EVs pollute more than gas vehicles!

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2024, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Default EVs pollute more than gas vehicles!

Well, here's my shocked face :-|. Wait, ya mean there's been an agenda being pushed all these years? Nooooo, I don't believe that.

Sorry, it's not a FoxNews link, you can't just dismiss it because you don't like the source (ostrich syndrome).

Electric cars release MORE toxic emissions than gas-powered vehicles and are worse for the environment, finds shock report | Daily Mail Online
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 03-04-2024, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Well, here's my shocked face :-|. Wait, ya mean there's been an agenda being pushed all these years? Nooooo, I don't believe that.

Sorry, it's not a FoxNews link, you can't just dismiss it because you don't like the source (ostrich syndrome).

Electric cars release MORE toxic emissions than gas-powered vehicles and are worse for the environment, finds shock report | Daily Mail Online
Interesting articles. EVs produce more particles from tire wear than gasoline engines produce in exhaust. Okay, but how do the particles from EVs compare to particles from cars with gasoline engines? I get 40K miles from my tires, if EVs produce 400 times the particles that must mean 400 times the wear and so they should last 400 times less or about 100 miles. I don't hear many people talking about changing their EV tires every 400 miles.

The article mentions "particulate matter (air pollution)" several times yet then goes on to say "the majority of particulate emissions released from the tire go directly into the soil and water, while exhaust negatively affects the air quality." It doesn't seem like air pollution if it doesn't go into the air.

So a tires to exhaust comparison? A soil and water pollution to air pollution comparison? An apples to oranges comparison?

The headline is impressive, the data... not so much (at least the way this article presented it).

It will be interesting to read the study.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-04-2024, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Are you people even serious? The daily mail is in the same category of tabloid journalism as the National Enquirer. No wonder we have so many ill informed people in this country if this is the type of trash that they use as their source of information. Unbelievable.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Are you people even serious? The daily mail is in the same category of tabloid journalism as the National Enquirer. No wonder we have so many ill informed people in this country if this is the type of trash that they use as their source of information. Unbelievable.
I get all my news from Mother Jones and MSNBC.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Interesting articles. EVs produce more particles from tire wear than gasoline engines produce in exhaust. Okay, but how do the particles from EVs compare to particles from cars with gasoline engines? I get 40K miles from my tires, if EVs produce 400 times the particles that must mean 400 times the wear and so they should last 400 times less or about 100 miles. I don't hear many people talking about changing their EV tires every 400 miles.

The article mentions "particulate matter (air pollution)" several times yet then goes on to say "the majority of particulate emissions released from the tire go directly into the soil and water, while exhaust negatively affects the air quality." It doesn't seem like air pollution if it doesn't go into the air.

So a tires to exhaust comparison? A soil and water pollution to air pollution comparison? An apples to oranges comparison?

The headline is impressive, the data... not so much (at least the way this article presented it).

It will be interesting to read the study.
Wouldn’t that make it worse polluting the ground and water? At least that thing that was invented for exhaust emissions in mid 70s scrubs most carbon monoxide out of air.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I get all my news from Mother Jones and MSNBC.
I only listen to Bernie.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
IMO Actually they are fair with no agendas. Attack everyone. More than I can say about most news sources.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

Great, now you've done it!

That post is sure to draw out 2 of my "favorite" posters and their global warming fantasy tirade.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:14 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

…………AND We’re Off!

While I have no intention of buying an EV, my reasons have nothing to do with loaded tabloids like The Daily News. I like my dependable old Accord and have no need to buy a car that costs more than my first house — and that would be ANY car these days.

But when did Americans lose the ability to think for themselves, to read between the lines, to look deep for the motive behind what is very loosely called news, to NEVER fall for the old divide-and-conquer game, and to make decisions based on the pros and cons…….

Speaking of cons, by now we all should know that the old “Do your own research” pukefest of a line we have been hearing for years simply means that you can go online and find lots of articles to agree with your own narrow opinion.

You can then bask in your own echo chamber and never have to bother to look any further or to welcome an exchange of ideas.

Maybe branch out, expand horizons, and instead of clinging to such sources as The Daily News, tune in to The Daily Show, but only on Monday nights, 11 PM, Comedy Central because Jon Stewart has returned — but he works only on Mondays.

If you think you might like good satire instead of tabloid hype style, you might end up laughing and having a good time in my echo chamber.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-04-2024 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:35 AM
Default Beating a dead horse

Look this is beating a dead horse.
One side believes EVs are going to save the planet and the other side will try to find any faults with EVs.
Let take a look at reality, EVs are evolving and if we ignore that fact it will be at our peril.
This is a new market, and the Chinese are already capturing the European market with their EVs.
We will wake up one day and find we no longer have an auto industry because we refuse to accept change.
This has nothing to do with pollution or saving the planet, this comes down to profits.
The very people that are pro ICE will wake up one day, not look in the mirror and try to find someone to blame that China has taken all our auto industry jobs.
If this industry and our country is going to survive, we have to invest in the future and I'm not just talking about EVs.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

The Daily Mail is a right (far) of center newspaper.
Extravagant headlines sell papers.
The Mail has a long history of over egging the omelette, and exaggeration. As long as there is a source, however way out, if it will sell a paper, they will publish.
Their retractions and lawsuit payouts are testimony to their "print and be damned" style.
Must confess to buying it every Friday and Saturday though.
It has the best television program schedule of any other newspaper on Saturday, and my favorite journalist (Littlejohn) on Fridays.

Last edited by Two Bills; 03-05-2024 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

Bear in mind that the Daily Mail is wildly popular in the UK because it’s a scandal rag that will twist the facts of any story to get more sales. This is the paper that launched the garbage about The Villages being a hotbed of STDs with beds full of swingers. Twisted data that gives a false conclusion.

I drive a Prius Prime. That has gasoline engine and batteries I recharge in my garage that will give me about twenty-five miles of driving without the gas engine coming on. That covers most of my driving unless I’m going to the airport or something. As a result, over four years in The Villages, the car is averaging 150 miles per gallon of gas—far better than your golf cart. Given the low cost of electricity here, when I’m running on battery only, it costs me about two cents per mile. If I were to drive to Minneapolis in the winter, starting the car wouldn’t be a problem because it would run on gas until the batteries warm up.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

With the condition of our two existing cars, and the low number of miles we drive yearly, our two cars could easily last another 10 years. Unless we crack one up, any car purchase before that would be discretionary.
If we approach the far end of that range it will be interesting to see what is available and with a reliable track record by then. It will be even more interesting to see if any of that is affordable to us.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

So funny you only believe what fits your narrative no matter what the source is. Can you really believe that tire dust from electric vehicles is worse for the environment than tailpipe exhaust fumes.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:55 AM
Default Stolen

Right. And the election was stolen. Oswald had 12 accomplices and we never made it to the moon.

Quote:

Closed Thread

Tags
evs, foxnews, link, nooooo, dismiss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.