How do you see the pandemic playing out from where it is today?

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 09:24 AM

I think it’s too bad politics were ever brought into a Pandemic. That alone has put us behind in winning this COVID battle. Many more people will die while people haggle over wearing masks or not, how many people are counted as COVID who are not and basically playing the numbers game. If people would just listen to the real medical experts not these fake conspiracy theory people we could all pull together and best it. That’s probably not going to happen so will be like the 1918 pandemic where thousands of people died. That happened because of lack of knowledge back then. It will happen this time because of politics! We never learn!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Since viruses mutate, they may never get a vaccine that will protect everyone. The media LOVES to foment fear.
Personally, I disagree with this statement.

I believe media LOVES to make money. Fear simply sells. So, it is people who are afraid that cause the problem. People read/click on sensationalistic headlines.

If people would click on positive headlines - the news would stop with the sensationalism
If people would stop clicking on fake emails - they would stop sending them.
If people would stop buying from fake spam callers they would stop calling.

But people won't. It isn't going to happen.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:55 AM

Sadly, IMNSHO, we are moving into a period of anti-science. Spreading false information both intentionally and unintentionally is growing.

I believe this is one more symptom of overpopulation - other symptoms are climate change, spreading diseases (pandemics), starvation, war, rebellions, economic collapse, etc etc.

This is not my opinion personally, but the findings of the Pentagon over the past 20 years.

The Pentagons national/world security situation report to the President has for decades pointed to climate change and oil shortages as the top two causes of instability (war and rebellions) around the world. Add to that scientist's warnings that viruses have been mutating and represent a major (existential) threat because of overpopulation and constantly increasing mobility (planes, trains, and boats) proving easy and fast mechanisms for the viruses to spread, and we have the brewing of a perfect storm.

I do NOT believe the viruses have to result in an economic meltdown (global depression).

I believe that people's fear of the viruses, fed by disinformation, mixed messages, constantly failing to keep promises made, etc. will lead to a breakdown in the trust of the government. Democracy can ONLY work as long as the people believe in and trust the government and each other. And the collapse of trust in the government and a solution will drive the economy into depression. If the US does fall into a depression, the world will soon follow.

Everything we see happening today is driving us down the path of hating each other and the government. It's almost as if a sworn enemy is trying to destroy the US from within by causing us to hate each other - so that instead of working together to solve our problems, we spend all our time calling each other naming and spreading lies.

What is going to happen? I don't know, it depends.

I personally believe that unless a charismatic leader shows up that can unify most of us, this country's position as the world leader will be coming to an end. Unless we stop hating each other and try to find common ground to work together, we will fail.

I believe that Russia (Putin) would love to see that happen and is working hard to bring it about. But I think the actual next global power will be China.

I don't want it, I just believe it.

Last edited by Martian; 07-20-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg908369 View Post
He said absolutely not on school openings.
Actually kcrazorbackfan said: "Should schools NOT be allowed to start the new school year? Absolutely not!"

The implication is schools SHOULD be allowed to open, which the medical experts, CDC, and NIH all agree on.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Actually kcrazorbackfan said: "Should schools NOT be allowed to start the new school year? Absolutely not!"

The implication is schools SHOULD be allowed to open, which the medical experts, CDC, and NIH all agree on.
To me, it is a confusing structure, but I believe taken in the context of the rest of the post it is intended to mean schools should not be opened at this time.

ie. "Should schools NOT be allowed to start the new school year? Absolutely should not be allowed to open"
Old 07-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

How's it play out?
With all the variables, it is impossible to predict accurately. I would suggest that if not for an election year, we would already see this thing starting to wane. We can predict that many more folks will die from this virus before things get back to normal. I also predict that even if you wear a giant body sized condom, you can still become infected IF you are going to get infected. I understand how everyone is scared and in a panic, but this stuff happens and then the world heals and we move on.
Look, if wearing a mask makes you feel safer, comfortable and immortal then do it. Wear some disposable gloves and eye protection also, so that you might actually be safer out there.
One theory is that if enough folks are exposed to it and survive then the virus will go the way of other seasonal illnesses. A vaccine such as the FLU vaccine is only seasonal too, and does nothing for new yearly versions of the Flu.
On the other hand, if everything closes up and everyone stays home, we will likely get over this faster. However, if we do that then there are probably millions who will ultimately be destitute with no income, no jobs, out of business and bankrupt. It is easy for us that are already retired with a source of income to be armchair managers and tell others what they should do or not do. Other folks have to make a living or get thrown out of their homes and starve. If it is safe enough, children need/really need to go back to school.
Folks are going to die, period. There is nothing you can do to live forever.
Some of the stuff you hear on TV and other comments suggest that you do things that many of us have done for years, decades. Wash you hands, keep you hands off your face and cover your mouth when coughing. That's stuff that is supposed to be ingrained into every kid's little minds from your earliest years. Maybe that is why I never get the FLU or a cold. Living overseas in some of the nastiest, dirtiest countries we learn to wash our hands so many times a day that they just about stay water wrinkled. We soaked our produce in bleach water to kill bacteria. We didn't drink the water and we learned to drink without ice cubes. If you shook someone's hand, you did not touch your face and used hand sanitizer first chance you got out of view. These are common sense approaches to staying germ- less.
I am sitting here right now, looking out my window at three folks playing golf in the sunshine. They probably know that the sunshine is killing any potential virus spores. Life goes on.
Wearing a seat belt won't keep you from having an accident. Wearing a helmet on a motorcycle won't keep you from having an accident. They might save you if you are in an accident. Panic stricken individuals believe that if you don't drive a car or a motorcycle you can't have an accident. You can tell everyone to stay home so they don't get the virus or you can live your daily lives and take precautions. Either way, some are going to die. Death is inevitable and pertains to everyone.
I am not going to tell others how they should live, but I plan to live my life with as low negativity as I can and the least restrictions on my lifestyle as possible. This thing will be over before you know it, and most of you will still be around to figure some new issue to make you miserable.

