A man of privilege!

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2020, 06:53 AM

Thank you for your perspective. I don't think white people understand just how fortunate they are relatively to minorities. Protesting is necessary. Violence destroys community and that is destructive and senseless.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with that post totally, I am a Hispanic male, came over from Cuba In 1962, landed in Miami, did not speak English, had to work since there was no welfare back then, worked as many as 3 jobs to be able to eat, bought a car on payments and moved to Virginia. I saw and felt discrimination, I saw the signs saying “Cubans not allowed” I was called every bad name in the book, I got over it and are now retired with no debt, no pension, but very stable and I buy what I want when I want. It’s what you make of yourself what counts. If you live with a chip on your shoulder it will be there FOREVER. GET OVER IT, work hard, worship hard live a clean life, EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT. AMERICA IS THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES, IF YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO EARN IT. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!
Thank you! Your mention of the "chip on the shoulder" attitude is one thing everyone has to get rid of or they spend their life fighting battles and making enemies instead of friends.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:56 AM
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.

Neither have most black people in reality, only in the media!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 AM

My opinion is that you are not privileged because you are white. You are fortunate, not privileged, because you had a loving mom and dad, as many people today (both black and white) do not. You have God in your life. That is a choice every man and women have to make. I have black friends who have elected to take the same path in life as you. God ?Bless them too. I only wish the family unit could once again be a vital part of our society. I also am fortunate, not privileged, as I also had a loving mom and dad and I have asked God to lead me in life.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 AM

You don’t know what you don’t know.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 AM
Sage

The only real thing that has changed and promulgated the situation today is the breakup of the black family, you have single kids raising kids all over the black community--police know who the frequent flyers are, and they react to situations on a daily basis we can only dream of--maybe the only benefit of the current situation will be the demise of urban centers

These riots combined with coronavirus, high taxes will exorbate urban flight.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The only real thing that has changed and promulgated the situation today is the breakup of the black family, you have single kids raising kids all over the black community--police know who the frequent flyers are, and they react to situations on a daily basis we can only dream of--maybe the only benefit of the current situation will be the demise of urban centers

These riots combined with coronavirus, high taxes will exorbate urban flight.
I don't think that's the only thing. I see a lot more incidents of domestic abuse (wife-beating) in young white families. The kids grow up to see daddy beating mommy, and become numb to the violence. They grow up thinking just "it is what it is" and continue the pattern. Maybe if those families broke apart and didn't continue the cycle of violence our country wouldn't be so filled with violent angry white people so eager to blame someone for their ills.

The above was pure hyperbole. To demonstrate the hyperbole in Chatbrat's post, from the "other" side of the spectrum.

Black families breaking up is no more or less the "reason" for all this than white families refusing to break up in violent environments.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:12 AM

OrangeBlossomBaby You are so right. I know you are getting criticized because you didn't applaud the religious tone of the original post. Clap, clap. But you named only a few of the many examples of why white people do have an advantage. Not saying one asks for it, but it just is...you are born into it. You don't think about it day to day. Something else to thank God for.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:19 AM

How about having in tact households. The 70% out of wedlock births with no father in the home, holding up rappers with disgusting lyrics as role models and even inviting them to the white house? Are Asians also privileged or do they revere education and work there butts off? There are some blacks that "get it" and raise themselves up and succeed but they get called out for not being black enough. What a bunch of crap. You reap what you sow. My mother always said when everyone else is wrong it's time to start looking at yourself! I judge people by their actions not the color of their skin. I don't vote for gender or skin color but for who I think will get the job done. I'd be happy to vote for Condoeeziza Rice. Not because she is black or a woman but because of her work ethic
and abilities. This whole riot BS has been orchestrated. Not the demonstration but the RIOTS. THe rioters have set those neighborhoods back another 20 years. I could go on but I'll stop here.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:20 AM

Until we become solution focused it will continue. All sides need to stop rehearsing the problem.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:22 AM
Default Privileged or blessed

Maybe the word that we should be using is blessed.
Blessed that we have a loving home. Blessed that we have food in our bellies.
As whites, we are privileged. We have not even once had to be in fear of jogging down a road. Never once been in fear of going into a Starbucks and sitting.
We have never once been judged strictly by how much melanin is in our DNA.
All I am asking is to show grace. Don’t assume. Never assume.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Statements being made with general application connotations being treated as if a majority issue.....when they are not.

Continued examples of society being driven by special interests and minority (not race) representations!
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 AM

I forgot to say. In an example where every single thing is the exact same such as attractiveness, IQ, money, upbringing values, religious values, mom and dad types, body type, abilities, etc.; you add the black skin and see what happens. No it doesn't hold you completely back where you will never have a chance but none of us here wants to share those equals and then add the black skin to us. That would scare the hell out of us. We would no longer have the totally equal chances even though we might be able to become the president of a company or whatever. As far as stereotypes. Not all country people are rednecks, not all Fl people are morons (our new national name this year), not all white men are bigots, not all women that cheat are whores, not all urban people are city slickers not to be trusted, on and on. Each one should be judged by his or her own behavior just like you would like done to you and that is just not happening at a fair rate.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgavin View Post
How about having in tact households. The 70% out of wedlock births with no father in the home, holding up rappers with disgusting lyrics as role models and even inviting them to the white house? Are Asians also privileged or do they revere education and work there butts off? There are some blacks that "get it" and raise themselves up and succeed but they get called out for not being black enough. What a bunch of crap. You reap what you sow. My mother always said when everyone else is wrong it's time to start looking at yourself! I judge people by their actions not the color of their skin. I don't vote for gender or skin color but for who I think will get the job done. I'd be happy to vote for Condoeeziza Rice. Not because she is black or a woman but because of her work ethic
and abilities. This whole riot BS has been orchestrated. Not the demonstration but the RIOTS. THe rioters have set those neighborhoods back another 20 years. I could go on but I'll stop here.
The riots were led by, or manipulated by White Nationalists. That's been discovered and reported and confirmed. They've been doing tracing.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtoall View Post
I forgot to say. In an example where every single thing is the exact same such as attractiveness, IQ, money, upbringing values, religious values, mom and dad types, body type, abilities, etc.; you add the black skin and see what happens. No it doesn't hold you completely back where you will never have a chance but none of us here wants to share those equals and then add the black skin to us. That would scare the hell out of us. We would no longer have the totally equal chances even though we might be able to become the president of a company or whatever. As far as stereotypes. Not all country people are rednecks, not all Fl people are morons (our new national name this year), not all white men are bigots, not all women that cheat are whores, not all urban people are city slickers not to be trusted, on and on. Each one should be judged by his or her own behavior just like you would like done to you and that is just not happening at a fair rate.
Agreed. These are all things we *should* understand. But until those who DO live with that white privilege and deny it, stop denying it, it will continue. "All they have to do is..." doesn't mean a load of nothing. A black man in New Haven was stopped, questioned, detained, and searched for going to an abandoned building. The police though the guy was a drug dealer, or going to visit a drug dealer. They thought he stole the car he arrived in. He was humiliated, publicly.

Turns out - he was one of the big-wigs of City Hall. Not the Mayor but someone up there, it was awhile back and I can't remember exactly.

They stopped him because he is black. They didn't recognize him because he wasn't AT the town hall in his suit in his office surrounded by his mostly white staff to vouch for him.

So saying "all you have to do is take what you're given and propel yourself up from it" - is basically saying "I have no idea what it's like, and I believe what I believe and no amount of proof will make me believe otherwise."
Closed Thread

Tags
privilege, kids, prayer, man, sunday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.