Earth Receives Message from 10 Million Miles Away

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2023, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When I was a kid, we laughed at the absurdity of Dick Tracy and his two-way radio watch.
We now have them, and can practically run our lives with the things.

"Beam me up Scotty" became a joke expression.
The way things are going, wont be long before the first thread on TOTV appears about reckless transporters going the wrong way while beaming around space roundabouts!
Old 11-26-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
It would take 4.3 years moving at the speed of light to reach the nearest star. Space is really big. Bigger than anyone can imagine.

Add in the additional issues of the power needed, and all of the issues of time and relativity when traveling at the speed of light, it is a pretty good bet that we have never been visited, and we will never visit them or hear from them, assuming there is anything out there other than us.

And if you want to look at it from a Judeo-Christian religious perspective, there is no need for other intelligent life other than humans.
Well said. Einstein showed that the speed limit in space is the speed of light. Not only is it not feasible that our messages will reach some life form that would be able to understand them, it is not feasible they could ever visit us even if they wanted to. Personally, I think we are alone aside from those creatures mentioned in the bible. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong aside from some mathematical hypothesis.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Einstein also thought the speed of light is constant but we now know it’s not. We thought we knew the age of the universe sine the Big Bang. But now the Webb telescope has brought this belief into question. We don’t know what we don’t know. If the being that created our simulation decides to have aliens visit us, they will visit us.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Einstein also thought the speed of light is constant but we now know it’s not. We thought we knew the age of the universe sine the Big Bang. But now the Webb telescope has brought this belief into question. We don’t know what we don’t know. If the being that created our simulation decides to have aliens visit us, they will visit us.
"We don’t know what we don’t know."

Sums it up perfectly.

And until we know what we don't, it seems pretty close-minded to conclude that we never will.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
We know that the speed of light is not constant? From Wikipedia: it has been suggested in various theories that the speed of light may have changed over time. No conclusive evidence for such changes has been found, but they remain the subject of ongoing research.

From theorized by some to "we know" is about as far apart as one side of the universe is to the other in the realm of science.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
We know that the speed of light is not constant? From Wikipedia: it has been suggested in various theories that the speed of light may have changed over time. No conclusive evidence for such changes has been found, but they remain the subject of ongoing research.

From theorized by some to "we know" is about as far apart as one side of the universe is to the other in the realm of science.
Newer research has found speed of light can be slowed. No evidence so far it can go faster but it’s not always constant. Wikipedia isn’t the best source for all updated info. Speed of light not so constant after all
Old 11-27-2023, 01:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
True, but considering that radio waves travel at the speed of light (as do TV signals), those signals have already reached 75 star systems, with that number growing all the time. If there are intelligent beings within that range who are capable of at least the science we have, it is a good bet that they know about us--at least to the extent that our media represents our civilization, which come to think of it is pretty negative most of the time.

Maybe they figure that we're not worth striking up a conversation. If all I knew of us is what is on our news and entertainment media, I know I'd come to that conclusion.
No doubt, there is a race of spacefaring monsters out there, glued to their TV's, and on the verge of attacking the moment they discover that Dallas season 9 was just a dream -- which is exactly the plot of a Futurama episode. "Lrrrr", ruler of Omicron Persei 8, invades, conquers Earth, and goes away -- and Earth goes right back to the same lunacy we consider normal, here on our planet of backward lunatics.

The fact is, here in the real world, those radio waves would have degraded so far by the time they made it to the first star system, that even if it happened to be inhabited by an "advanced" civilization, they probably wouldn't have recognized what it was, even if they knew what to look for. Think about it -- this thread started with someone marveling that NASA managed to communicate over a mere 10 million miles -- and they had to use a focused laser to do it, with someone at the other end looking for it. Meanwhile, the nearest star is 500 thousand times farther than NASA's little experiment.

