Ford lost $32,000 per ev in 2nd quarter

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2023, 11:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts
Default Ford lost $32,000 per ev in 2nd quarter

This does not seem to be a sound business plan!!

Ford Loses Over $32,000 Per EV During The Second Quarter, Shifts Production Goals | Carscoops
Old 09-16-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
The dirty secret that no one is talking about is not how much money they lose per EV. Its how few EV's are being sold!. This article is somewhat misleading as it says they sold 30,000 EV's in Q2, that includes hybrids. True EV sales are app 5,000 per the quarter. Outside of the Ford Lightning pickup truck (at $110,000) they are selling almost No EV's.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:26 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Ford had an Edsel too. Yeah, always “pulling” for American car company. I pass on their stock too.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:07 PM

As tough as GM, Ford, Stellantis is - and DEFINITELY will be in the near future, VW is tilting toward short term hurt. Their sales in China are WAY down and they have little in the way of EVs. Nissan is worse. Matter of fact even all Japanese makers are in very tough shape financially. Toyota was WAY late to the EV, betting on ICE and Hybrids. Korean car mfrs look good and ahead with EVs.

As said USA cos LOSE mega$$$ on each EV they manage to sell. Tough road ahead for each.

Tesla... well they have the inside track and lightyears ahead of competition. Now Chinese EV mfrs, watch out - they ARE coming. Europe will prob put serious taxes on Chinese imported EVs. And at some point the USA will too.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylt View Post
As tough as GM, Ford, Stellantis is - and DEFINITELY will be in the near future, VW is tilting toward short term hurt. Their sales in China are WAY down and they have little in the way of EVs. Nissan is worse. Matter of fact even all Japanese makers are in very tough shape financially. Toyota was WAY late to the EV, betting on ICE and Hybrids. Korean car mfrs look good and ahead with EVs.

As said USA cos LOSE mega$$$ on each EV they manage to sell. Tough road ahead for each.

Tesla... well they have the inside track and lightyears ahead of competition. Now Chinese EV mfrs, watch out - they ARE coming. Europe will prob put serious taxes on Chinese imported EVs. And at some point the USA will too.
Yea but this is all based on the assumption that people want EV's.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

EV vehicles are the future of the automotive industry. If we don't make them, they will come from China or somewhere else.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
EV vehicles are the future of the automotive industry. If we don't make them, they will come from China or somewhere else.
Not if companies cannot make money making and selling them.

BTW do you folks realize that there is still a 25% tariff on all stuff coming here from China?
Old 09-16-2023, 06:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
While definitely not an EV fan, I believe you must use care in using data like the above. It likely does not mean that each new EV car costs Ford $32,000 more that the sell price. I would strongly suspect that number reflects the incremental cost of each new EV plus a share of the huge developmental cost incurred based upon dividing development costs by quantity sold.

You have to expect that companies don't blindly sell at a price below incremental cost. They may have a plan the shows recovery of development costs within a projected sales volume. Sales lagging that projection could be a major problem.

My only caution is that use the term loss of $32,000 may have a different meaning.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
In the future yes....but our government is trying to push them now and we aren't ready. The battery technology isn't ready and the infrastructure isn't ready. Maybe in 5 to 10 years.
Tesla has the tech and charging infrastructure. Big 3 and many euro and Japan auto companies do not. And all of them will slowly die. Disruptive tech which they all were too slow to adopt.

Tesla, China, and prob Korean firms will thrive.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
While definitely not an EV fan, I believe you must use care in using data like the above. It likely does not mean that each new EV car costs Ford $32,000 more that the sell price. I would strongly suspect that number reflects the incremental cost of each new EV plus a share of the huge developmental cost incurred based upon dividing development costs by quantity sold.

You have to expect that companies don't blindly sell at a price below incremental cost. They may have a plan the shows recovery of development costs within a projected sales volume. Sales lagging that projection could be a major problem.

My only caution is that use the term loss of $32,000 may have a different meaning.
I don’t understand the accounting details but I would assume that the EV is a separate division and that the costs are x and the income is y. The costs clearly exceed the income so you divide the losses by the number of vehicles sold to determine the loss per vehicle.

But perhaps we have some people who worked in the automotive industry that can explain how these losses are calculated.

Even NPR says that Ford is losing money on EVs.

Ford's CEO is staking its future on electric cars : NPR
Old 09-16-2023, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
As usual….someone only reads the headline and not the article.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
In the future yes....but our government is trying to push them now and we aren't ready. The battery technology isn't ready and the infrastructure isn't ready. Maybe in 5 to 10 years.
The millions of apartment residents that park outside are supposed to charge their EV’s where? Will these complexes be required to have a charging station for each apartment? I stop at Charging Station, let’s say WAWA future, and I get in line behind 2 cars waiting to quick charge at 20-30 minutes each. Would you have purchased a home in The Villages if the golf courses, pickleball and tennis courts, recreation centers, etc., etc., were not here and this promised infrastructure would be coming in the future? Same way I feel about purchasing an electric vehicle without the promised infrastructure in place. The difference is an intelligently planned Villages Community, and an unintelligent and inefficient Government process.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:55 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
The dirty secret that no one is talking about is not how much money they lose per EV. Its how few EV's are being sold!. This article is somewhat misleading as it says they sold 30,000 EV's in Q2, that includes hybrids. True EV sales are app 5,000 per the quarter. Outside of the Ford Lightning pickup truck (at $110,000) they are selling almost No EV's.
I just don't get all of you EV haters out there. No one is forcing you to get one and by the time combustion engines are finally prohibited we will all be long dead.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
About all parts come from China and assembled elsewhere, they’re no American made vehicles. Little big 3 can’t compete with 5.25 or less labor costs. Only some are assembled in America and most of them are foreign which don’t have to deal with UAW. The once big 3 (really only 2 now anyway) will figure it out sometime in future. Just like the steel and textile industries did.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I just don't get all of you EV haters out there. No one is forcing you to get one and by the time combustion engines are finally prohibited we will all be long dead.

You’re right most of use will dead long before EV’s can go 600 miles and be charged by next day to continue on trip. IMO hybrid makes more sense at least for next 20 years for masses. And no most can’t afford Tesla’s which may be able to go 200 miles in sub freezing weather if lucky? Then, there the salt belt which even gasoline vehicles can verily make it 5 years before the frames, body panels, and wiring decay. what do you think salt belt will do to EV?
Closed Thread

Tags
ford, plan, business, sound, lost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.