Florida trying to help out the employment shortage in its own unique way

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2023, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts
Default Florida trying to help out the employment shortage in its own unique way

States move to crack down on nurses with bogus diplomas

disgusted guy
Old 03-03-2023, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

"Students came not only from Florida, but also New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas and Delaware..."

-Tom Petty
Old 03-03-2023, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
"Students came not only from Florida, but also New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas and Delaware..."
Doesn't matter where they come from, selling any licenses especially in healthcare, should a federal felony.

Just had dinner with a life long hospital recruiter in MA where the hospital requires actual testing prior to working, that they the hospital administer. Very high failure rate these days. Lots of nurses hired leave after 4-6 weeks as don't like the work or pass one part and expect to do job sharing with other nurses to swap out what they can't do for what they can do. . very hard to get new nurses to stay, and the travelers are very, very expensive.. .
Old 03-04-2023, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
What is it what that part of SE Florida that harbors so many crooks?

10 years ago or so it was the tax fraud capital of the United States. The place where people made a living out of stealing identities, submitting hundreds of tax returns and cashing the checks.

From personal experience selling on Ebay, a full 1/3rd of anything that went to the Miami area ended up being fraud or a scam of some sort. Typically they'd pay, wait to get the tracking number then charge back as "product not delivered". I _ONLY_ shipped to that area via UPS so I would simply re-direct the package back. It costs $15 to do so I built it into the cost.

The other scam was to return the item with the product missing in the box. Often it was rocks inside trying to make the weight correct. I video recorded opening of every box that got returned. Also, they never got the weight right, so a 7lb outgoing box and a 2lb return won the case as well.

In 20 years, I never lost an eBay or PayPal chargeback, but there are a lot of thieves and cheaters down that way.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
What is it what that part of SE Florida that harbors so many crooks?

10 years ago or so it was the tax fraud capital of the United States. The place where people made a living out of stealing identities, submitting hundreds of tax returns and cashing the checks.

From personal experience selling on Ebay, a full 1/3rd of anything that went to the Miami area ended up being fraud or a scam of some sort. Typically they'd pay, wait to get the tracking number then charge back as "product not delivered". I _ONLY_ shipped to that area via UPS so I would simply re-direct the package back. It costs $15 to do so I built it into the cost.

The other scam was to return the item with the product missing in the box. Often it was rocks inside trying to make the weight correct. I video recorded opening of every box that got returned. Also, they never got the weight right, so a 7lb outgoing box and a 2lb return won the case as well.

In 20 years, I never lost an eBay or PayPal chargeback, but there are a lot of thieves and cheaters down that way.
Easy. Check the results of past elections.
Old 03-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

It should be very easy for any hospital or other medical facilities to run a background check prior to hiring a nurse or other medical staff. Wait - you can even become a Congressman by lying about your credentials and background. Hum. It’s not difficult at all to have a diploma printed but apparently to find out if the diploma is legitimate is really really hard. Could it be that “right to privacy laws” have gone too far?
Old 03-04-2023, 03:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Could it be that “right to privacy laws” have gone too far?
Yep, We created I monster with this
Old 03-04-2023, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
It should be very easy for any hospital or other medical facilities to run a background check prior to hiring a nurse or other medical staff. Wait - you can even become a Congressman by lying about your credentials and background. Hum. It’s not difficult at all to have a diploma printed but apparently to find out if the diploma is legitimate is really really hard. Could it be that “right to privacy laws” have gone too far?
That seems to be an oversimplification of the problem.

According to the article the diplomas were issued by the schools and the nurses passed the licensing exams. Towards the end the article says that some of the diplomas were legitimately after the students had attended the required hours.

Given that all of the licensing exams are legitimate and only some of the diplomas are fraudulent, how easy is it to identify the nurses who did not receive the proper training and what do privacy laws have to do with it?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,734 Times in 5,252 Posts

I'm not buying this. If I were an employer, I'm sure that I could determine if a nurse had a legitimate degree. If there was any doubt, the nurse would need to prove it to me. If he or she couldn't prove it, they wouldn't get hired. All you need is a few pointed technical questions to detect fraud. Privacy laws have nothing to do with it.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:25 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Bogus universities and embellished or totally made up CV's/resumes.

Whooda thunk? LOL
Old 03-04-2023, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Doesn't matter where they come from, selling any licenses especially in healthcare, should a federal felony.

Just had dinner with a life long hospital recruiter in MA where the hospital requires actual testing prior to working, that they the hospital administer. Very high failure rate these days. Lots of nurses hired leave after 4-6 weeks as don't like the work or pass one part and expect to do job sharing with other nurses to swap out what they can't do for what they can do. . very hard to get new nurses to stay, and the travelers are very, very expensive.. .
Where did I say anything to the contrary?

I was simply commenting on the "Florida Bashing"

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, employment, shortage, unique, disgusted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.