Doctors and scientists do not have a firm handle on this and can only make suggestions based on their limited knowledge of the virus. Doctors do not always get your diagnosis right. The population today proves that NO pandemic has wiped out humanity completely. This world is still over populated in spite of all the plagues and catastrophes throughout history.

Live life like today is your last day and maybe tomorrow will be a bonus.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
There have been other global health disruptions in history and civilization has survived and prospered.

That is reading backward....which should portray hope.

Looking forward during our time the outlook is confused by the extreme divided politics of the day. Compounded by instant global communications that allow significant emphasis on what the future holds....which are based on specific agendas...not all of which have the welfare of the masses in mind.

So based on your background, beliefs, influences, hopes.....how do you see the pandemic evolving and do you believe we will get back to life as most know/knew before the pandemic, political and special interest furor?

Not looking for blame or finger pointing or agenda promoting or who shoulda/coulda did or did not catharsis....just down to earth how do you see the future playing out as it affects and may affect your life.

I personally do not see any break with the current trends in infection until there is a vaccine/cure(?). Or there is a new infection/death rate that is accepted as it is what it is like the flu, cancer, auto deaths, smoking deaths, etc.
As the saying goes....this too shall pass.

I personally think the bigger issue facing our lives and how it affects all of our futures, is the accelerating deterioration of law and order to a new level of acceptable violence and selective enforcement of laws.

It seems we are being driven on a win/lose course with significantly dangerous results.
Kudos on the best written and explained thread that I have seen recently. Experts are predicting that Germany, of the large countries, is the MOST likely to thrive in the post-pandemic world. I predict that the US hits a REAL unemployment rate of 30 to 40 %. Then, it gets REALLY unpredictable - crystal ball like unpredictability. US society and others in the southern hemisphere are teadering on a knife's edge. Our's and their societies could change dramatically left or right - democracy is fragile - around the world, right now, democracies are failing. I am serious. I wish that I was not! It is no exaggeration. If you look with an unvarnished eye, you can see the signposts today.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is a ray of hope from a valid source;

Oxford coronavirus vaccine safe and promising, according to early human trial results published in the Lancet
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
There is evidence that most people will NOT take the vaccine. Look it up - I can't post links. Only about 30%-40% get the flu vaccine and a similar reception is expected for any other vaccine whether for Covid-19 or something else. I happen to be in that group. I will refuse a vaccine. My reasons are mine alone and no one has a right to judge me in this matter. If our nation won't stop abortions (my body, my choice the radical left feminists say), then I assert the same right ... my body, my choice.

No, vaccines will not solve this. IMHO, we are not going back to normal ... ever. Read your bible. Learn what it says: this civilization that abhors God's laws will come to an end. There is very little time left. Look at how the entire world has been tossed on its ear by a "simple virus". Can you imagine the chaos when a few missiles are lobbed around by some terrorists? What will happen when there are MASS electrical outages? What kind of violence will we see when there are *real* food shortages? It's all right around the corner.

Your first reaction might be: this is crazy talk. Consider that that might also have been your reaction if someone had predicted Covid-19 just a few months ago. More crazy is coming and soon. Totalitarian control (must wear a mask, can't use cash, etc) is coming.
Firstly, I agree with you on the vaccine issue; if offered, I will refuse it. If mandated (by one means or another), I will avoid at all costs. BUT, I seriously doubt an efficacious vaccine will ever be developed, as is the case with some other "viruses". SOMETHING may eventually be offered as a "vaccine" but it might prove frightening to learn what is truly in it (we'll probably never know)! As far as the abortion issue, it is interesting to witness the rationalization coming from "that side of the aisle" on that very issue you raised - their body/their choice but they are not willing to afford you the same privilege. It's called hypocrisy.

