Old 07-20-2022, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

For sure he's no Warren Buffett
Old 07-20-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herremans View Post
Al kaline thought that no baseball player was worth 100000 ,now peeple are getting a couple hundred mill (inflation)
Fans are the gullible ones. Watching a kids game at overinflated price.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
For sure he's no Warren Buffett

Agree, he pays more taxes than his secretary…..
Old 07-20-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
First, as one of the richest men in the world, I will respect his financial planning over any random stranger on the internet.

He did not confide in me on why he wanted Twitter, but $44B is pocket change, so it may have been nothing more than a political statement.

Twitters assets are its clients, that is what he was buying. He said that he had reason to believe they lied about actual numbers or real clients, and many of the accounts were bots. If the lied, that would invalidate the contract.

I have not idea if he is a business genius, but he has innovated several high tech fields more than anyone ever. He is the only viable launch system the US has right now, is offering a global internet to people that never had it before, is perfecting brain computer interfaces, has demonstrated a viable EV, is drilling tunnels faster and cheaper than anyone, has a new cell phone in development, and is preparing a personal robot for sale. If he feels like making a $44B political statement with his petty cash, I don’t see any reason I would want to figure out why…
Remember, Tesla is what it is today because our government bailed him out to get the company up and running. He may be a "genius" with innovative ideas but I don't think he is a financial genius!
Old 07-20-2022, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Elon musk only put up 5% of the $44 billion, the banks are putting up the rest so he put up about two and a half billion out of his assets, so I would say that's like you or me buying a car for 1,000 down that's worth $45,000, wouldn't you consider that pocket change???
No, not if he borrowed the money from the banks and needs to pay it back.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:35 AM

Facebook is just a website
Old 07-20-2022, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammaiora View Post
Remember, Tesla is what it is today because our government bailed him out to get the company up and running. He may be a "genius" with innovative ideas but I don't think he is a financial genius!
I haven't looked lately, but as far as I know he paid back any loans he got. Same as GM, shall we compare growth rates between Tesla and GM?

Last edited by MartinSE; 07-20-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:50 AM
Default Elon's trajectory

Elon was my hero for a long time. But then, hubris started creeping in to his persona. He decided he was so rich that certain laws (such as the covid regulations in CA) didn't apply to him. He ****ed all over the SEC which thankfully regulates our stock market. Now every time we see him he is dancing and prancing on stage like a Broadway queen with a stupid grin on his face. The whole thing with Twitter is indicative of poor planning and a super-inflated ego. And he is slowly thinking he can effect American politics, God forbid. He needs to take some lessons from Warren Buffett.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No, not if he borrowed the money from the banks and needs to pay it back.
Why not? l seriously. Companies borrow money for expanion, development, etc all the time because it is cheap money. Oil companies are not drilling in the US right now because the banks that finance drilling took a beating last time they went on a drilling spree. Borrowing money is a fine old fashion financial strategy. If borrowing is cheap than taking cash out of something else it is a good idea.

So, now everyone can explain why it was a bad idea for Musk, because everyone else understands the intimate details of his holdings.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
Elon was my hero for a long time. But then, hubris started creeping in to his persona. He decided he was so rich that certain laws (such as the covid regulations in CA) didn't apply to him. He ****ed all over the SEC which thankfully regulates our stock market. Now every time we see him he is dancing and prancing on stage like a Broadway queen with a stupid grin on his face. The whole thing with Twitter is indicative of poor planning and a super-inflated ego. And he is slowly thinking he can effect American politics, God forbid. He needs to take some lessons from Warren Buffett.
Why should Twitter or Facebook affecting politics be any different than Musk? Musk seems to be for free speech at least.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:02 AM

This is my twitter……
Old 07-20-2022, 08:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
I see so HE should take advice from YOU on how he should behave. How American of you to tell someone else what they should and should not do.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Elon has the Midas touch. Anyone who can go from (relative) obscurity to the richest person in the world with a net worth of 233.7 bn. doesn't have much to prove to anyone.
His midas touch was fuelled by family wealth from South Africa. No one who thinks he should spread his seed around as much as possible is fit to be called a genius. Narcissist is more appropriate including the observations that he has strong spectrum affinities.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
His midas touch was fuelled by family wealth from South Africa. No one who thinks he should spread his seed around as much as possible is fit to be called a genius. Narcissist is more appropriate including the observations that he has strong spectrum affinities.
What has being on the spectrum have to do with anything?
Old 07-20-2022, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Why not? l seriously. Companies borrow money for expanion, development, etc all the time because it is cheap money. Oil companies are not drilling in the US right now because the banks that finance drilling took a beating last time they went on a drilling spree. Borrowing money is a fine old fashion financial strategy. If borrowing is cheap than taking cash out of something else it is a good idea.

So, now everyone can explain why it was a bad idea for Musk, because everyone else understands the intimate details of his holdings.
I was just saying that, if he borrowed the money, it is not pocket change. He is still spending $44 billion. I didn't say that borrowing money, in general, was a bad idea.
Closed Thread

Tags
twitter, musk, $44, contract, website

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.