Florida is the worst state in the country when it comes to tax fairness!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2024, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts
Default Florida is the worst state in the country when it comes to tax fairness!

The study also finds that DC, New York, New Jersey, and California have much fairer tax systems.

Who Pays? 7th Edition – ITEP
Old 02-20-2024, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fair"? Everyone doesn't agree that high income people should pay a higher tax rate than low income people.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
The study also finds that DC, New York, New Jersey, and California have much fairer tax systems.

Heh. "Fair" is in the eye of the beholder. Like art. If you like it, it's good.

Moving here from Minnesota about four years ago...

1. My income tax bill has shrunk by about 1/3. Minnesota (where I hail from) is 4th highest in State income tax paid. Florida has no state income tax.

2. I pay quite a bit less in property tax in Florida...on a house that is valued at nearly twice my former home.

3. I don't have to pay for a fishing license in Florida.

4. Law enforcement (funded by tax money) is far better and more reliable here than back where I came from.

5. I pay nearly a full percent less in sales tax in Florida than I did before I moved here.

6. Minnesota ranks 5th in the nation in state estate taxes collected. Florida HAS no state estate tax. Important. Especially now.

7. The license fee on our primary vehicle is nearly 70% LESS per year than it was in Minnesota.

These seven items are what just came to mind. There are probably more financial advantages to living here than the ones listed.

Fair?

Oh yeah!!
Old 02-20-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:

I don't know about fairer but they do have much higher taxes which is why folks who can are fleeing them for states such as Florida and Texas. They also tend to have very high crime rates and terrible public schools within their large cities. DC stands for Dangerous City nowadays.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-20-2024, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:

So we should pay more in taxes to make tax rates fair? Florida has much lower tax rates than anyplace else we have lived and has no problem balancing its budget and supplying essential services.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Taxes in Florida

Move to Florida, taxes on a new home with bond average 10,000 a year plus, and that’s without amenities, insurances or your annual income taxes!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-20-2024, 11:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:

I disagree with ITEP. My previous state is somewhere near the middle of the list, but the taxes go to corruption in the state capital, & meanwhile bridges fall down & other maintenance is sorely neglected.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Heh. "Fair" is in the eye of the beholder. Like art. If you like it, it's good.

Moving here from Minnesota about four years ago...

1. My income tax bill has shrunk by about 1/3. Minnesota (where I hail from) is 4th highest in State income tax paid. Florida has no state income tax.

2. I pay quite a bit less in property tax in Florida...on a house that is valued at nearly twice my former home.

3. I don't have to pay for a fishing license in Florida.

4. Law enforcement (funded by tax money) is far better and more reliable here than back where I came from.

5. I pay nearly a full percent less in sales tax in Florida than I did before I moved here.

6. Minnesota ranks 5th in the nation in state estate taxes collected. Florida HAS no state estate tax. Important. Especially now.

7. The license fee on our primary vehicle is nearly 70% LESS per year than it was in Minnesota.

These seven items are what just came to mind. There are probably more financial advantages to living here than the ones listed.

Fair?

Oh yeah!!
Can not disagree except for law enforcement. In TV crime is very low mostly due to the fact that people living in TV are a lot less likely to be involved in major crimes due to age and socio economic conditions. Big complaint here mostly involves speeding golf carts, DUI(mostly golf carts)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:

That must be why everybody is leaving Florida to live in DC, New York, New Jersey, and California! All that "fairness"! Probably the same reason 9 million people illegally invaded Mexico in the last three years on their way to all that "fairness" in Venezuela, Iran, Somalia, and China!

Oh look -- the Opposite World News also says the sun is going to start rising in the West! About time! Only fair!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

you haven't been to Ct., have you??
Old 02-20-2024, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
That must be why everybody is leaving Florida to live in DC, New York, New Jersey, and California! All that "fairness"! Probably the same reason 9 million people illegally invaded Mexico in the last three years on their way to all that "fairness" in Venezuela, Iran, Somalia, and China!

Oh look -- the Opposite World News also says the sun is going to start rising in the West! About time! Only fair!
Exactly. Just more clickbait from the OP.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-20-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
If you believe that to actually be the case, I suggest you try living in one of these places to experience the reality instead of some propaganda site's fantasy.

The #1 reason people are fleeing those jurisdictions for TX and FL is taxes.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've lived "there", I'll stay "here", fairness is in the eye of the beholder
Old 02-20-2024, 06:35 PM

The article makes no sense to me! For example they state, "These states tax their poorest residents — those in the bottom 20 percent of the income scale — at rates averaging three times higher than those charged to the wealthy."
Last I checked the only taxes we have in Florida are sales tax & property tax. Both of those rates have nothing to do with being rich or poor. If you buy more, you pay more. If you own a larger home you pay more. What's wrong with that? Works for me!
Old 02-20-2024, 08:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
If you believe that to actually be the case, I suggest you try living in one of these places to experience the reality instead of some propaganda site's fantasy.
I didn’t say I believed it. I posted it because it pertains to the state where all of us live.

And I thought it might get comments from people who live in the more progressive states to see what they think of the study.

So far most of them appear to disagree with the study.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, florida, systems, fairer, california

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.