Made in America

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Do we make anything in America anymore? Seems like everything is made in other countries.
I don’t really care where it’s made as long as it’s good quality.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Do we make anything in America anymore? Seems like everything is made in other countries.
The USA is the World's third largest exporter - a fact often missed when we concentrate just on foreign-produced stuff that we buy.

It is also a net exporter of food (importing less than 15% of what we consume).
Old 09-15-2021, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Yes but we have become accustomed to cheap products and have become used to products that break.

Example: retractable cord reels. Those extension cords that hang high in the garage/shop ready to power any tool. Chinese made (home Depot) 79.00 to 129.00.

US made (ReelCraft brand) 349.00.

I have American made ones, it's one less item to fail. Mathematically it is foolish. The pain of buying quality is felt once. Breakdowns are felt repeatedly.
Yup! Buy once, cry once...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-15-2021, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Well, many brands of beer are still brewed in the U.S. And that's nice.
And Bourbon Whiskey...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-15-2021, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

There are plenty of imported goods that are superior to domestic products, and there are plenty of imported products that aren't made in China. I'm fine with either Vermont or Canadian maple syrup, though I prefer Vermont. But Canadian is cheaper. If I can't have real actual maple syrup, I won't put ANY syrup on my pancakes at all. In fact when I eat at IHOP I don't use syrup, I just put butter on the pancakes.

When I'm in the mood for Chinese food, I trust the Chinese to know best how to make it, over an American.

Most American crossover SUVs are crap, and their warranties are crap. If I'm gonna get a crappy SUV, I'd rather pay a lot less, for a much better warranty, and get a Kia Soul - made in South Korea.

If I'm looking for a luxury car, I'd probably go for German or British engineering.

For my smoked salmon, I want it from Nova Scotia, Canada.

Bath towels? They can be made in the middle of the Atlantic ocean on an oil barge from Zimbabwe for all I care. If they keep me dry and don't stain my laundry purple they're fine.

Anyone who thinks caviar is the epitome of sophistication would probably laugh at you if you suggested that American caviar was better in any way, shape, or form, than Beluga caviar from Russia. And unless your idea of a fur coat is grand-dad's racoon hat and a couple fox tails from them that tried killin our hens in the back yard, you'll want your furs imported as well.

Some things are just flat out better if they're imported. Some, not so much. But to think that only Americans can make stuff good, is foolish, wasteful, and - xenophobic.

Xenophobia is not attractive. It's also counter-productive.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Wine, Napa wine definitely made in USA.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Wine, Napa wine definitely made in USA.
I kind of like Meiomi's Pinot Noir. California, semi-sweet red. Very fruity. Other than Manschewitz Concord Grape, New York vineyards, I don't really like wine at all.

I like my rum Puerto Rican (which is to say, American).

I like my chocolate liqueur imported from Italy (Meletti is the brand).

Most bananas sold in the USA (including those sold in Florida supermarkets) are grown in Guatemala, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Columbia, and Honduras.

EVEN THOUGH Florida is one of the top 2 banana growers in the USA.

Florida does not value "home grown" at all; even during the season, orange prices are no better here than they are back home in New England and even though tomato plants can thrive for most of the year, most of the tomatoes you get at the supermarket are from somewhere other than Florida.

For all the talk of "Made in America" there are just way too many people who make a lot of noise - but don't walk the talk.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:05 PM

weathertec car floor mats are made in the US not sure about the material that use to make where that comes from.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I am anti-isolationist. So I don't really care which country makes a thing, or which country makes a part of a thing that was used to make a thing. I care if it's a) something I actually want, b) affordable compared to similar things, c) readily available, d) of a measure of quality that meets or exceeds minimum standards, which depends entirely on what the thing is.

If my plastic credit card was made with petroleum imported from Saudi Arabia, I'm not going to refuse to use the credit card. In fact, my "care-o-meter" level of the country of origin of that plastic is at 1, only because there is no 0 on the care-o-meter.

If your car was made completely 100% in the USA, but all the machinery in the manufacturer's shop that is used to make the car was made in another country, would you care? No, scratch that. DO you even know what country the screws on the paint machine were made in? No, no you don't. You have no idea where those drills and paint machines and tire-pressure-gauges and whatever else is used to make a car, came from. Nor do you care.

And have you been into a Tesla plant lately, to make sure that all the employees were "made in America?" How many of them were "imported" and are citizens here, but born somewhere else? Have you checked? Have you cared enough to even wonder? Of course you haven't.

So - your "care" of the country of origin is noted. And insignificant.
But. Will you care when robots eliminates cashiers jobs? Well, not now right?
Old 09-15-2021, 08:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
I kind of like Meiomi's Pinot Noir. California, semi-sweet red. Very fruity. Other than Manschewitz Concord Grape, New York vineyards, I don't really like wine at all.

Most bananas sold in the USA (including those sold in Florida supermarkets) are grown in Guatemala, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Columbia, and Honduras.

Florida does not value "home grown" at all; even during the season, orange prices are no better here than they are back home in New England and even though tomato plants can thrive for most of the year, most of the tomatoes you get at the supermarket are from somewhere other than Florida.

For all the talk of "Made in America" there are just way too many people who make a lot of noise - but don't walk the talk.

Most of Florida oranges comes from California due to orange tree plague last 20 years.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
weathertec car floor mats are made in the US not sure about the material that use to make where that comes from.

Crude oil.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Well, my take is that we have prayed at the god of money for many decades. We raised our children to dream of getting rich and retiring early. EVERYTHING in this country is about making a fast buck. Bill Maher had a good "New Rules" last week pointing out how it is almost impossible to get any big projects done in this country because everyone wants to make some "under the table".

A lot of people blame outsourcing, but the fact is American's are addicted to cheap. Wall Street demands companies make quarterly goals that are set by money managers who have never worked for a living. Let a company miss money managers projections and the company's stock will tank. Not because the company did something wrong, BUt, because what they did right was not what the money manager wanted them to do.

Personally, I think most of our country's "issues" at this moment all have a root cause of making fast easy money no matter what the cost to our country.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:

Yup, true. And with intercontinental commerce on the rise, we can not compete. We need to rethink what we do and how we do it. I personally think Elon Musk is showing us the way. His competitors around the globe (space, cars, etc) are trying to figure out how to catch up, and lots of negative misinformation is spread about him and his companies because they can't compete with the truth. He does crazy sh!t and does it faster and better than anyone. He is not motivated at getting rich, all his profits go into his pet project (SpaceX to Mars Colony). He wants to make things better for others.

A long time ago, people worked hard, saved, and tried to make a better life for their kids. It seems that is no longer a trendy thing to do. Today is "I got mine, screw you".
Old 09-16-2021, 05:11 AM

Americans should be willing to pay what ever price American manufacturers want to charge, patriotism.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:30 AM

You are now seeing that manufacturing is moving back to the US in some fields .. automation makes it cheap enough anywhere. And we have seen supply chain disruptions get the attention of our leaders finally. Intel is building a $30 billion manufacturing plant for high end chips because we are worried China will take over Taiwan where all the high end chips are made. You will see changes over the next few years and globalization and monopolization is being questioned.
Closed Thread

Tags
made, america, make, anymore, countries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.