No more cashless businesses

Old 01-03-2024, 09:35 PM

Every time I read/hear about someone getting killed in a store robbery I think it wouldn’t have happened if it was cashless. SMH
Old 01-03-2024, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Convenience, efficiency and safety is what's behind it. Not some sinister government conspiracy. Most of the world is going cashless since it's antiquated to use cash for everything other than private transactions or flea markets when it's easier and more secure to just tap a card.

If someone steals credit cards you can cancel them within minutes. If someone steals your cash, you don't have much recourse.
Totally disagree on security. Any form of digital payment information can be stolen by some spineless and faceless computer geek sitting at a keyboard in a third world country. If someone wants to try and steal my cash, they will have to confront me face to face and try to pry it out of my hands. The security of all this digital stuff scares the crap out of me. I’m never scared when using cash.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
if it passes. I hope it does. I had to whip out a credit card to pay for a $1 bag of chips recently and it did not make me happy.

"Refusing cash payments could become illegal for most Florida businesses in 2024 under legislation sponsored by state Sen. Shevrin Jones, a Miami-Dade County Democrat, and state Rep. Joel Rudman, a Panhandle Republican."

Florida May Stop Businesses from Going Cashless
I would have just walked out.

It’s going to come eventually by feds, That way every penny can be tracked.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Agree, prefer using my phone to pay and more and more are starting to accept it. Cash is last resort.

You say that when you cash becomes cashless when some hacker wiped you out. Don’t say it guaranteed in cyberspace. Bitcoins good example.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:13 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
if it passes. I hope it does. I had to whip out a credit card to pay for a $1 bag of chips recently and it did not make me happy.

"Refusing cash payments could become illegal for most Florida businesses in 2024 under legislation sponsored by state Sen. Shevrin Jones, a Miami-Dade County Democrat, and state Rep. Joel Rudman, a Panhandle Republican."

Florida May Stop Businesses from Going Cashless
More complaints from the I-hate-change people! Personally, I hate cash! If a society goes cashless, you never have to worry about getting mugged on the street for your wallet. Pickpockets are out of work. Rob a store? Why? Armored cars? Don't need them. They don't have any cash. Steal a credit card? Who cares? The card companies always pick up on unusual charges and do not make you pay for the unauthorized charges. No more fumbling around for the right change: I hate being behind one of those people. No more mixed up crumpled wads of bills, over stuffed wallets, mistakenly giving out a twenty dollar bill instead of a 5 or 10, or running to the cash machine. You either use your debit card or better yet, like I do, use a credit card that earns you cash or redeemable whatever to pay for everything BUT always pay off the balance every month to avoid any interest. Cash will go the way of fossil fuels someday and I also would like to see a universal currency. If most of Europe can have a common currency then why not the world?

PS: I hate checks too! Let's ban them also!
Old 01-03-2024, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
More complaints from the I-hate-change people! Personally, I hate cash! If a society goes cashless, you never have to worry about getting mugged on the street for your wallet. Pickpockets are out of work. Rob a store? Why? Armored cars? Don't need them. They don't have any cash. Steal a credit card? Who cares? The card companies always pick up on unusual charges and do not make you pay for the unauthorized charges. No more fumbling around for the right change: I hate being behind one of those people. No more mixed up crumpled wads of bills, over stuffed wallets, mistakenly giving out a twenty dollar bill instead of a 5 or 10, or running to the cash machine. You either use your debit card or better yet, like I do, use a credit card that earns you cash or redeemable whatever to pay for everything BUT always pay off the balance every month to avoid any interest. Cash will go the way of fossil fuels someday and I also would like to see a universal currency. If most of Europe can have a common currency then why not the world?

PS: I hate checks too! Let's ban them also!
News flash fossil fuel will NEVER ago away, everything modern convince made from fossil fuel. Dollar use most of world not euro. But, wait few year the yen will take over. You can bet it won’t be euro.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
News flash fossil fuel will NEVER ago away, everything modern convince made from fossil fuel. Dollar use most of world not euro. But, wait few year the yen will take over. You can bet it won’t be euro.
Never say never. Fossil fuels are finite. Some day - if we continue to drill for them as we currently do, we will run out of them.

