Massachusetts Law on Cigarettes

Old 03-14-2024, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

A bunch of crazies are in city and state government everywhere. These little insidious laws are "tests" that they hope will eventually become nationwide. 20% of people that smoke get lung cancer. 20% of lung cancer cases occur in people that have never smoked.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMS View Post
QUOTE=mtdjed;2310579]While I am not a smoker, couldn't help but notice an article in today's Village Daily Sun, regarding a Brookline City bylaw being approved to ban cigarette and tobacco sales to anyone born in the 21st century. Upheld by the States highest court.

What next, Alcohol, Birth Control, Ice Cream?

So, in 2050, a person 51 years old will be buying cigarettes for their 49-year-old neighbors at $50/pack.

While at it, why not ban people born before 1980, since they have already been exposed to enough smoke.

Not picking on smokers but rather the rule makers.
If smokers want to pay big bucks to hasten their own deaths, it is their business. However all the butts they throw out their cars and leave on the golf courses and roads is what needs to be outlawed. Some are real slobs.[/QUOTE]

But it is our business if people want to smoke themselves to death. It impacts our health care system. According to the American Cancer Society, smoking kills more people than alcohol, car crashes, suicide, AIDS, murder, and drugs combined. Smoking causes 87% of lung cancer deaths. Lung cancer is the leading type of cancer in men and women. During 2010-2014, an estimated 11.7% (95% CI = 11.6%, 11.8%) of U.S. annual healthcare spending could be attributed to adult cigarette smoking, translating to annual healthcare spending of more than $225 billion dollars based on total personal healthcare expenditures reported in 2014.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

"Tobacco related deaths in this country don't cost our society a damn penny. The cost of a pack of cigarettes is 90% tax money that Uncle Sam gets from the smokers. The government gets hundreds of millions of $$$$ from the smokes."

True words.

What a lot of folks don't realize is that tobacco can be grown, and is legal to do so, (at least it was three years ago when I checked) in all 50 states. Don't try selling it though...Uncle Sam may have something to say about that!
Old 03-14-2024, 11:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
"

What a lot of folks don't realize is that tobacco can be grown, and is legal to do so, (at least it was three years ago when I checked) in all 50 states. Don't try selling it though...Uncle Sam may have something to say about that!
I was visiting my sister in a rural part of Connecticut, & I was surprised to drive past fields of tobacco. Connecticut with its rocky soil & a bit of a cold snap for 6 months or so a year, is not well known as an agricultural state. I guess I had always thought Virginia & North Carolina had the tobacco industry all sewed up.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
The cost of a pack of cigarettes is 90% tax money
You got me curious.

The highest tax is $5.35 a pack in New York. The lowest is Georgia at $0.35. the average state cigarette tax is $1.93 a pack. I didn't know what the cost of a pack is but if it's $4 a pack about 50% tax.

I should have kept reading, the info above is state tax. Federal tax is $1.01 a pack. The highest in the country is Chicago with all tax included is $7.16. wow

Last edited by LeRoySmith; 03-14-2024 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I was visiting my sister in a rural part of Connecticut, & I was surprised to drive past fields of tobacco. Connecticut with its rocky soil & a bit of a cold snap for 6 months or so a year, is not well known as an agricultural state. I guess I had always thought Virginia & North Carolina had the tobacco industry all sewed up.
The area around Windsor, CT, was once a tobacco dynasty. There are still a bunch of farms that produce leaves to wrap some of the finest cigars in the world.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...but because the Federal government benefits by adding special taxes to tobacco products, they tax it and allow legal sale of it for "recreational purposes" instead of outlawing it. Unlike cannabis, which is STILL classified in the same category as heroin on a federal level.

