Ford lost $32,000 per ev in 2nd quarter

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2023, 04:28 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I have owned a tesla, fantastic car. Most of the time charged it at home. It only becomes a problem on a long range trip. So far, when I used it that way, it wasn’t too bad but what happens when you have too many of them and not enough infrastructure for recharging? Until new battery technology comes around, a chargeable hybrid is the best transition vehicle. So why are people, particularly the administration, pushing a technology that would strip the earth of the minerals to provide these batteries? Why would anyone hold a meeting of car manufacturers of electric cars and not invite Elon Musk? I can only assume brainless zombies are making these decisions because they are so stupid.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I just don't get all of you EV haters out there. No one is forcing you to get one and by the time combustion engines are finally prohibited we will all be long dead.
We don't hate EV's. Just like we don't hate electric golf carts. (Except for the fact you get subsidies and avoid taxes for highway maintenance).For many EVs are a good fit for their transportation needs.

What we HATE is the dictatorial mandates set in place that will eventually eliminate ICE vehicles. This will have a catastrophic impact on the mobility we take for granted today.

This is because the electrical grid CAN NOT begin to handle the increased demand if most vehicles on the road are EVs. Plus renewables as an energy source for base load plants is a joke. Also the charging times will turn driving into a much more stressful experience because of the challenge of not running low on charge. And during winter, EVs performance drops dramatically.

Until they have solid state batteries and mini nukes to ensure a stable grid then forcing everyone to drive an EV will have catastrophic impact on our standard of living and way of life. Well on second thought, maybe that is the true objective.

Last edited by ithos; 09-17-2023 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

We are not haters of EV only the fact that they want to eliminate gas and diesel powered vehicles. The inconvenience of road trips in EV is your decision I want gas powered cars.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:43 AM

I will never own an EV in my life. I’m not at all convinced they help our environment as to what goes into their batteries. I agree with another comment, large condo and apartment complexes have huge parking lots that must accommodate over 300 cars. There is no way they would have the electrical grid system to be able to put in 300 charging stations let alone the huge enormous cost. Also, what about people that live in cities and do not have parking garages or spots at all? They park randomly on the street. Our winter home is in a big city and you just have to park your car on the street. an EV car would never work in those circumstances and that’s how thousands upon thousands live. Once there is any electrical overload, we would have problems. There are already many communities and towns across the country where they’re being told that electricity is becoming such a problem that they are given hours that they can only run the dishwasher and washing machines during the day. How in the world can EV cars added to this this work?
Old 09-17-2023, 06:02 AM

They lose money on every unit, but they make it up in volume😜
Old 09-17-2023, 06:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You’re right most of use will dead long before EV’s can go 600 miles and be charged by next day to continue on trip. IMO hybrid makes more sense at least for next 20 years for masses. And no most can’t afford Tesla’s which may be able to go 200 miles in sub freezing weather if lucky? Then, there the salt belt which even gasoline vehicles can verily make it 5 years before the frames, body panels, and wiring decay. what do you think salt belt will do to EV?
Toyota has announced it will have a model with a cruising range of about 620 miles in 2026, and is working on one that would have a potential 930 mile range. And they are making changes in production which will lower manufacturing costs. But I agree, hybrids really make sense right now. Why wouldn't someone want a vehicle that gets 50 mpg around town and you don't have to plug it in to recharge?
Old 09-17-2023, 07:52 AM

EV's are the future if you want to save the planet for future generations. All startups have initial problems and losses.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I just don't get all of you EV haters out there. No one is forcing you to get one and by the time combustion engines are finally prohibited we will all be long dead.
They are conditioned to hate them by the media they watch. The same thing has happened with LED lights
Old 09-17-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredsteve View Post
They are conditioned to hate them by the media they watch. The same thing has happened with LED lights
It is so much easier to make condescending remarks than actually using logic and reason to validate your opinion, isn't it?
Old 09-17-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
We're talking fixed costs and variable costs. The cost of developing the assembly lines, equipment and battery development are being amortized over anticipated production units rather than the actual units produced. Because Ford's sales of EV units were very low these fixed costs divided by units sold plus variable costs cause a cost per car way in excess of sales price. When and if the units sold increase the theory is they will produce a per car profit. The same math will apply to battery costs. As units sold go up the cost per battery will go down.

But Ev sales will not go up significantly without an increase in battery range.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:43 AM

This is what happens when you allow a political administration, that knows nothing about business, to influence your decisions.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
We don't hate EV's. Just like we don't hate electric golf carts. (Except for the fact you get subsidies and avoid taxes for highway maintenance).For many EVs are a good fit for their transportation needs.

What we HATE is the dictatorial mandates set in place that will eventually eliminate ICE vehicles. This will have a catastrophic impact on the mobility we take for granted today.

This is because the electrical grid CAN NOT begin to handle the increased demand if most vehicles on the road are EVs. Plus renewables as an energy source for base load plants is a joke. Also the charging times will turn driving into a much more stressful experience because of the challenge of not running low on charge. And during winter, EVs performance drops dramatically.

Until they have solid state batteries and mini nukes to ensure a stable grid then forcing everyone to drive an EV will have catastrophic impact on our standard of living and way of life. Well on second thought, maybe that is the true objective.
Very well said
Old 09-17-2023, 09:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Toyota has announced it will have a model with a cruising range of about 620 miles in 2026, and is working on one that would have a potential 930 mile range. And they are making changes in production which will lower manufacturing costs. But I agree, hybrids really make sense right now. Why wouldn't someone want a vehicle that gets 50 mpg around town and you don't have to plug it in to recharge?
That's the intent of EV vehicles the average person commutes less than 40 miles daily. My current hybrid averages 60+ on highways at 70mph getting around 650 on a full tank. My travels New England to TV just under 20 gallons of fuel.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You know I worked for Ford for 38 yrs. & I always wonder why they wouldn’t give their employees a nickle for a good suggestion but they’ll spend millions to retool for something that all they had to do is think about all the cons that will arrive, now they’re scratching their head thinking, Duh, I don’t need to tell them because I’m just a dumb employee & they let their experts figure it out, didn’t sound like they thought this out very good or they thought they didn’t have to listen to the pro’s that they made us listen to!
Old 09-17-2023, 09:41 AM
Default EV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
The Cart before the Horse
Closed Thread

Tags
ford, plan, business, sound, lost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.