I mostly use GPay now, except at Walmart because their machines still don't accept tap-and-pay. I do like using cash though, because I like putting the change from transactions into a jar and rolling it all up when the jar's full, and spending it on "little luxuries" like a new moisturizer or a nice lunch.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Never say never. Fossil fuels are finite. Some day - if we continue to drill for them as we currently do, we will run out of them.

I mostly use GPay now, except at Walmart because their machines still don't accept tap-and-pay. I do like using cash though, because I like putting the change from transactions into a jar and rolling it all up when the jar's full, and spending it on "little luxuries" like a new moisturizer or a nice lunch.
I use coins to gamble with

Again fossil fuel (oil) will never go away, might reduce gasoline or diesel product, but every modern convenience made from or produced/refined from oil.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
I use coins to gamble with

Again fossil fuel (oil) will never go away, might reduce gasoline or diesel product, but every modern convenience made from or produced/refined from oil.
Again - fossil fuel (oil) is finite. The planet only has so much of it. Once we use it up, it's gone until the next ice age.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Yeah if they don't /have/ the change - small businesses can easily get stuck in that situation - then what? When there's a sign right on the cash register that says "we need singles!" and someone pays for their 89-cent candybar with a $5 bill - then the store should feel free to give the customer their change in penny rolls.
I'm not for or against cashless. However, our son lives in Brazil, and says it is great. The way he describes it is that it is not credit card driven but rather direct transfer from your bank account. Thereby bypasses the credit card charge .
Seems like several service stations now offer reduced prices if you pay direct from your account. He says all is done from a cell phone.

I do not yet trust technology so much that I want any direct access to my account by phone.

Also, seems like it opens the door for all kinds of spam messages.

Also, if all was done this way, it would seem to bypass those who don't have bank accounts or cell phones. Wow, am I dating myself.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Totally disagree on security. Any form of digital payment information can be stolen by some spineless and faceless computer geek sitting at a keyboard in a third world country. If someone wants to try and steal my cash, they will have to confront me face to face and try to pry it out of my hands. The security of all this digital stuff scares the crap out of me. I’m never scared when using cash.
So you don't have your life savings in a bank or investment account?

Unless you have your money locked in a safe in cash or in gold bars, your money is already all in digital form right now.

There's zero chance that anyone in a third world country is going to be able to hack our banking systems and drain everyone's money. There's more than enough safeguards in place for that. I work for one of the largest banks in the world. I'm not just passing on third hand information.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
I would have just walked out.

It’s going to come eventually by feds, That way every penny can be tracked.
Come on Mo. Admit it. Your just an old dinosaur!
Our days are done, our kids and grands rule the world now, and they love all the electronic stuff.
I must confess to liking it myself, and getting rid of cash is easier than I thought.
Had to learn to pay with my phone, but with all my banking online anyway, it was just a natural progression, the speed of transactions is a wonder, and the security is top hole.
No more traveling to bank or cash machines, everything I need to do is a click away.
Even my wife lets me carry my wallet again, as there is naff-all in it that cant be lost.
(I lost it once 45 years ago, and my lady never trusted me with it again.)
Join the 21st Century, it's fun.
All I have to remember is where I left my phone!
Old 01-04-2024, 05:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
Cashless is the way to go.
No that’s the way for more and more scammers.
I pay cash as much as I can
Old 01-04-2024, 05:44 AM
Veteran member

I'm afraid of the government hacking our bank accounts and freezing our assets. Not that I'm opposed to cashless, but it shouldn't be the only option. If you think it can't happen ask a Canadian trucker.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:56 AM
Default Cashless!

Quote:
Yeah if they don't /have/ the change - small businesses can easily get stuck in that situation - then what? When there's a sign right on the cash register that says "we need singles!" and someone pays for their 89-cent candybar with a $5 bill - then the store should feel free to give the customer their change in penny rolls.
I agree it is ironic that you can buy a head of lettuce with a click on your iPhone at Farmers Market, and restaurants complain and tack on a fee to cover processing! The part of your story that needs refining is to declare and share where you are finding $0.89 candy bars! I stopped paying for them when prices reached about $1.49!

Tags
state, businesses, sponsored, legislation, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.