FL Senate Bill 280 heads to DeSantis to sign

Old 03-07-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Demanding legislation that will result in vacant homes, an increase in homes on the market, the loss of property rights, increased restrictions and higher taxes just doesn't sound like a path to increased home values.
hoping for / looking for increasing house prices isn't the goal you really want to have.

substantial increases greater than general inflation brings its own issues, including increases in insurance rates greater than inflation, potential increases in tax rates, inability for support/service labor to live here, and you can't spend it to pay for bills. . .

Colorado Ski Town Can't Fill $167,000 Salary Job Due to Housing Costs

I don't get the goal for increasing one's economic shelter costs or illiquid asset value unless you can monetize it easily and cheaply. excessive Increases in house value is just an ego massage, as its expensive to monetize it to pay bigger bills.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
hoping for / looking for increasing house prices isn't the goal you really want to have.

substantial increases greater than general inflation brings its own issues, including increases in insurance rates greater than inflation, potential increases in tax rates, inability for support/service labor to live here, and you can't spend it to pay for bills. . .

Colorado Ski Town Can't Fill $167,000 Salary Job Due to Housing Costs

I don't get the goal for increasing one's economic shelter costs or illiquid asset value unless you can monetize it easily and cheaply. excessive Increases in house value is just an ego massage, as its expensive to monetize it to pay bigger bills.
Just on your Colorado link....sounds like somebody might need to encourage development of workforce housing in Steamboat Springs. They’re already leasing a hotel to house said employees. Other trendy locales in the US seem to make it work.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Just on your Colorado link....sounds like somebody might need to encourage development of workforce housing in Steamboat Springs. They’re already leasing a hotel to house said employees. Other trendy locales in the US seem to make it work.
having to spend more money to solve an illiquid asset price issue is the result of high value exclusivity. Just tax them more to pay more for service labor. They won't miss it at all. Lots of economically stupid answers because people like cheap answers, or want govt to solve their own created issues. Everything comes with a cost, like convenience, and exclusivity. If you want it, deal with it, don't ask the govt to fix it for you.

Similar economic issue here in rural FL, lots more high paying jobs 60 minutes away in Orlando, and TV is mostly exclusive to retirees able to afford it. . . similar issues, excessive house values are not a great goal for home owners other than ego.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
having to spend more money to solve an illiquid asset price issue is the result of high value exclusivity. Just tax them more to pay more for service labor. They won't miss it at all. Lots of economically stupid answers because people like cheap answers, or want govt to solve their own created issues. Everything comes with a cost, like convenience, and exclusivity. If you want it, deal with it, don't ask the govt to fix it for you.

Similar economic issue here in rural FL, lots more high paying jobs 60 minutes away in Orlando, and TV is mostly exclusive to retirees able to afford it. . . similar issues, excessive house values are not a great goal for home owners other than ego.
Assuming you agreed with my premise. Not asking government to do it...want the onus on, in this case, the resort operators who are printing cash in places like SS and Aspen/Vail. Thus workforce housing development. Obviously CO just like FL would in similar circumstances, probably initiate tax breaks, TIFF and PILOT agreements to do so.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:06 AM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Shipping up to Boston;2308406]
Quote:
Senate Bill 280 (2024) - The Florida Senate passed the FL house tonight

The bill increases local oversight on STR, short term rentals, with penalties of registration suspension.

Maybe will help flush some STRs out of the system.[/QUOTE

Not too familiar with this one. Can you post some bullet points as to why it was filed and what it’s intended to do. Much appreciated
One bullet point: State trying to collect taxes on Short Term Rentals.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default State Laws

Should the state even have any laws for STRs? Local governments should be permitted to manage them as they see fit. Locals should be able to ban them or permit them through elections. Mandates only support weak special interests .