I do not believe that the world has been turned on its ear by a simple virus. I believe people with nefarious motives have used this crisis to their advantage in steering this nation towards authoritarianism. As that "esteemed" (on the left) Rahm Emanuel once bloviated, "never let a good crisis go to waste". The current potential for totalitarian control you speak of has many, in positions of power, salivating like pavlov's dogs.

Those who love America and what The Founders bequeathed to us, must resist this current power play. You mention scripture, and those who believe know how it will end BUT, in the interim, it is not going to be "pretty"!

Fred
Old 07-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Location: Brooklyn O; NYC; Cambridge, Ma; London, UK; Martha's Vineyard Is.; Newburyport, Ma; The Villages

I have thought this through the and the blunt conclusion I have come to is that this Coronavirus 19 will probably never go away, no matter how much we hope it will, even if we have a vaccine.
Consider the common cold and the seasonal flu which we have become accustomed to live (and die) with. Neither virus has a real treatment or cure other than 'rest and drink fluids', take what you can to feel better. Even though we are innoculated for the flu annually it still kills thousands of people.
Sadly I believe Covid19 will be with us for a long time. The strong members of the 'herd' will survive but as they age, Covid will mutate. Just one of nature's ways of controlling overpopulation.

I'm very sorry to post such a cruel forecast.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
Firstly, I agree with you on the vaccine issue; if offered, I will refuse it. If mandated (by one means or another), I will avoid at all costs. BUT, I seriously doubt an efficacious vaccine will ever be developed, as is the case with some other "viruses". SOMETHING may eventually be offered as a "vaccine" but it might prove frightening to learn what is truly in it (we'll probably never know)! As far as the abortion issue, it is interesting to witness the rationalization coming from "that side of the aisle" on that very issue you raised - their body/their choice but they are not willing to afford you the same privilege. It's called hypocrisy.

I do not believe that the world has been turned on its ear by a simple virus. I believe people with nefarious motives have used this crisis to their advantage in steering this nation towards authoritarianism. As that "esteemed" (on the left) Rahm Emanuel once bloviated, "never let a good crisis go to waste". The current potential for totalitarian control you speak of has many, in positions of power, salivating like pavlov's dogs.

Those who love America and what The Founders bequeathed to us, must resist this current power play. You mention scripture, and those who believe know how it will end BUT, in the interim, it is not going to be "pretty"!

Fred
Sounds reasonable to me and I agree.
I am not quite ready to write off the world yet. Although, mankind does not present a very good example as to why it shouldn't end.
And they can't force you to take the vaccine if there ever is one. They can refuse your kids entry into public schools without it though. I wear a mask when I shop but do NOT agree with mandating the wearing of a mask. I do NOT get the FLU shot and would not if it was mandated. If someone suggests that I am being selfish, that is their opinion.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvbird View Post
Sadly I believe Covid19 will be with us for a long time. The strong members of the 'herd' will survive but as they age, COVID will mutate. Just one of nature's ways of controlling overpopulation.
I completely agree, but I also feel that science has always come to the rescue eventually. While anarchy never comes to the rescue, and the "everyone should use common sense" is anarchy.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran member
Default 2 negatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
To me, it is a confusing structure, but I believe taken in the context of the rest of the post it is intended to mean schools should not be opened at this time.

ie. "Should schools NOT be allowed to start the new school year? Absolutely should not be allowed to open"
In grammar 2 negatives is a positive.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:47 AM

I Love that “old adage”....so true in today’s world.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Actually we do have a right to judge you. You don't have to take any vaccine for whatever your reasons are but that decision impacts the health of those around you. The judgement, from me, is unless you have a reaction to the vaccine, why would you think it's ok to negatively impact people around you.

I wonder how wide spread Polio would be if we had not taken the vaccine or how many other diseases would still be around without a vaccine. So yes, there is a choice but asing not to be judged because you ask us not to, isn't going to happen, not when that decision impacts me.
Thank you for being honest. Many on here think that what I do must be with the precept that I am helping others. Personally, I do not care whether or not they get a vaccine shot. That's their choice and I doubt it will effect me. My not getting the FLU vaccine does not impact the health of you or anyone else. With the ratio of death to population as of today, I would not get the vaccine for the virus, because the death rate is so low in proportion of the population around me. I might consider it IF that rate suddenly became heavier on the side of the death rate ratio. The probability of me catching the virus is low. The chance that I would become infected and die from it, is way lower. But, I am glad that others will rush to get it when it first comes out. I wonder what the ratio of death will be from those that get the vaccine. I wonder if they will find that a few folks die from the vaccine. Hope is nice. I hope that some day they will find a cure for cancer, but I won't hold my breath. I do not foresee a vaccine this year, but I do see people surviving the pandemic this year. I see folks that wear masks and those that do not, both surviving the pandemic.

Stay home and stay safe. It makes traffic lighter and shopping a breeze for me.

Tags
pandemic, future, based, deaths, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.