No more Star Spangled Banner

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts
Default No more Star Spangled Banner

It looks like the Star Spangled Banner is next. An Op Ed in the LA Times says Francis Scott Key was a slave owner so the song has to go. After all, the statue of Francis Scott Key was toppled by protesters in Golden Gate Park.
Major League Soccer announced that the anthem would not be played before games when its season resumed in July following the coronavirus lockdown. A petition posted on Change.org advocated dropping the song as the national anthem, pointing to “elitist, sexist, and racist” verses in Key’s poem, “Defence of Fort M’Henry,” from which “The Star-Spangled Banner” was adapted.
Here's the Op Ed.
Replace The Star-Spangled Banner with a new national anthem - Los Angeles Times
Old 07-15-2020, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Going way too far. George Washington had slaves I believe. So do they change all the uses of Washington in the United States? George Washington and slavery - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
It looks like the Star Spangled Banner is next. An Op Ed in the LA Times says Francis Scott Key was a slave owner so the song has to go. After all, the statue of Francis Scott Key was toppled by protesters in Golden Gate Park.
Major League Soccer announced that the anthem would not be played before games when its season resumed in July following the coronavirus lockdown. A petition posted on Change.org advocated dropping the song as the national anthem, pointing to “elitist, sexist, and racist” verses in Key’s poem, “Defence of Fort M’Henry,” from which “The Star-Spangled Banner” was adapted.
Here's the Op Ed.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

I sure would not go to any game where they would not play our anthem.

Judge people according to the times they lived in not our time.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

I for one wouldn't miss it. It's a poorly-written song that is very difficult for most people to sing on key. It's not even a good poem. I'd love to see something new. I don't care who wrote it, it doesn't offend me in the least. It's just a bad song and I'd really hate to think that after over 200 years, that's the best we could do.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Bikeracer2009

I agree with orangeblossombaby. When I lived in NOVA I worked near the Pentagon and some of my employees worked inside the Pentagon. The area was very patriotic but also very diverse. I would like to see a more inclusive feel to our national anthem so everyone of all races feel it's their country too. Change is a scary thing but it doesn't have to be. The diversity I experienced gave me what I needed to feel good about change.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeracer2009 View Post
I agree with orangeblossombaby. When I lived in NOVA I worked near the Pentagon and some of my employees worked inside the Pentagon. The area was very patriotic but also very diverse. I would like to see a more inclusive feel to our national anthem so everyone of all races feel it's their country too. Change is a scary thing but it doesn't have to be. The diversity I experienced gave me what I needed to feel good about change.
Agree to disagree. Extreme unnecessary change is a scary thing and it should be. Implementation of our country's founding principles has not been perfect, obviously. But the principles are sound and apply to all citizens. I value traditions that celebrate them.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:53 AM
Veteran member

I think the next thing that should go is this whole cancel "culture".
Old 07-16-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Here's the Op Ed.
It will NEVER happen!
Old 07-16-2020, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Like this one? “Red, Brown, yellow, black, and white, all are precious in his sight.” Oh, wait, establishment of religion is not allowed.
Jesus Loves the Little Children (with Lyrics) - YouTube
Old 07-16-2020, 05:40 AM

A nice rap song would be nice before the game. Instead of taking our hats off, we could just turn them sideways.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
What exactly about the Star Spangled Banner is not inclusive? Why would any citizen of this country not feel that it's their country as well. Read up on the story of the Star Spangled Banner.

There is nothing remotely racist, sexist or exclusionary about it. It is about fortitude and strength. It is about how a group of people defending our country refused to give up. It is about the strength of the United States of America. All Americans should feel proud of this great country. We're not perfect and there have been some mistakes, but the good overwhelms the bad by a huge margin.

Battle of Fort McHenry Facts & Summary | American Battlefield Trust

The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 AM

This is the most ridiculous and nefarious idea I have ever heard. I came to America seeking freedom and I found it, but I am afraid our freedoms are being eroded by those who want to destroy her. We cannot allow these elements to destroy our beautiful country.

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves-Edward R. Murrow.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:30 AM

All are free to move to a country with an anthem they find more to their liking.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3D54BE75-9345-49DC-B1B9-D869C9130B0D.jpeg
Views:	3618
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	85272  
Old 07-16-2020, 06:31 AM
Default What’s next

Ok let’s stop and composes a new national anthem So what do we do when a new group does not like that one. Come on folks history is the past so you can study it and not make the same mistakes. Whites and blacks were slave owners. when is the majority going to stop being silent
Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 AM
Default Star Spangled Banner

Quote:
Here's the Op Ed.
Someone needs to apply the brakes to this runaway train.
Closed Thread

Tags
key, scott, francis, song, anthem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.