Lori Loughlin

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Also, I’d be surprised if her legal fees are much under a million.

Actually, as a retired university professor, I don’t have much of a problem with people making very large donations to schools in exchange for the schools admitting a student or two—at full cost. It’s a good way for a school to get something it needs. Even arranging a phony sports scholarship doesn’t bother me much—the real players recognize the ones who aren’t. If they shame the fakes, so what? If the real players make good contacts with the fakes with money, that may help the real players down the line.

I have no doubt that Harvard and Yale are amazing schools, and they have a lot of students who are among the smartest people in the country. The academic competition with other great students and the opportunity to share ideas and learn is terrific for these exceptional students. However, for a lot of students in business and similar fields, the great thing about Harvard and Yale and some of the other Ivy League schools is the opportunity to make contacts with executives and top companies and the children of the elite families in the world. Why does this matter. I have a friend who works at Morgan Stanley and earns three times what I ever earned, but is not an executive. She paid $72,000 or so cash per year to send her son to Colby College, in Maine, which is hard to get into, but nowhere near Harvard level. He played Lacrosse. So, he made powerful friends and had a great Wall Street internship every summer. Before his senior year, he had a firm job offer at a top hedge fund with a starting salary after graduation of $150,000 a year. He didn’t know much, but he was “the right sort of people,” so he was welcomed in. His mom got great value for money. That’s how the system works. That’s what it is for. If your kids don’t want to enter that world or marry into that world, they needn’t both to apply.

The thing is, there are outstanding universities in California, as good as Harvard: UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, Cal Tech, USC, and a lot of others nearly that good. This woman shamed herself, her daughter, and her entire state, mostly for bragging rights.

As they say in Hollywood these days, “Orange Is the New Black.”

Paying someone to take your kids ACT tests is okay???

Looking the other way and allowing a privileged few to 'jump the line' and buy their kids way into higher education is fine because it's all good for the cause???

guess they don't stress ethics at the university level anymore

"He didn't know much, 'but he was the right sort of people' so he was welcomed in"... wow again, now that's a statement just oozing with academic elitism if there ever was one. As-well-as a reflection on how poorly higher education actually prepares students for the real world even after the kid had 4 years of internship.

Thanks for reinforcing how out of touch the folks that dwell in their over priced, insulated world of academia are.

Last edited by davem4616; 09-22-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,227 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
when you try to negotiate a deal you get your choice of prison in particular she is a parent and most judges want mothers near their daughters. Have some sympathy
I have sympathy for people who are the victims of circumstances that are beyond their control. I have no sympathy for people who knowingly commit criminal acts. Her daughters aren't children, they are college age adults. Do you think that Joe Schmoe nobody would be given any consideration? She is a criminal and should have gotten the same sentence like old Joe would have gotten for the same offense. She should also serve time in the same prison Joe would have be sent to. Right in there with all the other criminals where she belongs.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think much the criticism of Lori Loughlin is fueled by the media and the fact that she is wealthy. It has gone way overboard. Our country has a lot more problems to worry about than people cheating to get into college. How about those who commit violent crimes, are arrested, and released the same day? I would much rather see them go to jail.
Why not both?

White collar crime is more prevalent then blue collar crime. According to an Oxford study 36% of business and 25% of households (individuals) h ave been white collar crime victims in recent years. Compare this to 8% of businesses and 1.1% of households (individuals) who were victims of blue collar or street crimes.

White collar crimes tend to be more costly due to fraud, embezzlement and stock manipulation. According to FBI statistics white collar crime costs the American public $1 Trillion a year while blue collar crime accounts for $15 billion in losses.

Psychology Today says white collar crimes tend to draw lesser sentences because typically the criminal is white, educated and wealthy, and can afford a proper defense while most blue collar crimes are committed by lower income criminals who don't have money to defend themselves properly.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,798 Times in 3,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Paying someone to take your kids ACT tests is okay???