Tobacco produces nicotine, which is a federally regulated drug. The fact that it's available for sale at all on the public market, indicates that the government is making bank on it. If they weren't, it'd be illegal nationwide, because tobacco causes cancer. There's no "but" about it, there's no "yeah well this other study says" about it. It causes cancer, and there is no redeeming social value for its existence. It does nothing FOR anyone, it's addictive, habit-forming, causes people to choke and cough and leaves a film of tar on the windows and walls, makes a person smell bad, and results in thousands of people dying every year from lung cancer directly caused by inhaling tobacco smoke.

I smoked for many years. Was finally able to quit, with the help of Chantix. The "smoking cessation" lobbies also want tobacco to be legal, and push to keep it legal, because without nicotine addicts, they'd be out of business.

It's just a money grab, at the expense of human lives.
All that is true, but the topic was a government banning sales to certain persons based upon an arbitrary age discrimination beyond youth. Ban it on public streets, parks, beaches etc. Ban selling it in all stores in your jurisdiction. You might not get reelected, but at least the restriction could be understood and not discriminate against a class of people.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
All that is true, but the topic was a government banning sales to certain persons based upon an arbitrary age discrimination beyond youth. Ban it on public streets, parks, beaches etc. Ban selling it in all stores in your jurisdiction. You might not get reelected, but at least the restriction could be understood and not discriminate against a class of people.
Basically - they're banning the purchase of cigarettes, but grandfathering in most people who've been smoking legally up until that point. I get the logic behind it.

There are still dry towns in several states, where alcohol is not allowed to be sold. No liquor stores, no beer, no bars, no wine at restaurants.

I don't see any problem with a town that wants to gradually eliminate smoking. No one has a constitutional right to smoke. "Freedom to inhale poisonous fumes and exhale them into public air" is not a right, or even a privilege. It's more of an oversight. Kudos to the town in MA for starting the process of correcting that oversight.

There was already a minimum age (21) to buy tobacco in MA, they've just raised the age, and capped it at a specific birth year.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
You got me curious.

The highest tax is $5.35 a pack in New York. The lowest is Georgia at $0.35. the average state cigarette tax is $1.93 a pack. I didn't know what the cost of a pack is but if it's $4 a pack about 50% tax.

I should have kept reading, the info above is state tax. Federal tax is $1.01 a pack. The highest in the country is Chicago with all tax included is $7.16. wow
Well, it is the Chicago way! home of Al Alfonzo Capone the Boy Scout of Chicago when it comes to city officials
Old 03-14-2024, 07:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
You got me curious.

The cheapest cigarettes in the USA, are in Missouri, with and average price of $6.25. The average price in the USA is around $8. Wawa is about $11 for brand names.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The area around Windsor, CT, was once a tobacco dynasty. There are still a bunch of farms that produce leaves to wrap some of the finest cigars in the world.
You’re correct, the tobacco farms running along the Connecticut river Valley between Deerfield, MA and Windsor, CT produce what is considered the finest tobacco leaves in the world for rolling premium cigars. Many premium Cuban cigars are rolled in leaves from that river valley corridor. A couple of my friends and I spent a summer during high school working on one of those farms, very hard and nasty work, but it put drinking $$$ in our pockets.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You’re correct, the tobacco farms running along the Connecticut river Valley between Deerfield, MA and Windsor, CT produce what is considered the finest tobacco leaves in the world for rolling premium cigars. Many premium Cuban cigars are rolled in leaves from that river valley corridor. A couple of my friends and I spent a summer during high school working on one of those farms, very hard and nasty work, but it put drinking $$$ in our pockets.
Have been in that area in MA and had no idea that was going on out there. Very cool
Old 03-15-2024, 04:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Have been in that area in MA and had no idea that was going on out there. Very cool
Greenfield Recorder - Valley has rich history of growing tobacco
Old 03-15-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Well, it is the Chicago way! home of Al Alfonzo Capone the Boy Scout of Chicago when it comes to city officials
The politicians end up in jail about as often as the mobsters in Chicago, nice place

Tags
ban, cigarettes, born, neighbors, 49-year-old

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.