I learned something today about our National Anthem...

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

well at least now we know why the NFL refs make so many stupid calls and get so many of the calls wrong...they're just following the commissioner's mode of operation

Roger, call a time out and take advantage of the replay booth and reverse the call on this one

dumb, stupid, confused, misguided are among the adjectives that I'll use in mixed company on this call

so what's going to happen when the cameras pan the stadium and show everyone that bought a ticket sitting in their seats when this "BNA" is played....yeah, that's gonna help bring us together...you can bet they won't show that on the tube

Roger, you're part of the problem...go away
Old 07-03-2020, 07:04 AM
Bikeracer2009

I'm curious to see if people in the stands bother to get out of their seats for each song, pick one and not the other or stand for both? Good time to virtue signal? What if you don't stand up will you be pointed out? Video could be put on social media of people taking a knee on one but not the other leading to them being called a racist?

I don't watch sports or television so it doesn't matter to me.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:09 AM

I thought the civil rights struggle was about equality. Where are you MLK?
Old 07-03-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Next we will be saluting a BLM flag and singing Kumbayah. The NFL players today are overpaid prima donnas not fit to walk in the cleats of the players of the past. As for the NBA I’ll take Bob Cousy any day.
Relax and don't get your knickers in a knot, it solves nothing and makes you sit funny. Do you enjoy Irish songs on St. Patrick's Day, and I could list other ethnic songs you may enjoy. What is wrong with recognizing and paying tribute to an ethnic group, upon whose backs this nation was built? Have you ever listened to "Life Every Voice and Sing"? It is a beautiful song with wonderful lyrics by James Weldon Johnson, plus it is easy for everyone to sing. I will happily sing this great song and then join in "The Star Spangled Banner". Please get over your pettiness and think in broader terms.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:43 AM

I will not stand for the black national anthem this will do more to harm race relations
Old 07-03-2020, 07:51 AM
Default I learned something today about our National Anthem

So 16% of our population will determine what national anthem will be played. Now that is a democracy? BLM is out of control.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh24444@gmail.com View Post
So 16% of our population will determine what national anthem will be played. Now that is a democracy? BLM is out of control.
Facilitated by spineless, owners, operators, managers, politicians and anybody else caving in to the current wave of stupid, uncalled for demands (of the few).

We will see how much attention those who choose not to stand during the proposed song (calling it the black national anthem only validates the cause) receive.

Let's hope and pray it is the hoola hoop effect and will die away.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
My bad. I always thought that "The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States.

National anthem
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A national anthem (also state anthem, national hymn, national song, etc.) is generally a patriotic musical composition that evokes and eulogizes the history, traditions, and struggles of its people, recognized either by a nation's government as the official national song, or by convention through use by the people. The majority of national anthems are marches or hymns in style.

It appears I slept through this in Civics class....>>>

NOW.... (talk about divisive IMO)>

From USA Today (article linked below)

NFL will play Black national anthem 'Lift Every Voice and Sing' before each Week 1 game

Starting with the nationally televised regular-season opener between the Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 10, “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” also known as the Black national anthem, will be performed before every Week 1 kickoff, before "The Star-Spangled Banner," according to a person familiar with ongoing discussions.

NFL plans Black national anthem 'Lift Every Voice and Sing' in Week 1
I am done with NFL 100%.......not only because to do stupid things like this but also because it has gotten more violent over the years
Old 07-03-2020, 08:15 AM

QUOTE=tophcfa;1796700]I used to be addicted to watching sports. But after Covid and no sports, I have realized that I was wasting a lot of time. Another Covid silver lining I guess? When sports finally come back, I was planning to watch again but much more selectively. If sports become nothing more than a platform for social justice issues, I am totally done. I watch sports to see sports. If I want to see social justice as the main point, I will watch the news channels that jam that stuff down the viewers throats.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Sporting events used to be a diversion from politics and controversy and our everyday problems. It didn’t matter whether you were white or black, Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal. We were all just wanting to enjoy the fun and relaxation that went with watching the sport and the competition. But now it’s all about “who’s gonna kneel, what song is gonna play, what are the players gonna say about the issue of the day? Now college football players are determining what t-shirt the coach can wear or what network he can or can’t watch. I have already quit watching NFL because of the politics. Now we have the so-called black national anthem being played along with the Star Spangled Banner. Are college sports next? I think so. And like you it’s not that turning the game off is my way to protest, it’s that the enjoyment I received by being able to escape for just a little while has been lost. The same goes for concerts. I go to be musically entertained, not to be lectured about politics. I respect their right to their opinion but I don’t want to have to listen to their political views any more than they care to hear mine, especially when it’s on my dime!

[

Last edited by Hogfan55; 07-03-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Sentence structure
Old 07-03-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Page View Post
The NFL could be making a big mistake!
What happens when some fans refuse to stand for the Black National Anthem?

In any case. HAPPY 4th!
Enjoy your independence....while we still have it.
Why would anyone stand .......it’s not the National Anthem
Old 07-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

It's just a misguided thing that will further divide this nation. I can imagine every non black person turning their back or taking a knee when this extra song is played. All the BLM advocates will be "offended" by this. Just as most of the others were "offended" by Kapernack's knee.

BTW ....when most people say that they are "offended" by another's actions, I think that they just are annoyed or don't like it. They aren't really offended, because they don't really understand the true meaning of the word. Just like they misuse the words "decimated", "hero" or the king of misused words..
"AWSOME".
Old 07-03-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieER View Post
Why do we have to have the Star Spangled Banner or anything played before a game? Why can’t they just come out and play?
If you asked me that a couple of years ago I would have thought your question was crazy. Today, sadly I agree with you. Maybe they should simply do a moment of silence. During that moment you can reflect upon anything that you deem personally important to you.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:33 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
They've mixed since the beginning of time. Most notibly Jesse Owens and Hitler, Jackie Robinson, Tommie Smith and John Carlos, Muhammad Ali, the 1980 US Hockey team, Olympic boycotts, Colin Kaepernick knealing, NBA players protesting the anthem, Shawn Green not playing baseball on Yom Kippur, the Phoenix Suns honoring Hispanic heritage after Arizona enacted strict immigration law, NBA players wearing hoodie for Trayvon Martin, the University of Missouri football team having a hunger strike to force the university president to resign over racist environment on campus, WNBA/NBA playeRS wearingn"I can't breathe" shirts.

It goes on and on and on. They've always intersected and always will. Either your point is weak and invalid or you've never paid attention and I'm not sure which is worse.
He didn’t say it never happened or happens. I took his point as it should not happen. The length of a wrong act (slavery for example) does not make it right. It only seems as though it does because people get conditioned to it.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

My opinion for a long time has been the National Anthem is played inappropriately. It should be reserved for patriotic and official events, not commercial money-making productions. Stop playing it before NFL games. Instead, play Talking Heads' “Psycho Killer."
Old 07-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran member
Default America The Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
It is beyond sad when sports go down the tube. If they play some contrived garbage instead of the Star Spangled Banner I am through with them.
I always thought “America The Beautiful” was a better national anthem for us all
Closed Thread

Tags
national, anthem, song, week, voice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.