Now you tell me!!!!...........could have used that 40 years ago.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I guess I have a slightly different take on the issue. At least she was willing to pay tuition. I think it is worse for the parents who give up their parental rights to the grandparents, so they can avoid the tuition and sponge off the taxpayers. They are more despicable than Lori Loughlin.
Her criminal act deprived a deserving student their chance to excel. I find that even more despicable.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd20166 View Post
She is the "fall guy" for all the other elites caught up in this corruption.
No, she was a willing participant in a criminal act and got caught.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd20166 View Post
She is the "fall guy" for all the other elites caught up in this corruption.
Then what was Felicity Huffman?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Never heard of her, just googled her name to figure out who she is. No wonder I never heard of her, never watched anything she was an actress in.
LOL, I never heard of her either, 2 months in jail, she must of Jay Walked to get only 2 months!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoa1kale2 View Post
The prison systems make an attempt to place inmates near their families for visitation. They do this for everyone. They take into account the crime and which prisons can handle the inmate properly.
Yeah, right.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Also, I’d be surprised if her legal fees are much under a million.

Actually, as a retired university professor, I don’t have much of a problem with people making very large donations to schools in exchange for the schools admitting a student or two—at full cost. It’s a good way for a school to get something it needs. Even arranging a phony sports scholarship doesn’t bother me much—the real players recognize the ones who aren’t. If they shame the fakes, so what? If the real players make good contacts with the fakes with money, that may help the real players down the line.

I have no doubt that Harvard and Yale are amazing schools, and they have a lot of students who are among the smartest people in the country. The academic competition with other great students and the opportunity to share ideas and learn is terrific for these exceptional students. However, for a lot of students in business and similar fields, the great thing about Harvard and Yale and some of the other Ivy League schools is the opportunity to make contacts with executives and top companies and the children of the elite families in the world. Why does this matter. I have a friend who works at Morgan Stanley and earns three times what I ever earned, but is not an executive. She paid $72,000 or so cash per year to send her son to Colby College, in Maine, which is hard to get into, but nowhere near Harvard level. He played Lacrosse. So, he made powerful friends and had a great Wall Street internship every summer. Before his senior year, he had a firm job offer at a top hedge fund with a starting salary after graduation of $150,000 a year. He didn’t know much, but he was “the right sort of people,” so he was welcomed in. His mom got great value for money. That’s how the system works. That’s what it is for. If your kids don’t want to enter that world or marry into that world, they needn’t both to apply.

The thing is, there are outstanding universities in California, as good as Harvard: UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, Cal Tech, USC, and a lot of others nearly that good. This woman shamed herself, her daughter, and her entire state, mostly for bragging rights.

As they say in Hollywood these days, “Orange Is the New Black.”
So it's OK to deprive a poor qualified athlete the opportunities you mention so the college can get more money? That's just as despicable. Confirms my belief in the lack of integrity in the higher education system.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Wouldn’t it have better then trying these things in court , there couldn’t have been large donations to programs that help pay tuition for needy kids .The whole process seemed to me to be a dog and pony show for prosecutors and for the public a chance to heap all this scorn on people who were only doing what many of them would do if they had the money
In other words you have no problem with the wealthy elites committing crimes.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Lori Loughlin Will Get to Serve Her Two-Month Sentence at the Prison of Her Choice
(in California)

wow...Concord, Shirley or Walpole prisons in Massachusetts weren't good enough for her.....but they are okay for the common Joe/Jane???

Sounds like the so called 'elite' do get special treatment....just saying
I didn’t see anything about her facing to tile amended tax returns They took a 500K deduction which should result in taxes late fees penalty and income tax evasion
Old 09-22-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,798 Times in 3,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
I didn’t see anything about her facing to tile amended tax returns They took a 500K deduction which should result in taxes late fees penalty and income tax evasion

Aggressive deductions usually don't rise to tax evasion.......not reporting income is an accelerator to evasion.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Default Will she be able to vote now

Hopefully she will NOT get special treatment nor will she be allowed vote until she has made restitution. ( Like all other prisoners) Hopefully they will keep her in until after the election.. Or she will try to BUY VOTES

Quote:
Lori Loughlin Will Get to Serve Her Two-Month Sentence at the Prison of Her Choice
(in California)

wow...Concord, Shirley or Walpole prisons in Massachusetts weren't good enough for her.....but they are okay for the common Joe/Jane???

Sounds like the so called 'elite' do get special treatment....just saying
Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default Did you read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
In other words you have no problem with the wealthy elites committing crimes.
my post
Closed Thread

Tags
lori, loughlin, joe/jane, common, special

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.