Fortunately the housing market will move to reality. Investors are selling and prices are beginning a sharp decline to the sway of seller/buyer influence. We had a neighbor a few blocks away sell their house in less than a week; because they cut the price by 40k. It enabled a quick and efficient sale. This will happen again and again till markets stabilize to reality. Other factors like inflation, mortgage rates and insurance helped drain off upward pressures in the market and pricing. Apartment construction is exploding outside the Villages (EXPLODING)! One day STRs will be a thing of the past.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 03-07-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Assuming you agreed with my premise. Not asking government to do it...want the onus on, in this case, the resort operators who are printing cash in places like SS and Aspen/Vail. Thus workforce housing development. Obviously CO just like FL would in similar circumstances, probably initiate tax breaks, TIFF and PILOT agreements to do so.
the job was for a single $167,000 city job. . in workforce housing? I don't think so. If a salary of $167,000 can't live in the town, I don't think the resort operators are going to build workforce housing for a city employee either. .
Old 03-07-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Here’s the summary

Vacation Rentals; Requiring advertising platforms to collect and remit specified taxes for certain vacation rental transactions; defining the term “advertising platform”; adding licensing to the regulated activities of public lodging establishments and public food service establishments which are preempted to the state; requiring advertising platforms to require that persons placing advertisements or listings for vacation rentals include certain information in the advertisements or listings and attest to certain information; authorizing the division to revoke, refuse to issue or renew, or suspend vacation rental licenses under certain circumstances, etc.

It could impact platforms like “rent from a villager” It looks like the “advertising platform” needs to collect taxes and require certain information be listed on them.
You know what they say; "If you want less of something, tax it". In this case that would be a good thing.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
You know what they say; "If you want less of something, tax it". In this case that would be a good thing.
I like that someone must be available 24 hrs to handle complaints regarding their rentals. In my prior courtyard villa, when renters were out of line, the owners did NOTHING. They were too afraid they would have to refund the rent money. With this bill, owners will have to act or face suspension.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
Not sure that quote applies across the country since taxes is a revenue source (as are fees IMO). They tax cars, homes, RV’s etc....has that led to less vehicles, housing in this country? I think the correct way to say it is more regulation and enforcement will achieve that same result...as far as this topic is concerned.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Perhaps your viewpoint is backwards?

Folks buy homes in Residential zoning districts, they have a reasonable right to assume that the home next door to them, won't become a hotel.

In most cases, a "hotel" is worth more than a "home".

If STR's are eliminated in areas where the didn't belong in the first place, status quo continues, albeit rolled back to where everything should have been in the first place.

Of course, some folks are all about how much money they can make and don't have any qualms about destabilizing the neighborhoods where they buy homes.
You want houses sitting on the market for six + months? Because that’s exactly what I have. The guy two doors down from me has been on the market for almost a year. Same thing all over this community. We have a LOT of houses for sale, from condos all the way up to a million +.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Perhaps not

Where has any two or three bedroom house been torn down and replaced by a multi-unit facility with a front desk? You can name it a hotel to try to make your point but that doesn't change reality. It is still a single family home with the normal number of persons residing in it.

Folks should not make assumptions, folks should make themselves aware of laws and covenants and what rights they and their neighbors have. This discussion seems to be about buyer's remorse and a desire to take away neighbor's rights to quell that remorse.

STRs are currently situated exactly where they belong.

Demanding legislation that will result in vacant homes, an increase in homes on the market, the loss of property rights, increased restrictions and higher taxes just doesn't sound like a path to increased home values.
Bill, I love you!!
Old 03-08-2024, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
You want houses sitting on the market for six + months? Because that’s exactly what I have. The guy two doors down from me has been on the market for almost a year. Same thing all over this community. We have a LOT of houses for sale, from condos all the way up to a million +.
MLS is sitting with relatively the same amount of homes as the past 10 years +. The lag is found in no interest. Your neighbor, like many others in the community, most likely have no foot traffic. In years past, buyers were lining up. Are people not buying because the homes are over priced? Mortgage rates? Who knows? If this bill is passed, it may cause more inventory. In a market that is already slowing, this spells TROUBLE.

Last edited by Randall55; 03-08-2024 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
It is easy to fix the issue, just cut the price? Maybe whoever is selling, is asking more than what someone is willing to pay?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 03-08-2024, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
It is easy to fix the issue, just cut the price? Maybe whoever is selling, is asking more than what someone is willing to pay?
Reducing the price is possible with an owner who bought before the post covid surge. They will still see substantial profit. Considering closing costs, those who bought after covid cannot reduce the price unless they are willing to lose money or break even. IMO, if you do not plan on living in your home until you die, this is a terrible time to buy.

Tags
bill, penalties, registration, suspension, term

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.