Florida Senate passes bill cracking down on left lane drivers

Old 02-24-2024, 06:56 AM

Will this law make any difference? Seems no other traffic laws are being enforced including speeding!
Old 02-24-2024, 06:56 AM
Default Passing on the Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A bill that seeks to prevent motorists from cruising in left lanes of highways is headed to Gov. Ron DeSantis.

"If someone in the left lane is going slower, and you pass them (on the right), you are creating an infraction and you can get ticketed," Perry said….
I want to hear more about if I will get ticketed for passing on the right. Drivers need to be able to pass on the right because, even with this new law, there will be ppl camping in the left lanes.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:59 AM

The bill won't be worth the paper it's written on because there won't be any enforcement (just like most other traffic laws). I'm also curious about the complaints about people parking themselves in the left lane going under the speed limit. Based on my experience, especially on the turnpike here in Florida, very few folks are going anywere near the speed limit. Many more are going 85-95 than 60-70.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I agree today driving to Mulberry VA clinic on BV 11 cars never left the lane from 44. All was well they were all driving 28mph, so just cruised by in the right lane

I don’t get it fear of being passed, fear of the right curb jumping at them, eventual left turn. Trying to control traffic speed or just i am special I only go left
Consider someone wants to make a left turn but does not know exactly where to turnoff. Traffic in the left lane is so heavy that he may not be able to get into that lane in time. So he gets onto the left lane anticipating a turn off hopefully soon. Guess I am one of the culprits. Thankfully GPS is making it a less frequent occurrence
Old 02-24-2024, 07:01 AM

Truckers have started driving in the middle lane which pushes all 4 wheelers to the fast lane. Until they get the trucks out of the middle lane the 3 lane highways will not work correctly.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
I want to hear more about if I will get ticketed for passing on the right. Drivers need to be able to pass on the right because, even with this new law, there will be ppl camping in the left lanes.
Great question! If that were true, as the phrase quoted by the legislator suggests, it would make the problem worse. The bozo cruising in the left lane at 55 would back up traffic for miles if no one could pass on the right. Thousands of vehicles would have to mosey along at the slug speed until a cop came along and pulled the clown over. Perhaps the lawmaker spoke incorrectly
Old 02-24-2024, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Florida Statute 316.084 explains when it is allowable to pass on the right. The quote in the article is misleading at best.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-24-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
The bill won't be worth the paper it's written on because there won't be any enforcement (just like most other traffic laws). I'm also curious about the complaints about people parking themselves in the left lane going under the speed limit. Based on my experience, especially on the turnpike here in Florida, very few folks are going anywere near the speed limit. Many more are going 85-95 than 60-70.
Exactly! What about people doing the speed limit in the left lane? Aren't tailgaters behind them breaking the law? Won't they break the law even further by speeding up (over the speed limit) to go around you after you move into the right lane to get out of their way? People like that think they are on a racetrack anyway and normal drivers are a nuisance. I just move to the left, let them go around so they get the ticket, and I can continue drinking my beer. (ha, ha, kidding about the beer)
Old 02-24-2024, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
The Florida statute allows you to pass on the right on a highway or street with unobstructed pavement that isn’t occupied by parked vehicles. It must be wide enough for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Florida Statute 316.084 explains when it is allowable to pass on the right. The quote in the article is misleading at best.
I don’t know if this will be changed if the other law is enacted.

Motor Vehicles § 316.084. When overtaking on the right is permitted

(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(b) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;

(c) Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety.  In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilePepper View Post
Exactly! What about people doing the speed limit in the left lane? Aren't tailgaters behind them breaking the law? Won't they break the law even further by speeding up (over the speed limit) to go around you after you move into the right lane to get out of their way? People like that think they are on a racetrack anyway and normal drivers are a nuisance. I just move to the left, let them go around so they get the ticket, and I can continue drinking my beer. (ha, ha, kidding about the beer)
The current law doesn't ask you to determine how fast the person behind you is going. It doesn't deputize you to enforce the speed limit in the left lane. It doesn't ask your opinion of the other driver's driving style. The current law requires that you move out of the leftmost lane if a faster vehicle is approaching from behind you. Very, very simple. Leave the rest to the proper authorities.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-24-2024, 07:39 AM

This Bill took effect on January 1st. The rule about pulling to the left and/or slowing down when passing any emergency vehicle has been expanded to include any vehicle - emergency, construction or passenger - stopped on the right shoulder. This also took effect on Janauary 1st.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
They do a much better job of staying right on restricted access highways in Europe and it is illegal to pass on the right
Are those actual signs, lol.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I don’t know if this will be changed if the other law is enacted.

Motor Vehicles § 316.084. When overtaking on the right is permitted

It will not be changed by the bill as it is currently written. What, if anything, eventually gets signed might look different.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-24-2024, 07:47 AM

When driving to Gainsville on I75 (70 mph limit) I usually use the middle lane at around 75. When I get to someone moving slower in that lane I pass them on the left. I stay in the left at around 75-80 if there is no one faster behind me and slower vehicles in the middle. I keep an eye out for anyone faster coming up from far behind in the left lane and if so I move back to the middle to let them pass. I may use the right for passing if the other 2 lanes have slower drivers. But it is very annoying to have people driving slower than the speed limit hogging the left lane. Everyone tries to pass them and some tailgate to get them to wake up. If I'm in the middle lane and that slow person is in the left, cars will sometimes slice in front of me to get around them. I'm for a law that works to prevent those slugs in the left lane, but not holding my breath to see it actually work.

Last edited by mikeycereal; 02-24-2024 at 07:52 AM.

Tags
bill, lane, drivers, left, desantis

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.