Gabby Petito Case

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2021, 10:45 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
White people are more common in the U.S.

Sexual predators have their own fantasies according to the true crime I watch. Some have to do with race and some do not.

I was very timid and insecure as a young woman but I knew enough to stay far away from over directive, bossy, harsh and cold men.
"White people are more common in the U.S."

I know you're smarter than to believe, that is the primary reason between the huge disparity of publicity regarding 'pretty, white women' - and indigenous or women of color.

Violence Against Black Women – Many Types, Far-reaching Effects - IWPR

"More than four in ten Black women experience physical violence from an intimate partner during their lifetimes. White women, Latinas, and Asian/Pacific Islander women report lower rates."

I too learned to avoid females who were cold, two-faced, manipulative or passive-aggressive, so I would say that we were both trained well - at a young age.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Gold member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Great to hear.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post

I know you're smarter than to believe, that is the primary reason between the huge disparity of publicity regarding 'pretty, white women' - and indigenous or women of color.

"More than four in ten Black women experience physical violence from an intimate partner during their lifetimes. White women, Latinas, and Asian/Pacific Islander women report lower rates."

I too learned to avoid females who were cold, two-faced, manipulative or passive-aggressive, so I would say that we were both trained well - at a young age.
So 40% of black woman experience violence from their partners. What % of these partners are of the same race as the woman?
Old 09-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkBlogW View Post
So 40% of black woman experience violence from their partners. What % of these partners are of the same race as the woman?
About the same % of white women abused, assaulted or killed by men of their own race? The bottom line, as I stated earlier, is that it is much more likely that a "young, pretty white woman" will get much more media and population attention, on a purely percentage basis. That just isn't right or fair.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
About the same % of white women abused, assaulted or killed by men of their own race? The bottom line, as I stated earlier, is that it is much more likely that a "young, pretty white woman" will get much more media and population attention, on a purely percentage basis. That just isn't right or fair.
It does appear that all (or certainly most) of the missing person cases that hit national news are white women but how many have made it to the news? I can think of only two this year and none last year. With over 600,000 missing persons each year, there are a lot of cases that don't get on national news, including a large number of missing white women.

It would be interesting to look into why a particular case draws national attention. Perhaps it helps if the missing person is a young white female but there are a lot of young white females missing right now that aren't on national news.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-22-2021, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

i
Old 09-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:

What I said was "There are more white people in the U.S.".

I have learned also to avoid cold, two faced, manipulative or bullying women as friends. I will not play games with either sex, nor will I be talked down to.

As for race and violence. I read the figures. I see the news. I wonder why.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Media attention not relevant. More important who are the abusers? You said 40% of black woman report abuse. What percentage of white woman report abuse? What race of men are most prone to abusing their partners?
Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Looks like not only was he out of her league but he was stealing from the bank account.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
"It's not bait."

It's definitely "not bait," it is simply a fact. The 'young, pretty white women' get a lot more media/people attention, than women of color (or indigenous women) who are abducted and/or murdered. A lot of the scumbag perpetrators know this fact and often target young women of color - to carry out their heinous acts. One only has to ask themselves how many white women they have heard of who have been abducted and become big news - compared to minority women.
I asked you the same question about all of the white men who are killed by police, who are completely ignored by the media...

Without using Google, can you name one?

-Tom Petty
Old 09-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Where is it written that life is fair?

-Tom Petty
Old 09-23-2021, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think you are making something racial that isn't. It isn't about race. It is a story that grabbed the public interest. People didn't MAKE it interesting, it was and is interesting. It wasn't "promoted" it was "clicked on".

I think it had a lot of elements to encourage interest. She was absolutely movie star beautiful and young. I had never heard of someone doing a "blog" about their transcontinental trip which I imagine gave her followers to begin with. Then the fact that HE returned home and did not say a word to her parents as to where she was, when they had been communicating with her daily was the plot twist. THEN he hired a lawyer. Curiouser and curiouser.

I remember following the cases of two other hugely followed murders in Florida in the past six years. One was about Markeith Loyd and the other was about the man who died in prison today, the father in law of the beautiful young mother whose body was dismembered and found on the farm of her husbands family. Markeith Loyd killed not only his pregnant wife but shot down a very popular female law officer who was very well liked in the community for many years. Then he lost his eye when he was finally arrested wearing her handcuffs.

The connection to what makes a story of true crime very interesting to the public is an interest or a connection to the public, not the race of the perp or the victim.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:45 AM
Default I agree…

I did find myself wondering why the media jumped on this particular case of a young woman who went missing. Following the story is fine, but why was this front page news on so many media outlets for days? I mean no disrespect for her, but she’s not a celebrity, not someone well known etc.

And yes there were plenty of white women who went missing that were not given this kind of continuous coverage. I don’t think there’s a racial issue here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
It does appear that all (or certainly most) of the missing person cases that hit national news are white women but how many have made it to the news? I can think of only two this year and none last year. With over 600,000 missing persons each year, there are a lot of cases that don't get on national news, including a large number of missing white women.

It would be interesting to look into why a particular case draws national attention. Perhaps it helps if the missing person is a young white female but there are a lot of young white females missing right now that aren't on national news.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
I did find myself wondering why the media jumped on this particular case of a young woman who went missing. Following the story is fine, but why was this front page news on so many media outlets for days? I mean no disrespect for her, but she’s not a celebrity, not someone well known etc.

And yes there were plenty of white women who went missing that were not given this kind of continuous coverage. I don’t think there’s a racial issue here.
Frequently when someone goes missing they just ... go missing. Not a lot of details other than "s/he left abc and never showed up at xyz". In this current case, the couple were publicizing their journey by blogging and vlogging about it on the Internet. By the time her parents reported her missing it came out that the BF had driven back to FL in HER CAR without HER. So from the gitgo we had reason to believe he was involved and was apparently stupid enough to think he could show up at home in that van and NOT be suspected! We immediately have a bad guy to obsess over.

Because Gabby had that blog there are lots of photos and video clips of the two of them during their trip for the media to show over and over. And of course she was this adorable young girl, setting off an adventure with the love of her life (RETCH) ... only to have it end so badly. I think because of what we knew about them, people were strongly affected by the story. And we love having a bad guy to hate!

Just my thoughts.

kathy
Old 09-24-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Yes, it seems like a good summary, Kathy, and to those of you who try to take the attention away from this young couple, you are trying to use this unfortunate situation to promote YOUR agenda, and it is NOT what this thread about. Start a new thread if you have an issue.

Last edited by Velvet; 09-24-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
fiance, media, petito, legal, gabby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.