Florida is the worst state in the country when it comes to tax fairness!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2024, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
So we should pay more in taxes to make tax rates fair? Florida has much lower tax rates than anyplace else we have lived and has no problem balancing its budget and supplying essential services.
The article is referring to a heavy burden caused by taxes in Florida for the poor. A cinge to pay for the wealthy but is causing low income families to live paycheck to paycheck. Some, going into debt. Other states have managed to tax accordingly where a percentage paid by the poor is fair. A person earning $15/hr has a difficult time buying groceries! They can not afford to be taxed at the same rate as the wealthy. Example: A 7% sales tax on a person earning $30,000 hits much harder than a person earning $100,000.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
That must be why everybody is leaving Florida to live in DC, New York, New Jersey, and California! All that "fairness"! Probably the same reason 9 million people illegally invaded Mexico in the last three years on their way to all that "fairness" in Venezuela, Iran, Somalia, and China!

Oh look -- the Opposite World News also says the sun is going to start rising in the West! About time! Only fair!
Old 02-20-2024, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
The article is referring to a heavy burden caused by taxes in Florida for the poor. A cinge to pay for the wealthy but is causing low income families to live paycheck to paycheck. Some, going into debt. Other states have managed to tax accordingly where a percentage paid by the poor is fair. A person earning $15/hr has a difficult time buying groceries! They can not afford to be taxed at the same rate as the wealthy. Example: A 7% sales tax on a person earning $30,000 hits much harder than a person earning $100,000.
Doesn't that way of thinking already provide opportunities for free educational opportunities that said people choose not to take advantage of? Will it make you feel better that I suffer more to pay the way of those who don't strive to reach their full potential? Unfortunately I've witnessed that some folks lives are centered around handouts, and you are suggesting I empty my pockets to support them even more?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:59 PM

This is yet another liberal media trying to get people to feel they are wrong if they live in Florida and people will feel good if they live in DC, NY, NJ, and California. Get it through your head, the liberal media is biased!
Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Example: A 7% sales tax on a person earning $30,000 hits much harder than a person earning $100,000.
I have never seen a workable solution for that. Should people making under $30,000 a year have an ID card that exempts them from paying sales tax? If they did, I imagine a lot of their friends who were subject to sales tax would ask them to make purchases for them.

Or should they keep records of all the sales tax they pay and get a refund from the state every year?

When I was making $30,000 a year, my primary expenses were taxes (no sales tax), rent (no sales tax) and food (no sales tax). I paid very little sales tax because I had very little disposable income.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
The study also finds that DC, New York, New Jersey, and California have much fairer tax systems.

Who Pays? 7th Edition – ITEP
Wow, I was wondering why people are leaving high tax state. They just can’t get enough of high taxes so they moving to Florida
Old 02-20-2024, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Example: A 7% sales tax on a person earning $30,000 hits much harder than a person earning $100,000.

People earning low wage aren’t buying that much cause most of their money they use to survive. If you don’t buy nothing you don’t get taxed. Plus they get all federal income tax they pay in due to their low income.
So they not taxed as much as wealthy. Most likely they are public assistance which wealthy paying for?

I will Amit Florida property tax in some area’s for what have (lower income villagers that can own home)(like Marion county) can be OUTRAGEOUS.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by "fair"? Everyone doesn't agree that high income people should pay a higher tax rate than low income people.
If high income people were only allowed to take the same standard deduction that lower income people had to take, then that'd be fair, right? No more itemizing, no more tax breaks, no more write-offs. Standard deduction for everyone. And you pay the same tax rate on the net income after that deduction.

Problem is, that means the ultra-high income folks would actually have to pay taxes. Right now they can itemize enough that they pay no income tax at all.

The ultra-low income also pay no income tax, or they end up with a full refund on what they've paid.

Everyone else pays to cover the ultra-low income AND the ultra-high income, both of whom pay no income tax. The ultra-low can't afford to pay it. The ultra-high income can afford it, but prefer to place the burden on everyone in the middle, including low (but not ultra-low) income people.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

People earning low wage aren’t buying that much cause most of their money they use to survive. If you don’t buy nothing you don’t get taxed. Plus they get all federal income tax they pay in due to their low income.
So they not taxed as much as wealthy. Most likely they are public assistance which wealthy paying for?

I will Amit Florida property tax in some area’s for what have (lower income villagers that can own home)(like Marion county) can be OUTRAGEOUS.
People living in poverty still need to eat, still need toilet paper, still need clothing, shoes, electricity, hot water, heat when it's cold and cool air when it's sweltering hot, transportation to and from work assuming they are able to work and have jobs, soap and shampoo, still need all the same things that people who don't live in poverty need.

They already pay the same tax that the wealthy pay on those things. If you raise that tax, only the poor will feel the change. Another 50 cents a gallon in gas won't hurt someone in Florida who has $250,000/year in income. But it could force someone who only earns $20,000 a year to choose whether to buy fresh fruits and veggies and healthy proteins, or settle for the dollar menu at the fast food joint again, pushing themselves deeper into poor health just so they don't spend their day with an empty stomach.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If high income people were only allowed to take the same standard deduction that lower income people had to take, then that'd be fair, right? No more itemizing, no more tax breaks, no more write-offs. Standard deduction for everyone. And you pay the same tax rate on the net income after that deduction.

Problem is, that means the ultra-high income folks would actually have to pay taxes. Right now they can itemize enough that they pay no income tax at all.

The ultra-low income also pay no income tax, or they end up with a full refund on what they've paid.

Everyone else pays to cover the ultra-low income AND the ultra-high income, both of whom pay no income tax. The ultra-low can't afford to pay it. The ultra-high income can afford it, but prefer to place the burden on everyone in the middle, including low (but not ultra-low) income people.
This article is about state and not federal taxes. Which states allow itemizing? People are moving to states with no state taxes.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The study also finds that DC, New York, New Jersey, and California have much fairer tax systems.

The answer comes to us from one of the states in the vanguard of economic justice. California Senate Hopeful Barbara Lee Wants $50 Per Hour Minimum Wage.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:09 AM
Default Media ranked “far left of center think tank”

They partner with citizens for tax justice and other lefties .. this same outfit claimed the inflation reduction act reduced taxes …. The deficit and inflation are also a form of federal government “taxation” …. ask anyone who moved here from NY, Illinois, California, NJ or any other heavy Blue state what their tax burden looks like now …. paid political announcement !!!!
Old 02-21-2024, 05:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
So we should pay more in taxes to make tax rates fair? Florida has much lower tax rates than anyplace else we have lived and has no problem balancing its budget and supplying essential services.
Thanks to snowbirds, tourists and Uncle Walt!
Old 02-21-2024, 05:32 AM

Quote:

It's a game of statistics. "Fair" is a subjective term. Take NJ for example. Incredibly high property tax rates. They are so high that their effect across the board essentially HIDES the unfairness based on how this study was done. In other words, if taxes took 100% of everyone's after-tax income, it would be the "fairest" according to this study. I call BS.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
The answer comes to us from one of the states in the vanguard of economic justice. California Senate Hopeful Barbara Lee Wants $50 Per Hour Minimum Wage.
That would be $100,000 a year and $200,000 for a married couple! That would solve poverty.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, florida, systems, fairer, california

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.