Just another step in the.......

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2023, 04:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Thanks for the clarification. When I saw the news article and posted , I wasn't thinking of the autistic community or their families. My first response was simply "here we go again" with some inane cause such as global warming or free speech zones. But you are spot on with the assessment that lower stimulation is better for the autistic---my apologies. I wish the news snippet would have given the reason for these special hours.
That was nice post. It was nice of you to acknowledge that the Wal-Mart plan does have some benefits to those more likely to be affected by sensory overload.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Small Changes, Big Impact: Sensory-Friendly Hours Return

No big deal IMHO. Except for parents with kids with autism. Or teachers of them, etc.
Article written by Denise Malloy Deaderick, Senior Vice President and Chief Belonging Officer

Is that a real title?
Old 11-08-2023, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Personally, I do not like Walmart's choice in musical entertainment. But, that's just me. Quiet is good, but I could not care less. As for a few that are having a problem with the store's environment, try to remember that you are in the minority. Why should the store (or anyone) feel the need to cater (coddle) a few? But, it it their business and like everyone else, if I don't like it I can order on line and either have it put in my car or have it delivered. Hey, if they are suffering from an illness, can't they do the same?
Oh my, I need to get my special needs dog suited up so I can go shopping.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:01 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
so-called "wussification" of America. Today Walmart announced that starting Friday they will have "sensory friendly" hours from 8-10 AM when the lights will be lower, the radio off and the TV screens set to a static image. Are they kidding???? What individual or group made this complaint and why in the world would Walmart even give a second thought to listening to them, much less enacting such an idiotic policy.

Let's hope we never get into a real war. I can see it now: "Sergeant, would you please tell the enemy to cut it out---their bombs are too bright and too noisy. Also, you failed to designate which foxholes are free speech zones." We are in trouble.
Oh are we ever, and many (most ?) have no idea the direction we've been taking for a number of years now. It all converges; you make major but very gradual. incremental, changes in school and university curriculum, at the same time you gradually diminish the role of the parent for the "higher ground" of protecting the child, you wage a war on firearms making them the cause of all the increased violence and unrest, while at the same time gradually closing state and federal mental health hospitals, you slowly curb the manufacture of ammunition until the military is at critically low level, then lower the nation's oil reserves while focusing on the development of battery dependent tanks for battle, this list could go on forever. Most will spend their time accusing one or the other parties for all this, while 90% of the population has no ability to recognize patterns and relationships of all these incremental changes and the interrelationship of all these elements. We need to do as police detectives do, take a huge room and make a time line of all these incremental, "harmless" changes that all appear to have very noble goals ! Are we equipped for WWIII, no, not emotionally, socially, physically, or materially. I fear the "greatest generation" is no longer admired or honored. When I was in school, that was an important part of the interwoven total curriculum. American exceptionalism is now a badge of shame. Don't like to contemplate where this will end ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 11-08-2023 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spell corection
Old 11-08-2023, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I don't see this as a problem. This is to accommodate people/children with Autism. It's no different than handicap ramps or gluten free menus for people with Celiac disease.
That's true, but I doubt that is what the posting individual actually meant; that we should not accommodate the disabled. My interpretation was not as narrow a view, more like a comment to reflect how, as a total population, our very culture is changing. I "think" the poster was looking at the "big picture", not trying to indicate that an adult or child with Autism is not to be respected or accommodated. But, I might be wrong ! From a totally personal perspective, I would prefer no music, no overly dim or overly bright lights, etc. in any businesses (not talking about massage spas and such). I might consider going to WM to shop during the "lowered intensity" hours, I just don't believe the poster was attempting to say WM is "wrong" to have, or not have, music, etc. Wish the villages would take the hint and NOT blast their villages radio at the pools, but, on the other hand, many would not enjoy the relative quiet to be able to read, chat at lower decibels, even "nap" in the sun without WVLG. So, can't please us all all of the time !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 11-08-2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: sp correction
Old 11-08-2023, 05:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Really?? Walmart is experimenting with a new concept in an attempt to increase profit. If it works, it will stick, if not, they will move on to the next idea.
Good analysis, thoughtful comment. I never took "advantage" of the so called "senior shopping hours" during the Covid panic, but if it worked for people, it sure did not keep me from going at other hours. It's all relative said Einstein... or so they say, LOL ! Who knows, people without disabilities may find they really enjoy the toned down atmosphere and shop those hours too causing WM to even increase the "lowered stimulation" hours even more ! ? Never can tell if you have a winning idea until you give it a trial. I just agree, apart from comments on disabilities and medical accommodations, that the general population is far LESS able to deal with such things than my parents and grandparents were.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Good analysis, thoughtful comment. I never took "advantage" of the so called "senior shopping hours" during the Covid panic, but if it worked for people, it sure did not keep me from going at other hours. It's all relative said Einstein... or so they say, LOL ! Who knows, people without disabilities may find they really enjoy the toned down atmosphere and shop those hours too causing WM to even increase the "lowered stimulation" hours even more ! ? Never can tell if you have a winning idea until you give it a trial. I just agree, apart from comments on disabilities and medical accommodations, that the general population is far LESS able to deal with such things than my parents and grandparents were.
I like all three of your posts and you are exactly right. Like I stated in my subsequent post, I didn't even think of those hours as being an attempt to accommodate the autistic community. I thought it was just another corporation appeasing some idiotic woke concept to lead us further down the path to destruction. Naturally, if their motivation was to help those individuals, I'm not against it at all---it's hardly an inconvenience to anyone else.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Today Walmart announced that starting Friday they will have "sensory friendly" hours from 8-10 AM when the lights will be lower, the radio off and the TV screens set to a static

