Orlando spent $20,000 and ALREADY it's defaced!

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Tax $$$$ ($20,000) spent by Orlando to join the Metro club with BLM street painting. Completed yesterday, paint barely dry - overnight...some folks had their graffiti fun. Now - who will pay for reparing and upkeep? hmm - tax payers perhaps? IMO this is yet another example of pandering by government. Couldn't those $$$ be spent on tangible efforts as in added education funding to needed areas? Imagine how much effort and tax $$$ will be spent now, after the grafitti continues on and on... grrrr.

yesterday's news>>>>

Orlando joins other cities with ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural in downtown

Surely you’ve seen the major US cities who’ve painted giant ‘Black Lives Matter’ murals painted on streets there to support the growing protests calling for criminal justice reform across the country.

Now, Orlando joins that list of cities that started with Washington, D.C., and includes Seattle, Austin and New York.

The stencil work on the Orlando mural began Thursday and the city says they’ll have the painting completed by Saturday morning.

The mural is being painted on Rosalind Avenue in front of Lake Eola Park near the Disney Amphitheater.

today's news>>>

News 96.5 - WDBO
46 mins ·
BREAKING: Black Lives Matter mural vandalized overnight. Crews hadn’t yet sealed the painting after it was applied yesterday.

...oh BTW - the "defacing" certainly appears to be by the "PRO BLM" folks - not those that may be "anti"...
Why was the money originally wasted to have this painted? Just more pandering. They want to graffitti it, well, now repave the road and just cover the whole thing. Why spend more money on uncivilized people who dont care about anything except destruction
Old 06-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

We are looking so much like a 3rd world country. Glad I don't live in any of these God forsaken areas.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It looks more to me like a bunch of kids who didn't ever get to learn civics in school, decided it'd be a "funny prank" to deface a serious message. The handwriting is what gives it away - that's not the writing of a graffiti artist, it's the writing of a 14-year-old brat.
I don't see the issue. It's just graffiti (by a 14 year old as you put it) on top of graffiti by adults. Put all the streets back to black pavement. Why wouldn't the blacks want all black streets?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:53 AM

Defacing public property should not be limited only to persons of one political persuasion. So deface away. Free speech applies to all.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

It's DISGUSTING !!

It's disgusting that the taxpayers had to pay for the BLM sign to begin with.
It's disgusting that idiots had to deface it.

There should be a $1,000. fine for anyone caught putting graffiti on public property along with 400 hours of public service (removing graffiti).

People have been brainwashed into going out of their way so as NOT to offend anyone. If we all did that, we'd end up standing around like statues (doing nothing).

I'm offended by all of this BS going on. It appears that anyone who is considered a minority (race, religion or sexual preference) is "entitled" to special treatment, and wants special "status" -- while the average person is either ignored or crapped all over.

Like I said : It's disgusting.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 AM

Orlando wasted $20,000 on nonsense
Politicians need to personally reimburse tax payers for this and pay additional to clean up the mess
Putting up political signs at tax payer expense is corruption!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:35 AM

I wonder who is behind this and where is the money coming from to destroy beautiful murals, statues. What is the mix of people in BLM I believe it’s coming from philanthropy groups those folks that believe in Communism. Black people are mostly very good citizens and we as a nation have to provide programs, education to give them a better understand of the world. Look at Dr Carson, Charles Payne, Fox, Martin Luther King and other wonderful leaders that I love & respect. I came to this country, no close family here, with $50 in my pocket and I made it. It was a struggle but had no money to go home. Please keep peace in our nation
Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
I wonder who is behind this and where is the money coming from to destroy beautiful murals, statues. What is the mix of people in BLM I believe it’s coming from philanthropy groups those folks that believe in Communism. Black people are mostly very good citizens and we as a nation have to provide programs, education to give them a better understand of the world. Look at Dr Carson, Charles Payne, Fox, Martin Luther King and other wonderful leaders that I love & respect. I came to this country, no close family here, with $50 in my pocket and I made it. It was a struggle but had no money to go home. Please keep peace in our nation
You ask good questions. You are correct, imo, about the good character of most black citizens. And, you are correct, again imo, about the need to provide programs and education as a means to taking charge of their own lives and improving their situation. And I agree with the idea of respect for all that try to peacefully make us a better, more inclusive nation.
You came to the U. S., presumably, to make a better life and succeeded through hard, honest work. You should be an example for ALL people.
I applaud and agree with you plea to "keep peace in our nation".
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Peace!
Old 06-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Good!!!! it shouldn't have been done anyway---the street does not belong to the residents and that was defacing public/city property--clean it up totally!!! Enough is enough already!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2020, 10:02 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

Regardless or "defaced" or "enhanced", it is public, tax paid property and the painters do not have a right. Buddy Dyer apparently is OK with it.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

They are in the "BLAME GAME" ---- not the "FIX GAME".

Reminds me when I was young - easier to say..."Not my fault, Jimmy made me do it".
And some Millennials "Pay our student loan debt, Not my fault".
And some Seniors we see around in stores etc "I'm not wearing a mask, it's a hoax".

...and sometimes me - "I'm not going on the treadmill today, back hurts a bit".

We ALL fall prey to the Blame Game - but this one - impacting so many citizens in our country... horrible.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hope the defacing will prevent other cities from wasting money on BLM signs, murals, etc.
Totally agree. All this trying to pander to the black people is a waste of money. They have been "given" so much over the past decades and that should tell someone that's not the answer to this huge problem.

The big answer is that so many of these homes have no father to help raise these kids, guide them, teach them right from wrong, teach them respect for others and for the law, and make sure they get educated.

Also many parents are too easy on their kids. I bet the majority don't even know their kids are at these protests and putting themselves in harm's way night after night. The protestors ignorance also shows in the statues they keep trying to pull down. First of all it's part of history and if you don't like the past, then work to change it for the future. Destroying public property does nothing to help and any of them should be arrested and prosecuted.

Throwing money at the problem never fixes it. The politicians should also quit kneeling to the blacks. They don't need them kneeling, they need to actually do something to help this situation. It's never going to end at the rate we are going.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:18 PM

Does Orlando realize that BLM is a Marxist organization. I bet not. I would bet they didn't bother to research who they are dealing with.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

of course they realize it.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default Might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
One person's defaced might be another person's enhanced. The message of the original art was that Black Lives Matter, the message of the enhancements was that words are not enough they need to be matched by changes in the policing of the community.
"One person's defaced might be another person's enhanced" could be correct, but who gets to make that call? If someone splattered your home with racist graffiti would you consider it enhanced or defaced?
As to the "changes in the policing", do they need to be matched by changes in how the members of the community relate to and work WITH the police?
Neither side is without responsibility. Neither side is perfect. While the police need to work on cleaning up their act on the streets, the community needs to make changes at home, like not instilling in the minds of their young that they are automatically victims, all police are out to get you for no reason, you have no hope. This not only applies to one group, it applies to all poor and disadvantaged.
There is nothing as sad as a child, any child, that has it drummed into their head that there is no hope. I pray for the children, all the children.
Stay safe. Stay well. Peace!
Closed Thread

Tags
orlando, mural, spent, painting, painted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.