Florida records highest water temperature ever

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
This is starting to get a little concerning especially with the hurricane season getting ready to ramp up....

Florida just had the hottest recorded ocean temperature. Here’s what that means for the environment
So much for the Global Warming & Climate Change deniers. Keep warming the oceans and gulf and see the increase in hurricanes, not to mention our homeowner insurance premium increases.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthoresen View Post
how about where the thermometers are located
The article mentions the MNBF1 buoy. Google it then go to the NOAA page where you will find it on a map.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-27-2023, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Hopefully, no storms will form because of el nino and the Sahara dust. If any do form, TROUBLE! Hurricanes thrive in warm waters and are usually quite large. Not something I am wanting to experience.
A hurricane would reduce the water temperature. Perhaps hope for a fish hurricane.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I guess you can dismiss as emotional hype all you want. Thermometers don't lie!
What would you suggest we do about it?
Old 07-27-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,321 Times in 548 Posts

That great philosopher Andy Rooney said it best. “People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe”.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:51 AM

Dont know about "ever"--Seems like there was a hotter day about 13.8 billion years ago

Last edited by Golfer222; 07-27-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,134 Times in 561 Posts
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
That great philosopher Andy Rooney said it best. “People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe”.
I always loved his ability to slice through the garbage people and the media dished out. It was the best part of 60 minutes to watch.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 07-27-2023, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,112 Times in 305 Posts

EVER? Does that count the time Florida was part of the Atlantic Ocean and Dinosaurs ruled the Earth?

Or just the last 50 years since we've taken the temp with satellites? Or do you mean the last 100 years since we started measuring the ocean with thermometers? Seems like a pretty short "ever"!

Funny, though. Most of the previous "records" seem to be from the 1930's -- before most of the world discovered automobiles and air conditioning, and we started making up names for hurricanes.

Any guesses as to what caused 1932 to be such a hot year? Or how about that giant hurricane that wiped Galveston from the map in 1900 and killed 12,000 people? Was that because the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere exceeded 0.4% from all the horse flatulence before cars were invented?

I have to admit, the level of horse and bull emissions seems to be much higher these days!
Old 07-27-2023, 09:24 AM

Thank goodness for El Nino, Sahara Desert, and Jet Stream Wind shear. Should offset the warm waters in the Atlantic... for a while.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
This is starting to get a little concerning especially with the hurricane season getting ready to ramp up....

Florida just had the hottest recorded ocean temperature. Here’s what that means for the environment
Two words - data points.

Fact, shallow water is warmer than deep water. Temperature previously taken in ten foot of water but now taken in six inches of water to prove someone’s point of view is certainly possible to have been done, especially in light of the other data point manipulations we seen in polls, surveys and reporting.

Conclusions drawn from manipulated data points are false, like the need to eliminate gas cooking stoves and raise taxes to cool the ocean is necessary.

Proven facts, like ocean currents and underwater volcanic activity, do cause localized changes (data points). However, change is constant and unavoidable. Changes are the result of self canceling activities over an entire spectrum. It’s often referred to as “nature” but in fact is natural law. And unlike man’s laws, natural laws cannot be broken or altered by man.

If it were not for change, natural laws, there would be no oceans, no gas stoves and no you or me.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
My pool temperature this morning is 82 and will be about 85 at 3 pm. I’m going to enjoy it during my remaining days on earth and not worry about the ocean temperature too much unless I have spare time.
And I'm sure your grand children love you......
Old 07-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibole View Post
Two words - data points.

Fact, shallow water is warmer than deep water. Temperature previously taken in ten foot of water but now taken in six inches of water to prove someone’s point of view is certainly possible to have been done, especially in light of the other data point manipulations we seen in polls, surveys and reporting.

Conclusions drawn from manipulated data points are false, like the need to eliminate gas cooking stoves and raise taxes to cool the ocean is necessary.

Proven facts, like ocean currents and underwater volcanic activity, do cause localized changes (data points). However, change is constant and unavoidable. Changes are the result of self canceling activities over an entire spectrum. It’s often referred to as “nature” but in fact is natural law. And unlike man’s laws, natural laws cannot be broken or altered by man.

If it were not for change, natural laws, there would be no oceans, no gas stoves and no you or me.
Where did you get the information that the previous readings were taken in ten feet of water but recent readings were taken in six inches of water?

According to the NOAA information for the MNBF1 buoy the readings were taken at a depth of 4.9 feet.

Is there an underwater volcano two miles off the Florida Keys? I wanna go see that!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Default Coral reefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Bad news for the coral reefs.
That's one I do a fair bit of pondering about. Had a gap of many years between dives in the Keys and was shocked at the pitiful condition of the corals when I returned a couple of years ago. Have since learned that the die-off is due to some kind of bacteria (or pathogen of some type), but which kind has yet to be figured out.

We first lived in Pompano Beach after retirement so that I could shore dive from our condo. Between about Deerfield Beach and Fort Lauderdale there is reef running parallel to the shoreline starting as little as 100 yards off shore and in water as shallow as 11 feet. Comfy water temps of 85-86° in the summer months allows diving without neoprene. But, last summer I noticed that the temp rose to 87° (part of your dive computer info) for a short stretch and much of the coral soon suddenly bleached white. Interestingly, it all completely recovered in fairly short order. Haven't heard what's happening this summer, but I guess lobster mini-season is currently underway. Tiring of eating lobster is partly why we're here. :-)

My main ponderage, though, is whether the extent of coral reef growth will simply move north as ocean temperatures rise. Maybe folks won't have to drive as far for a dive vacation, eh?
Old 07-27-2023, 09:48 AM
Default Global warming

Good word!!
In the 60's, Global COOLING was the big concern, they feared the "ice cap " was so large it would tip the earth off its axis.
Find out what they did to correct that problem & dial it back a smidgen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Ever?

Ever is a long time.

Why not just "since the temperature of the oceans has been systematically recorded"? Which I couldn't find in the linked "study".

Rule of thumb: Whenever I see words like "always", "never", "everybody", etc. etc. as part of anything purporting to be science, I automatically discount it as emotional hype. I guess we can add "ever" to that list.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:54 AM
Default Hot water

Quote:

According to an ABC News article about this it was only one bouy that showed the high temperature. All the others in the same area showed temperatures from 90 to 95 degrees. Could be a malfunctioning bouy.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, ramp, ready, season, hurricane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.