Quote:
This is to accommodate people/children with Autism.
I’m calling BS.

People/children with autism don’t only shop at Walmart 800-1000am. Nonsense.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
I’m calling BS.

People/children with autism don’t only shop at Walmart 800-1000am. Nonsense.
Please read post 26. It's not a perfect solution but it's a start.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
Shouldn't you stick with being a global warming denier?
Old 11-08-2023, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Old 11-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Please read post 26. It's not a perfect solution but it's a start.
It would be hard for Walmart to do that at the busiest times. I recall during COVIDs worst times here in the Villages you had to get to Walmart very early to get a chance of nabbing some toilet paper and various other times, I got up around 6 AM a few times. I do not remember the exact times but it was quite early,

My Mom was a Special Education teacher in Reno, NV and also helped a Villages area Catholic Church with their program aiding Special Needs adults.

Doubt if these people would want to go at very busy times.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-09-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I can only report the story, I can't understand it for anyone. If anyone can't understand the subtexts involved in these types of decisions, we truly are in trouble
BINGO ! Can it be any more obvious that a very high percentage certainly do not understand the subtext of this, and many other posts, and yes, that does indicate we are in serious trouble !
Old 11-09-2023, 12:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. When I saw the news article and posted , I wasn't thinking of the autistic community or their families. My first response was simply "here we go again" with some inane cause such as global warming or free speech zones. But you are spot on with the assessment that lower stimulation is better for the autistic---my apologies. I wish the news snippet would have given the reason for these special hours.
I have no known sensory sensitivities, but I'd certainly take advantage of ANY store that offered music free shopping. Maybe it adds something to sooth the anxieties of strangers packed like sardines in an elevator, but for me I just don't enjoy someone else's music choices constantly bombarding me. Can't even sit Starbucks in LSL and enjoy a coffee on the front patio, constant assault of Villages radio, just like at the pools, every side walk, wonder if the residents of the new, more peaceful, natural setting villages have to put up with never being able to escape it unless you stay inside your home ?
Old 11-09-2023, 06:24 AM

Hah, how did I know who the OP was before opening the thread?
Closed Thread

Tags
walmart, real, war, hope, policy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.