Dilbert comic strip gone from newspapers

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2023, 04:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts
Default Dilbert comic strip gone from newspapers

Well, I am typically against banning or doxing or canceling due to stating opinions or such. But Scott Adams seems to have blown himself up. I reviewed his “Dilbert” strip every day in The Sun. Always enjoyed, as he always seemed to have the pulse of office and tech humor. It’s now out of many papers…. In this case I tend to agree with his demise. So be it. It’s gone, too bad.

—————

Newspapers across the US have dropped the comic strip Dilbert in response to racist comments made by its creator, Scott Adams.

Adams’ comments were in response to a poll that found 26% of Black people disagree with the phrase, “It’s OK to be white,” which prompted Adams to say,
“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with white people ... that’s a hate group. And I don’t want anything to do with them,” Adams said Wednesday. “And based on how things are going, the best advice I could give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people. Just get the f— away. Wherever you have to go, just get away. ’Cause there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed.”
Old 03-02-2023, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Well, I am typically against banning or doxing or canceling due to stating opinions or such. But Scott Adams seems to have blown himself up. I reviewed his “Dilbert” strip every day in The Sun. Always enjoyed, as he always seemed to have the pulse of office and tech humor. It’s now out of many papers…. In this case I tend to agree with his demise. So be it. It’s gone, too bad.

—————

Newspapers across the US have dropped the comic strip Dilbert in response to racist comments made by its creator, Scott Adams.

Adams’ comments were in response to a poll that found 26% of Black people disagree with the phrase, “It’s OK to be white,” which prompted Adams to say,
“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with white people ... that’s a hate group. And I don’t want anything to do with them,” Adams said Wednesday. “And based on how things are going, the best advice I could give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people. Just get the f— away. Wherever you have to go, just get away. ’Cause there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed.”
Much of what he's reported to have said was parsed out of a much larger narrative he made on his podcast... Much of what he said was obvious hyperbole...

The "media" are only showing a clip about 1:40 long out of a approx 6-8 minute narrative... It's what they do...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-02-2023, 05:02 PM
Default Dilbert

Anyone missing 'DILBERT'
Old 03-03-2023, 07:57 AM

Yep.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

I preferred Non Sequitur
Old 03-03-2023, 08:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

I don't agree with what he said but feel in a free country he had the right to say it.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

The Villages Florida
Old 03-03-2023, 09:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with white people ... that’s a hate group. And I don’t want anything to do with them,” Adams said Wednesday. “And based on how things are going, the best advice I could give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people. Just get the f— away. Wherever you have to go, just get away. ’Cause there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed.”[/QUOTE]

His math stinks and the stated conclusion from the pole is wrong. It would seem to me that that the pole was asking about a like or dislike of a phrase which could be perceived as a taunt depending upon how and when it is used, just as other racially dividing phrases could be perceived.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
His math stinks and the stated conclusion from the pole is wrong. It would seem to me that that the pole was asking about a like or dislike of a phrase which could be perceived as a taunt depending upon how and when it is used, just as other racially dividing phrases could be perceived.
He also commented that 21% responded "that they were not sure" if it was OK to be white...

26 + 21 = 47, which is "nearly half"...

You would have known that, if you had actually watched the video of what he said...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 03-03-2023, 01:10 PM

He has been dropped by syndicator everywhere including merchandising. Dilbert will only be on Scott Adams Locals subscription for $5/mo.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
He also commented that 21% responded "that they were not sure" if it was OK to be white...

26 + 21 = 47, which is "nearly half"...

You would have known that, if you had actually watched the video of what he said...

The Villages Florida
If the data someone provides is wrong or incomplete, don't expect others to validate, especially since the irrelevant conclusion still exists.

I wouldn't waste my time reviewing the video.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
If the data someone provides is wrong or incomplete, don't expect others to validate, especially since the irrelevant conclusion still exists.

I wouldn't waste my time reviewing the video.
Then how do you know the conclusion is irrelevant? From a parsed out quote, designed to get clicks?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-03-2023, 10:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Then how do you know the conclusion is irrelevant? From a parsed out quote, designed to get clicks?
A conclusion that half of black people hate whites because someone states that they dislike a statement is irrelevant in my opinion, I feel entitled without reading the entire poll or studying all questions and answers. We don't know the makeup of the group polled, cannot verify that their answers were properly interpreted or tallied. We don't know the nature of how the statement was interpreted. It really is my right to come to my own opinion based upon the info given.
Just like opinions are made on the issue of global warming. Nobody on this site has total knowledge from reading all sides of the issue. We read what we want to read and form an opinion.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:39 AM
Veteran member

Butcher, Baker or Candle, Stick Maker it doesn’t matter what your job is, it is a job which you are getting paid to perform. Though this is a free country and people should have the right to express their opinions, if you decided to make your opinions public especially if they are controversial there could be a price to pay. In this case his employer saw it affecting their bottom line and did not want to be entangled in Mr. Adam’s self-inflicted controversy.

Remember these publications also have the right in this country to fire and hire who they want. Scott Adams, I would assume is intelligent, he took a stand and now he is paying the price. Six months from now in this fast-paced world most people will forget this was even an issue, on the other hand Mr. Adams will have to ponder if this was a wise move.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:59 AM

Today freedom of speech can cost you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.