Is the Moderna Vaccine authorized for the booster shot or not?

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM

We received our Moderna booster 3 weeks ago while visiting family in Virginia.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
So.......Lester and Nora are telling the truth? So glad to hear that.

Having said that..... Hubby saw a "desk" set up at Colony Publix to register people for the Moderna booster shot. I guess Publix hasn't received the memo.
yes, but when I asked about Moderna he said only immunocompromised are eligible
Old 09-26-2021, 08:19 AM

A third shot of Moderna is not a "booster". It is a third shot and is available to immunocompromised individuals.

It is available from Publix.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Moderna and J&J are still authorized by CDC for "emergency" use.......which all of us who have the first two doses received.....with no FDA full approval.
See first paragraph in link below:

Get Vaccine Answers | How we know COVID-19 vaccines… | The Ad Council

The so called procedural approval process moves very slowly and inefficiently and influenced by special interest and other controlling groups.

The Moderna third dose is no less "approved" than the first two shots.....all doses are the same formulation and dosage!

The approval status is a well worn, misunderstood red herring!!!!
However, Moderna is stating that only a 50% dose is needed for the 3rd shot. That's what they are asking approval for, not a 3rd shot of the same strength as the first two. So, can you ask for for only a 50% shot at Publix?
Old 09-26-2021, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Been hearing to many bad things about the 2 that we already got. Think I’m going to wait until the last min. to get the booster!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:48 AM

The Moderna booster when approved will be 50% strength of the original shots. Still in testing.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:49 AM
Default Villages Health offers Moderna booster

My wife went to our Villages Health PCP 10 days ago to take care of another issue. While there, she asked about getting a flu shot, and what’s up with booster shots for COVID. I’m 68, wife is 67. We are both on the UHC Medicare Advantage Plan and in excellent health.

She was told we could both get Moderna booster if we wanted, and if we got it, we should wait at least 2 weeks after to get the flu shot.

As it was late on a Friday, we made an appt to return on Monday to get the booster. We both had received our 2nd Moderna jab early in February 2021.

We got our booster. I had no reaction after mine. My wife was a bit tired for a day, and her arm was a little sore for a day. We played golf, and carried on with a whirlwind of activities this past week. No lasting after effects at all.

We’re off to Disneyworld later this week for a few days for their 50th Anniversary celebration, and then off to St Petersburg the next week to see the grandkids.

We do understand that the vaccine is not for everyone. We see that each country is dealing with vaccines differently for its residents. Some even mix the different vaccines, like my cousins reported in Canada.

For us, we are healthy, and hope to remain so. We understand that the vaccines are experimental, but they seem to be working for us. It seems that we are ok, but no one knows for sure the long term effects.

Let’s all hope that the science is right, and that we all learn more as to why some are more susceptible to COVID, why some are more susceptible to side effects from the vaccine, and why some people remain unaffected by COVID whether vaccinated or not.

Each of us needs to decide what to do.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
Old 09-26-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
However, Moderna is stating that only a 50% dose is needed for the 3rd shot. That's what they are asking approval for, not a 3rd shot of the same strength as the first two. So, can you ask for for only a 50% shot at Publix?
Our Doctor ordered the third shot for my wife and myself. We both had a Moderna shot and it was a full dose just like the first and second ones were.

The Third Shot hit me hard for several days. I can't believe it but the Third Shot is hitting my wife pretty hard. She's usually like the Energizer Bunny, not today. It's sad to see her wiped out like that but the trade off is well worth it. That's my opinion. Respect it please. She had almost no reaction to Shot #1 & #2.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:52 AM
Default Moderna Booster Shots

Wife and I got ours at Publix in Trailwinds about two weeks ago.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
No.
I asked about the 1/2 dose Moderna study.
The pharmacy goes by what is approved....a dose the same as the first two.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:00 AM

Approval for Moderna booster is expected “soon”:

CDC issues booster guildelines for Pfizer COVID vaccine, with Moderna and J&J next. What to know - CNET
We live in interesting times
Old 09-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Default Moderna booster shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
MSM is reporting that Moderna has not received EAU for booster shots, even for immunocompromised people. People who have received their immunizations from Moderna will just have to wait for their booster shots. They even said that thousands of people have already received Moderna booster shots that should not have received them because Moderna booster shots are not yet authorized. I heard this from Lester Holt (NBC) and from Nora O'Donnell (CBS). I know many of you do not consider these news sources to be reliable so now I'm starting to wonder just how reliable they are. Can't believe I even said that!

I went to the Johns Hopkins website, as recommended by someone on another thread. Johns Hopkins states that they are administering Pfizer and Moderna booster shots to those who have a "qualifying medical condition". This is from the Johns Hopkins website, FAQ..........

"Is Johns Hopkins offering third shots of the Covid-19 vaccines?
Yes. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized an additional COVID-19 vaccine dose for people who received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines and have a qualifying medical condition, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A third shot has been authorized only for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.

People with a qualifying medical condition who have received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines are eligible to get an additional dose of the same vaccine at select Johns Hopkins Medicine vaccination clinics. Eligible people must schedule a COVID-19 vaccine third dose in advance, as follows:

Schedule online through MyChart. View scheduling instructions.
Schedule by phone at 443-997-1875, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The FDA and CDC continue to evaluate data regarding the need for additional doses for other populations. For now, those who received the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine are not eligible to receive any additional doses of any authorized COVID-19 vaccines. Read more about getting a COVID-19 third dose at Johns Hopkins Medicine."

This is the Johns Hopkins website with this information. I consider Johns Hopkins to be a reliable source......

COVID-19 Vaccination Guidance for Johns Hopkins Medicine Patients | Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Updates
My wife received her Moderna booster shot from Mayo, she is immunocompromised, I got mine from the VA after receiving a call from them to schedule an appointment. I also have immune system issues
Old 09-26-2021, 10:57 AM

All of this speculation about the Modern vaccine as well as testimony by many they've already received the booster goes to show this isn't a very organized or "official" undertaking. No one seems to know what's going on, doctor's are instructing patients to get boosters, pharmacies are giving boosters to the public even though they don't have authorization yet from the CDC/FDA because they don't want to throw away vaccines, etc. It's very disturbing. The CDC just overrode the FDA's recommendation for the Pfizer booster for only 65 and over and immune-compromised but that just happened a couple of days ago, yet I'm reading people have been getting boosters for weeks now.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
The answer is a wink and a nod to the pharmacist. No one is telling you you need to bring in a doctor's note and I know many people that have gotten the booster shot already from moderna
They either lied to the pharmacist, or the pharmacist is not following the guidelines...

SCIENCE!

-Tom Petty
Old 09-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Moderna and J&J are still authorized by CDC for "emergency" use.......which all of us who have the first two doses received.....with no FDA full approval.
See first paragraph in link below:

Get Vaccine Answers | How we know COVID-19 vaccines… | The Ad Council

The so called procedural approval process moves very slowly and inefficiently and influenced by special interest and other controlling groups.

The Moderna third dose is no less "approved" than the first two shots.....all doses are the same formulation and dosage!

The approval status is a well worn, misunderstood red herring!!!!
Moderna itself hasn't said you need a booster, unless you're immunocompromised...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
covid-19, moderna, johns, hopkins, received

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.