The Media is the Virus

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The only news sources to trust do not have letters in their network identity.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 AM

If you test more you will get more negative and positive results. What matters is if the ratio changes..that is more + than - outcomes. That is what is occurring.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbtbZmYW...jpg&name=large
Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
Agree,

If this was truly a pandemic everything would be shut down with people dying in the streets.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
perhaps a more studious and complete search would have uncovered this....

"PHOENIX – A reporting glitch from the Arizona health department Monday didn’t impact the fact that more coronavirus patients are in the state’s hospitals than ever before.

There were 2,721 confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients hospitalized Sunday, according to data reported by the Arizona Department of Health Services on Monday.

That topped the previous high of 2,691 from the previous day and continued an upward trend that has seen the number double since June 11.

"COVID-19 hospitalizations aren’t the only data point at or near a pandemic-high mark in Arizona.

The number of COVID-19 patients in ICU beds increased overnight by 13 to 679 on Sunday, a high mark.

THE DOGGONE MEDIA ONCE AGAIN

"https://ktar.com/story/3348077/arizona-hospital-data-with-record-covid-19-patients-not-affected-by-error/
From your link

However, a department spokesman told KTAR News 92.3 FM that the reporting issue didn’t affect the accuracy of hospitalization and bed capacity numbers, as well as the report of zero deaths.

They had a peak of hospital admissions 2 weeks ago. The Arizona Dept of Health websites shows new admissions to hospitals trending steeply downward. They are at 84% capacity of ICU beds which will go down shortly as the cases from 2 weeks ago either die or are sent home.

The ABC news article tried to give impression that Arizona hospitals are overwhelmed, they are not.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:58 AM

I love the thread title “ the media is the virus” finally someone gets it! Thanks
Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
What a load of rubbish. The US is experiencing a record number of new cases daily of close to 40,000 per day. 28 states had 50% + increases in June. Putting your head in the sand will only make the pandemic last longer.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Why would the media wish the economy not to recover too soon? Regardless of the type of media, they depend on advertising for their own economic success. A down economy means less advertising income. Your thesis doesn’t make sense.
I wonder what people do during a pandemic when they are told to stay home?

News consumption was high among U.S. audiences as viewers turned to their preferred networks for updates on the coronavirus pandemic. Fox News averaged 3.54 million primetime viewers in the week running from March 9 to 15, 2020, and in April 2020 CNN's average audience among the 25-54 demographic jumped by 193 percent year on year.

Have you seen a big drop in commercials in the past few months? Me neither.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Gosh, how nice of you.

Apparently ABC news did not check with the Arizona Department of Health Services which monitors daily covid 19 hospitalizations for the whole state. They have been going down since early June and are nowhere near full capacity.

Scroll down and click on the Hospitalizations red circle for the Hospitalizations by day graph.

ADHS - Data Dashboard
Wow! I just checked this site and it's amazing how misleading the ABC story turns out to be. Clear case of sensationalism and confirmation bias. Pitiful example of the current state of the media.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 AM

The media reports are pretty clear - the virus is spreading all across the south. It's pretty clear. Not sure what's the problem.

However, since we can't put the genie back in the bottle ... we have to watch and keep safe. Nice and easy.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I don't trust any station now to actually just give me the news without a bias

so....we've stopped watching and our blood pressure is down....who knew? LOL
I agree with your first statement. However, with your second statement, yes, your blood pressure may be down but I bet your arm strength is down as well. Mine is up from throwing stuff at my TV after hearing all the BS.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 AM

Looks like you took the bait, hook, line, and sinker. Fake news is fake only because it's truthful. I have a wonderful parcel of land right in the heart of New York City that I can sell you really cheap. Interested? Beware of those who go through life with their eyes, hearts, and minds closed.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Shaking my head at the comments on here. Brushing off a deadly disease like it’s nothing and all media made up. People need to wake up. It’s here to stay for a very long time and will continue to spread with these attitudes. Horrible for the doctors and nurses to constantly try to save people without knowing everything about it, putting their own lives at risk because we don’t take it seriously. Many have PTSD already. Do we think they are all going to stay in this profession with a steady stream of covid patients? They have families too and want to survive WITH them. So what if there’s more capacity?! It’s fine to keep spreading it because there are enough beds? For now? So what if someone goes in for something else and is tested positive for covid and now counts as a covid hospitalization? Now they have to be in a separate area with more stringent care/PPE. They are spreaders! We DO need to keep up with masks and social distancing. Other countries have done this and have brought their numbers way down. We are the WORST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD for infections because we have not been consistent in trying to control this. People, we are the age group at risk!!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
there is no real news today....oh for the days of Walter Cronkite and Hunley/Brinkley

every station is pushing out their bias

We've stopped watching them
same here on not watching tv news on any channel. just scan the daily sun headlines then some fav science websites.. i do think this post was informative... but the usual few snarky remarks that contribute nothing
Old 07-01-2020, 08:13 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
What a load of rubbish. The US is experiencing a record number of new cases daily of close to 40,000 per day. 28 states had 50% + increases in June. Putting your head in the sand will only make the pandemic last longer.
Nope, no rubbish here. Sure, lots of new cases but the death rate has gone down since the peak. The surge of new cases is composed mostly of young people, the median age of new cases in Flroida is 35, down from 65 in March and April. Similar median age drop in other surging states. If you are under 50 the CDC puts your death rate from covid 19 at 0.05%. Less than the flu. A few of them die because they have hypertension or other health problem. 70-80% of this age group are asymptomatic or very mild symptoms

Why has the median age of new case dropped so much? Several reasons

1. Floyd protests - spike began 1-2 weeks after massive protests
2. Workplace testing - employers require workers to get tested
3. Reopening - no social distancing at bars etc (but spike started right after protests, not right after reopening
4. Testing easier to get, previously you needed to have symptoms.

These cases have always been there, these people never got tested because they had zero or very mild symptoms.

The number of Americans who have contracted COVID-19 is likely 10 times higher than the 2.5 million currently confirmed cases, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

Center For Disease Control (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield’s estimate indicates that at least 25 million Americans have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 to date.

If you are 65+ or have at risk health complications, my advice is to continue safe practices. Personally I don't enter any enclosed spaces other than my home, there are lots of asymptomatic cases out there and while they don't get sick and die they can still pass it to me. But I am not panicked by the surge in new cases because I understand where it is coming from.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

I’ll stay with NIH CDC and John Hopkins. Tracking Covid is now rising in 28 states since reopening even with protective measures as PPE. There were not protests in every state considering the epicenter Ma Ny Ri and Nj have had less than 300. The one difference is MASKS and SOCIAL DISTANCING as compared to Fl Tx Az Ca.
A mask will not hurt you.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospitalizations, hospitalization, hospitals, graph, began

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.