The Media is the Virus

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 07-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Stu from NYC Stu from NYC is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,168
Thanks: 182
Thanked 1,620 Times in 532 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
ABC - Always Bull Crap
CBS - Continuous Bull S.....
NBC - Nothing But Crap
FOX - Full of eXcrement
Oops I didn’t take a side. I’m in deep C, S or X.
CNN = Communist News Network
  #62  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 PM
GoodLife's Avatar
GoodLife GoodLife is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,460
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,132 Times in 610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We believe what fits our agenda so if you want to discount what you hear then go out and play. All I ask is that you respect others that may not believe what you believe or believe that you are an interpretive expert. That respect would include social distancing and masks.
I just check actual data sources for actual facts. Like when I see someone link a news report that implies all the Arizona Hospitals are bursting at the seams with covid patients and I look at Arizona Dept of Health stats and see that they are not.

I'm also not denying that there is a surge of new cases. Simply pointing out that the median age of these new cases is 35 and that people of this age group rarely die, are often asymptomatic, and that these types of cases have always been there, they just never got tested before. I predict, with factual reasons, that we will not see a huge spike in deaths from these surges unless the old and at risk drop their guard and start mixing it up too much with the general public.

Remember that Covid 19 death score thread someone posted a while back? I scored a twenty on it. 1 point for being alive, multiplied by 20 for being over 65. I challenged anyone in that thread to post a lower score. No takers. I haven't done any of the things that were listed that add more points, like going to grocery stores, going out to eat inside or outside table, movie theater, meetings of more than 5 etc etc

I am a superstar when it comes to social distancing, haven't been within 20 feet of anyone for 3 months. Don't have a mask, they don't protect you all that much and since I don't enter ANY buildings other than my own home, I don't have any need for a mask. I play golf (alone) swim in my pool, take walks, and talk to my neighbors from a very safe distance.

So no lectures on having respect are needed thank you.
  #63  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 5,584
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 740 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
there is no real news today....oh for the days of Walter Cronkite and Hunley/Brinkley

every station is pushing out their bias

We've stopped watching them
Don’t you mean they’re network/owner’s agenda?
  #64  
Old Today, 02:45 PM
meboyle meboyle is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT to The Villages in May
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
You speak the truth. Florida Dept. Of Health dashboard, has a map by county.
Touch the county and the numbers come up. I’ve been tracking this fro the beginning. The media does alarm people by not telling us the hospitalizations and death numbers. They are the important numbers. I wrote to channel six, and they were reporting those numbers now. If we write and tell them to do this, they will.
Some People don’t know they have it, some will feel like they have a cold. I’m retired, so I isolate, and wear a mask. Using sanitizer and washing my hands often has kept me safe. We don’t have to panic. Let’s be informed, and do whatever we can to be safe.
MaryAnne Boyle
  #65  
Old Today, 03:34 PM
Aloha1 Aloha1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 810
Thanks: 440
Thanked 298 Times in 120 Posts
Default

And just today, Arizona's Public Health agency stated that although the number of positives has gone up, Covid hospitalizations have gone down and 91% of ICU beds are empty.
The MSM loves to hype and misinform because it attracts eyeballs which, in turn, drive ad revenue.. Be a wary consumer and think about the agendas being driven.
__________________
Roseville, MI, East Lansing, MI, Okemos, MI, Kapalua, HI, Village of Pine Ridge
  #66  
Old Today, 04:15 PM
GoodLife's Avatar
GoodLife GoodLife is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,460
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,132 Times in 610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
And just today, Arizona's Public Health agency stated that although the number of positives has gone up, Covid hospitalizations have gone down and 91% of ICU beds are empty.
The MSM loves to hype and misinform because it attracts eyeballs which, in turn, drive ad revenue.. Be a wary consumer and think about the agendas being driven.
It's not just revenue driven. I'd guess 70-80% of the media wants a certain someone to lose in November. They don't report the news, they are activists with a byline.

Here's how that ABC story trying to scare people that all the hospitals a full was written.

The editor tells reporters/research staff "I want a story about a hospital that's bursting at the seams with covid patients. Get some juicy quotes about nurses crying and saying they've never seen anything like it. I don't care if you have to call every hospital in Arizona"

Believe me, they know how to check the Arizona Dept of Health to get actual occupancy numbers just like I did.
  #67  
Old Today, 04:36 PM
Number 10 GI Number 10 GI is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 492
Thanks: 1,128
Thanked 688 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Agree - all but one station is very good at giving us the real news stories
I agree, CNN is lousy for actual news.
  #68  
Old Today, 04:51 PM
CatskillBill's Avatar
CatskillBill CatskillBill is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I find this site very informative since the majority of The Villages
is in Sumter County.
4 deaths in Sumter County since May 1st.
None since May 20th.
Click the upper left to change counties.
Also about 20% of all cases are in Coleman and Sumter Co Correctional.
I think we're doing a heck of a job here.


The Villages, FL Coronavirus Information - Safety Updates, News and Tips - The Weather Channel | Weather.com


Quote:
Originally Posted by meboyle View Post
You speak the truth. Florida Dept. Of Health dashboard, has a map by county.
Touch the county and the numbers come up. I’ve been tracking this fro the beginning. The media does alarm people by not telling us the hospitalizations and death numbers. They are the important numbers. I wrote to channel six, and they were reporting those numbers now. If we write and tell them to do this, they will.
Some People don’t know they have it, some will feel like they have a cold. I’m retired, so I isolate, and wear a mask. Using sanitizer and washing my hands often has kept me safe. We don’t have to panic. Let’s be informed, and do whatever we can to be safe.
MaryAnne Boyle
  #69  
Old Today, 05:02 PM
TexaninVA's Avatar
TexaninVA TexaninVA is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 348
Thanked 672 Times in 247 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
Boy did you ever nail it .... the media is indeed the virus. Just another form of political warfare on their part.
__________________
"Carthage must be destroyed." Cato the Elder
  #70  
Old Today, 06:15 PM
tvbound tvbound is online now
Member
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 94
Thanks: 8
Thanked 59 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
And just today, Arizona's Public Health agency stated that although the number of positives has gone up, Covid hospitalizations have gone down and 91% of ICU beds are empty. The MSM loves to hype and misinform because it attracts eyeballs which, in turn, drive ad revenue.. Be a wary consumer and think about the agendas being driven.
"Believe me, they know how to check the Arizona Dept of Health to get actual occupancy numbers just like I did."


I also like to go straight to the source and not depend on any news sources, but according to the ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES site yesterday, 91% of adult ICU beds are in use, not empty.

ADHS - Data Dashboard

Not saying that they are all Covid cases, but I think someone misunderstood what the 91% represented.

The good news is that it looks like they still have a little more than one-half of the state ventilators available.

In our search for where we wanted to retire, we have a number of friends that chose Arizona and we've visited the state many times, but in texting they say they are taking the recommended precautions and so far so good.

As for choosing The Villages over AZ, even the recent TV stuff that made the news hasn't changed our minds (the variety of golf and other activities win out) and we will find our TV home at some point in the near future, but our eyes are a little more open than previously.
Attached Thumbnails
az-icu-beds-jpg  
Reply

Tags
hospitalizations, hospitalization, hospitals, graph, began

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.