Governor shuts down bars

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2020, 09:30 AM
Veteran member
Default Governor shuts down bars

When did it become OK for the government to shut down businesses? No one finds this even a little disconcerting? What happened to personal responsibility?

I’ll get out of the way of the slings and arrows now
Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 AM
John41

the lack of personal responsibility (wearing masks and social distancing)
increased covid19 cases and required shutting down the worst offenders.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Now if we could only get some attention to the hundreds of thousands of protestors and beach goer violators!!!
Old 06-27-2020, 10:39 AM

Yes, I find it very concerning. I also found it darn near criminal to shut down small businesses like clothing stores, sporting goods stores, electronic stores because they were non-essential while allowing Walmart to reap the benefit by selling anything they wanted. I can’t imagine how many small businesses have and will go bankrupt because they could not quickly adopt to mail order and WEB sites. Yes, Amazon had already gone a long way in displacing many small businesses, but that was through consumer choice, not government mandate.

While the government has the legal right to shut down businesses for the sake of public health I believe that they made grievous mistakes in what they did and how they did it and I sent serval letters to the Governor stating as much.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage

My experience with writing to Desantis is no response. Not even an acknowledgement from his office recognizing a constituent contact.

I have written representatives most of my life time. His void of total lack of response is a first!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

I assume that would include the walk up bars/kiosks in the town squares if they still plan to start the town square entertainment in early July?
Old 06-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcurrie911 View Post
Yes, I find it very concerning. I also found it darn near criminal to shut down small businesses like clothing stores, sporting goods stores, electronic stores because they were non-essential while allowing Walmart to reap the benefit by selling anything they wanted. I can’t imagine how many small businesses have and will go bankrupt because they could not quickly adopt to mail order and WEB sites. Yes, Amazon had already gone a long way in displacing many small businesses, but that was through consumer choice, not government mandate.

While the government has the legal right to shut down businesses for the sake of public health I believe that they made grievous mistakes in what they did and how they did it and I sent serval letters to the Governor stating as much.
Writing letters to most of government is a waste of time because they recognize it is the writer's opinion only and seen through the writers prism. If they respond it is along the lines of "thank you for your interest". Have yet to ever get a response with a position unless it is part of their campaign. We don't have the data they have so we usually are disregarded. In this case, they needed to made a blanket decision because they can't evaluate every business. Kinda like the rules made at our places of employment, that government (owners, boards of directors etc) made global decisions, they didn't go cube to cube, office to office to see how each would be impacted. Unusual times call for unusual and sometimes drastic actions. They won't please everyone

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
When did it become OK for the government to shut down businesses? No one finds this even a little disconcerting? What happened to personal responsibility?

I’ll get out of the way of the slings and arrows now
No slimgs and arrows from me. If you are afraid of getting infected stay at home. Dont think your mask will protect you.

In this time, you can order anything to your house. So afraid, stay home and order what u need.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:

Old 06-27-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No slimgs and arrows from me. If you are afraid of getting infected stay at home. Dont think your mask will protect you.

In this time, you can order anything to your house. So afraid, stay home and order what u need.
The point far too many choose to miss or ignore.....

YOURS WILL!!!!! That's the way it works!!! You are protecting others from yourself....thus helping reduce the spread.

One more time....the issue of staying home is not coincident with being afraid!!! It is the smart thing to do for some and should not be labeled "afraid".
Old 06-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Making masks mandatory and closing businesses are 2 very different things. I am far more fearful of a government that can wield that kind of arbitrary power than I am of COVID. If I want/need to avoid the the virus I know what to do. I can’t avoid an all powerful government.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:43 PM

I see the blame being on bars and punishing businesses by shutting them down "again". I still see no media coverage on the spike being related to all the demonstrators!!!!!!! The demonstrations started a couple of weeks ago, the period for incubating the virus (depending on your source). Now the spikes and punishment goes to business owners and people wanting to enjoy life. Please!!!!! I guess it is not politically correct to point to the demonstrators in the hundreds of thousands, shoulder to shoulder, shouting, many not wearing masks. I support the right to demonstrate peacefully. But we all have been locked down, obeying the orders and moving toward a slow opening. Demonstrations..........but no blame there. Truly disgusting.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:35 PM

Shut down because most people are as dumb as a box of rocks and have an ALL ABOUT ME ATTITUDE. America has become a country of people that only think of themselves and do not worry about people on the other side of whatever their belief happens to be.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:48 AM

What ever happened to consideration for others and not spreading the virus?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:13 AM

Here is some food for thought. How many of the protesters, at least the destructive ones, will actually get tested? Recall that New York and the experts both estimated that 20+ percent that contracted the virus, had no symptoms (asymptomatic). NY representatives stated that after conducting their antibody study, that 1 in 5 New Yorkers that had the antibody test showed they had been exposed to the virus at some time. At that time only those with symptoms could get tested for the virus, that has now changed. So is there really a "spike" or are we just now uncovering more cases due to voluntary testing?
It is still a good case for social distancing and wearing a mask.

Last edited by BiPartisan; 06-28-2020 at 05:46 AM. Reason: corrected finding
Closed Thread

Tags
governor, happened, personal, responsibility, duck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.