Old 04-25-2024, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,331 Times in 602 Posts
Default Harvey Weinstein conviction overturned in New York

Harvey Weinstein's felony sex crime charges overturned by NY's highest court
Old 04-25-2024, 08:51 AM
Gold member

Any surprises here?!

Courts overturned the death penalty for the vermin Boston Marathon bomber as well.

Weinstein is a turd but to this day I feel less empathy for those same ‘victim’ actors/actresses that praised him while accepting their various industry awards yet were just as complicit in the cover up
Old 04-25-2024, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Doesn't matter much, since he's in jail for his convictions in California.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Doesn't matter much, since he's in jail for his convictions in California.

It does matter. He was convicted because he was guilty. The state will now have to use resources to retry him. But additionally it hamstrings other prosecutions of this kind of assault. Judge Madeline Singas put it well in her disent: "In a scathing dissent, Judge Madeline Singas wrote that the majority was “whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative,” and that the appeals court was continuing a “disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence.”

“The majority’s determination perpetuates outdated notions of sexual violence and allows predators to escape accountability,” Singas wrote.

“This conclusion deprives juries of the context necessary to do their work, forecloses the prosecution from using any essential tool to prove intent, ignores the nuances of how sexual violence is perpetrated and perceived, and demonstrates the majority’s utter lack of understanding of the dynamics of sexual assault.”

“Because New York’s women deserve better, I dissent,” she concluded."
Old 04-25-2024, 12:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,064 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
It does matter. He was convicted because he was guilty. The state will now have to use resources to retry him. But additionally it hamstrings other prosecutions of this kind of assault. Judge Madeline Singas put it well in her disent: "In a scathing dissent, Judge Madeline Singas wrote that the majority was “whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative,” and that the appeals court was continuing a “disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence.”

“The majority’s determination perpetuates outdated notions of sexual violence and allows predators to escape accountability,” Singas wrote.

“This conclusion deprives juries of the context necessary to do their work, forecloses the prosecution from using any essential tool to prove intent, ignores the nuances of how sexual violence is perpetrated and perceived, and demonstrates the majority’s utter lack of understanding of the dynamics of sexual assault.”

Singas should be thrown off the bench, for writing such a ludicrous dissent. The issue at hand had nothing to do with politics, nor some folks notion that women aren't capable of standing up for themselves ... or the opposite, using their physical or sexually desirability to obtain an "edge".

The appeal was procedural in nature (as most are) and the original trial judge fell victim to the exact same political bias that effects Singas.

This is the 2nd hit the MeToo movement has taken recently and there are more to come. Perpetuating the myth that women are vulnerable and helpless, is simply another misguided notion the woke would like to perpetuate.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Singas should be thrown off the bench, for writing such a ludicrous dissent. The issue at hand had nothing to do with politics, nor some folks notion that women aren't capable of standing up for themselves ... or the opposite, using their physical or sexually desirability to obtain an "edge".

The appeal was procedural in nature (as most are) and the original trial judge fell victim to the exact same political bias that effects Singas.

This is the 2nd hit the MeToo movement has taken recently and there are more to come. Perpetuating the myth that women are vulnerable and helpless, is simply another misguided notion the woke would like to perpetuate.
Sorry, but women are weaker than men.

Most of them are A Okay because most men are decent. For which most women used to be grateful. Many still are, & when we finally get through this weird phase they will be again.

As to the 2 hits, both are misguided. They are procedural, but both men: Cosby & Weinstein are not decent men.

Now, if you want to talk about (especially in Weinstein's case) how many women went along to further their careers, that is a different topic/thread (& one I'm not sure I want to discuss, I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm rather sure it did).
Old 04-25-2024, 04:17 PM

Just follow the MONEY… you know who he donated to right?
Old 04-25-2024, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Physically perhaps.

& if Cosby and Weinstein used physical violence, that's a huge leap from "coercing".

In way too many of these cases, the fact that accused was a philander or womanizer is introduced into evidence, unrelated to the specific events they're on trial for. Unfair.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,470 Posts

Quote:

Most of them are A Okay because most men are decent. For which most women used to be grateful. Many still are, & when we finally get through this weird phase they will be again.

As to the 2 hits, both are misguided. They are procedural, but both men: Cosby & Weinstein are not decent men.

Now, if you want to talk about (especially in Weinstein's case) how many women went along to further their careers, that is a different topic/thread (& one I'm not sure I want to discuss, I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm rather sure it did).

get through this weird phase?

IMO the weird phase going to get worst, way worst.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,340 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote:

Facts should matter along with fairness and not procedural nitpicking.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Facts should matter along with fairness and not procedural nitpicking.
As a previous response to this post alluded, appeals are not most often a matter of procedure, but ALWAYS. At least that’s what I learned in law school. The facts of a case are NEVER retried on appeal. What may be argued on appeal is whether, as a matter of law, certain facts were allowed into evidence erroneously or in error. A procedural error.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Physically perhaps.

& if Cosby and Weinstein used physical violence, that's a huge leap from "coercing".

In way too many of these cases, the fact that accused was a philander or womanizer is introduced into evidence, unrelated to the specific events they're on trial for. Unfair.
Not to be argumentative, I am just curious what you believe to be the correct punishment for Cosby & Weinstein, or are you saying there should be no punishment at all?
Old 04-26-2024, 06:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,305 Times in 563 Posts

NO means Yes again !
Old 04-26-2024, 06:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Ok. Retyping the article means nothing. It’s in Ca and way more people are complicit.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
Not to be argumentative, I am just curious what you believe to be the correct punishment for Cosby & Weinstein, or are you saying there should be no punishment at all?
Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote.

I didn't mention guilt or innocence, I said they're both entitled to a fair trial and hearsay evidence of their proclivities, unrelated to the crimes they were on trial for, are irrelevant.

Women and men, have used they're "positions" and "attributes" to get what they want, forever. It's not illegal, until politics, societal prejudices or organized pressure groups are introduced into the equation.

Tags
harvey, weinstein, conviction, overturned, york

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.