have failed us completely. Facts do matter!
Old 06-18-2022, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I didn't need to be "told" anything when I got my vaccine. But the patient information was right there for me to read for myself. And it stated clearly that the vaccine is not a guaranteed immunization. It is a risk reduction and symptom reduction. It means you are LESS LIKELY to get covid and if you get it anyway, you are LESS LIKELY to experience severe symptoms.

That's what the patient information said, and it wasn't a lie, or an untruth, or a misleading statement. It was spot on easy to read plain old American English.

In addition, DeSantis was getting a lot of flack from not only his own constituents here in Florida, but the entire country, for being the ONLY state that rejected funds from the government to provide kids with vaccines. That is why he changed his mind. He is looking at 2024, and knows he can't alienate those who might become his new "base."

It's politics, nothing more or less.
Why did DeSantis reject funds in the first place? What was he thinking? Why deny those parents the right to vaccinate their children? I just don't understand his reasoning (or lack of reasoning).

Last edited by coffeebean; 06-18-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
desantis, governor, kids, florida, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.