The most likely scenario is that, in a universe of a billion-billion stars, Earth TV transmissions probably won't make it to an advanced civilization until centuries after we're radioactive dust. That's how unimaginably huge the Universe is. There are undoubtedly millions of advanced civilizations in the Universe. The fact that we didn't detect one of them the moment SETI switched on the giant Arecibo antenna, tells you that we will never hear from any of them.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:39 PM

Right on predicted schedule from the seditious N.W O. deep state, NASA included...Don't be bamboozled again, election year ahead don'cha know...
Old 11-27-2023, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
No doubt, there is a race of spacefaring monsters out there, glued to their TV's, and on the verge of attacking the moment they discover that Dallas season 9 was just a dream -- which is exactly the plot of a Futurama episode. "Lrrrr", ruler of Omicron Persei 8, invades, conquers Earth, and goes away -- and Earth goes right back to the same lunacy we consider normal, here on our planet of backward lunatics.

The fact is, here in the real world, those radio waves would have degraded so far by the time they made it to the first star system, that even if it happened to be inhabited by an "advanced" civilization, they probably wouldn't have recognized what it was, even if they knew what to look for. Think about it -- this thread started with someone marveling that NASA managed to communicate over a mere 10 million miles -- and they had to use a focused laser to do it, with someone at the other end looking for it. Meanwhile, the nearest star is 500 thousand times farther than NASA's little experiment.

The most likely scenario is that, in a universe of a billion-billion stars, Earth TV transmissions probably won't make it to an advanced civilization until centuries after we're radioactive dust. That's how unimaginably huge the Universe is. There are undoubtedly millions of advanced civilizations in the Universe. The fact that we didn't detect one of them the moment SETI switched on the giant Arecibo antenna, tells you that we will never hear from any of them.
Yet, the SETI program continues.

Is it possible that the folks in charge of that program have a bit more insight into the possibilities of contact being made than either you or I?
Old 11-27-2023, 04:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Is it possible that the folks in charge of that program have a bit more insight into the possibilities of contact being made than either you or I?
Probably maintaining their jobs & benefits, are their prime insight.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:

Actually, no, the folks in charge of SETI have no more insight into the possibility of contact being made than any of us. In order to have more insight they would need to know that there was something out there to contact. Conspiracy theories aside, there is no proof that there is anything out there. the SETI scientists don't have a clue whether contact will ever be made and neither do we.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-28-2023, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:

Certainly possible... and yet SETI has never found anything in the 44 years since Carl Sagan founded it. I applaud science for making the attempt. But I am disgusted that "science" continues to blow billions of our tax dollars on the project, 44 years after it failed.

Real science follows the scientific method and rejects a theory when it is proven false. Fake "science" will slavishly follow a pretty theory, even after a 100 years and 100 million dead prove it false.

Fake "science" has become an industry that wastes most of the few brilliant minds born each year, to study new and better ways to separate citizens from their tax dollars.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Certainly possible... and yet SETI has never found anything in the 44 years since Carl Sagan founded it. I applaud science for making the attempt. But I am disgusted that "science" continues to blow billions of our tax dollars on the project, 44 years after it failed.

Real science follows the scientific method and rejects a theory when it is proven false. Fake "science" will slavishly follow a pretty theory, even after a 100 years and 100 million dead prove it false.

Fake "science" has become an industry that wastes most of the few brilliant minds born each year, to study new and better ways to separate citizens from their tax dollars.
How long have we been looking for a cure for cancer? Should we declare that a failed attempt and stop spending money on it?

Absence of proof is not proof of absence. It's a big universe out there; it is very likely that we haven't looked in the right direction at the right time and in the right way to notice that we are not alone.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-28-2023, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:

Actually, SETI is privately funded and has been since 1993.

" Contrary to popular belief, and their Form 990, no government funds are allocated for its SETI searches" (Wikipedia). NASA and other agencies, in conjunction with doing their own research projects, may use SETI from time to time in pursuit of that, and pay their way accordingly.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
SETI is killing 100 million people?
Closed Thread

Tags
communications, million, miles, transmitted, earth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.