Massachusetts Law on Cigarettes

Old 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Massachusetts Law on Cigarettes

While I am not a smoker, couldn't help but notice an article in today's Village Daily Sun, regarding a Brookline City bylaw being approved to ban cigarette and tobacco sales to anyone born in the 21st century. Upheld by the States highest court.

What next, Alcohol, Birth Control, Ice Cream?

So, in 2050, a person 51 years old will be buying cigarettes for their 49-year-old neighbors at $50/pack.

While at it, why not ban people born before 1980, since they have already been exposed to enough smoke.

Not picking on smokers but rather the rule makers.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
While I am not a smoker, couldn't help but notice an article in today's Village Daily Sun, regarding a Brookline City bylaw being approved to ban cigarette and tobacco sales to anyone born in the 21st century. Upheld by the States highest court.

So, in 2050, a person 51 years old will be buying cigarettes for their 49-year-old neighbors at $50/pack.

While at it, why not ban people born before 1980, since they have already been exposed to enough smoke.

Brookline MA tries to emulate their counterparts across The Charles in Cambridge. Thus the nickname, the Peoples Republic of...
Old 03-13-2024, 11:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

What happens in Brookline Mass, has no relevence to any of us.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:

Should just outlaw it all together
Cigarettes kills 480,000 a year - legal to buy
Marijuana kills 0 a year - illegal
Makes since
Old 03-13-2024, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

In UK, 20 cigarettes is now £16. (That's approx. $20.50)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Although I’m not the OP, everything that sets precedent in this country has relevance. Unless your travels are confined to TV proper, it’s important to watch out for this kind of nonsense. It’s like bike lanes where there was once parking spots and travel lanes. Every action has a reaction
Old 03-13-2024, 12:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:

I wonder if that is age discrimination?
Old 03-13-2024, 12:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Although I’m not the OP, everything that sets precedent in this country has relevance. Unless your travels are confined to TV proper, it’s important to watch out for this kind of nonsense. It’s like bike lanes where there was once parking spots and travel lanes. Every action has a reaction
Apparently, it started in New Zealand and the UK is considering a similar law!

In 2022, New Zealand passed a similar law intended to impose a lifetime ban on young people buying cigarettes by mandating that tobacco can’t ever be sold to anybody born on or after Jan. 1, 2009. The country’s new prime minister has said he plans to repeal the law.
U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak last year proposed raising the legal age that people in England can buy cigarettes by one year, every year until it is eventually illegal for the whole population.

C.S. Lewis called these people "omnipotent moral busybodies."

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

I think there are some people that would even ban ketchup!!
Old 03-13-2024, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Oh, but it does.

Massachusetts has banned the sale of Menthol cigarettes. The FDA has announced plans to ban Menthol cigarettes all over the USA.

The currently controversy, is that plan is discriminatory, because African-Americans are more likely to be "addicted" to menthol cigarettes ... of course, that's because the big, bad tobacco companies, specifically marketed Menthol cigarettes to African-Americans.

I don't make this stuff up, I'm only reporting the news.

FDA says it will finalize ban on menthol tobacco products ‘in coming months’ | CNN
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Ban Menthol.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	103295  
Old 03-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
Should just outlaw it all together
Cigarettes kills 480,000 a year - legal to buy
Marijuana kills 0 a year - illegal
Makes since
I have a friend who never smoked a cigarette but was an avid pot smoker and got lung cancer.
Edibles only for him now.
Make sense?
Old 03-13-2024, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Not true. Our daughter, my older brother, and two of my nieces live there. And Brookline is the bedroom community for many of the best doctors in the entire world. It has great relevance to me.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:15 AM
Default Anecdote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Oh, but it does.

Massachusetts has banned the sale of Menthol cigarettes. The FDA has announced plans to ban Menthol cigarettes all over the USA.

The currently controversy, is that plan is discriminatory, because African-Americans are more likely to be "addicted" to menthol cigarettes ... of course, that's because the big, bad tobacco companies, specifically marketed Menthol cigarettes to African-Americans.

I don't make this stuff up, I'm only reporting the news.

FDA says it will finalize ban on menthol tobacco products ‘in coming months’ | CNN
Worked a few summers in an International Harvester foundry - a *very* dirty place. Coal mine level dirty. My black brethren not only tended to smoke Kools, but opened their packs from the "wrong" end. Told me it was for keeping the filter tips clean. Brilliant.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:06 AM
Default Bans

Quote:

Yeah and let’s make it a legal requirement that all kids must have both a pistol and rifle and to strip them of independent cognitive thought. Oh already true you say ? Awful
Old 03-14-2024, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:

i think it's bogus. on any purchase, (within reason) i should be able to make my own decisions. the US is becoming a powerful nanny-state
Old 03-14-2024, 06:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Agree

Tags
ban, cigarettes, born, neighbors, 49-year-old

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.