People are using short-term rentals to throw unruly parties

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,297 Times in 5,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
So are you trying to say "as long as it doesn't affect me directly it's not an issue"?
What I posted was merely an observation. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Why would young adults under 30 come to the Villages to rent, at all? There's nothing for them to do...
Why do you constantly challenge reality?

They do come here, baby.

Arguing about the "whys" is pointless until you accept the fact that there are short-term rental problems.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

"unruly parties?"
Question: what is the RULE on parties?
Old 07-13-2023, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
What I posted was merely an observation. Nothing more nothing less.
For me, it is a relief knowing that some areas of the villages are unaffected by a barrage of short-term rentals. I can confidently move into those neighborhoods and leave this mess I have living very near to a town square.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,297 Times in 5,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
For me, it is a relief knowing that some areas of the villages are unaffected by a barrage of short-term rentals. I can confidently move into those neighborhoods and leave this mess I have living very near to a town square.
When we have no plans to go out will go walking around our neighborhood and so very quiet after say 8 pm.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
I’m still shocked that anyone of any age can buy a home in TV. So of course you’re going to get investors, flippers, those looking to rent the home and never occupy it, etc. Did TV change their convenants or has it always been this way? In the past, with other age restricted communities like Sun City, financing was not allowed using VA loans because of this restriction. You had to be at least 55 to purchase a home.
Your understanding is incorrect. You have never needed to be at least 55 to purchase a home in the Villages. Anyone who is legally allowed to sign an agreement (typically 18 or older, but could be an emancipated 16-year-old) is allowed to purchase a home in The Villages. They can't LIVE there full time until they're 19. And even then, 80% of those homes have to have at least one person living in it who's 55 or older. So a 60-year-old couple with a 19-year-old grandson and a 21-year-old granddaughter can absolutely live in the Villages together. There is, and has never been, any rule against it.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodyssey View Post
Why do you constantly challenge reality?

They do come here, baby.

Arguing about the "whys" is pointless until you accept the fact that there are short-term rental problems.
I know there are short-term rental problems. There's one home in my area that is a short-term rental problem. I've never said otherwise. The tenants aren't kids though.

I'm asking why because I want to know why. I'm not arguing the why. I'm asking why. Check your attitude. I'm not your baby.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
I know there are short-term rental problems. There's one home in my area that is a short-term rental problem. I've never said otherwise. The tenants aren't kids though.

I'm asking why because I want to know why. I'm not arguing the why. I'm asking why. Check your attitude. I'm not your baby.
Check your attitude, your TOTV name is orange blossom baby. They just shortened it.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,629 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
I’m still shocked that anyone of any age can buy a home in TV. So of course you’re going to get investors, flippers, those looking to rent the home and never occupy it, etc. Did TV change their convenants or has it always been this way? In the past, with other age restricted communities like Sun City, financing was not allowed using VA loans because of this restriction. You had to be at least 55 to purchase a home.
The 20% rule has always been on the books for anyone under 55
Old 07-13-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
I don’t want to agree but…..absentee landlords who cater to short term weekly B&B tenants???? I wouldn’t consider those villa owners to be good neighbors so why not report them when things get out of hand?? The Villages has programs for those wanting to test the waters here.
But they don’t answer my emails! Now I know I can call them but I didn’t know that back when I called the rental company.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Your understanding is incorrect. You have never needed to be at least 55 to purchase a home in the Villages. Anyone who is legally allowed to sign an agreement (typically 18 or older, but could be an emancipated 16-year-old) is allowed to purchase a home in The Villages. They can't LIVE there full time until they're 19. And even then, 80% of those homes have to have at least one person living in it who's 55 or older. So a 60-year-old couple with a 19-year-old grandson and a 21-year-old granddaughter can absolutely live in the Villages together. There is, and has never been, any rule against it.
Then why is it considered a senior retirement community? I feel I was misled
Old 07-14-2023, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Then why is it considered a senior retirement community? I feel I was misled
This is what is written in the deed restrictions which are not worth the paper they are printed on

The Developer or its designee in its sole discretion
shall have the right to establish hardship exceptions to permit individuals between the ages of nineteen (I 9) and fifty-
five (55) to permanently reside in a Home even though there is not a permanent resident in the Home who is fifty-
five (55) years of age or over, providing that said exceptions shall not be permitted in situations where the granting
of a hardship exception would result in less than 80% of the Homesites in the Subdivision having less than one
resident fifty-five (55) years of age or older, it being the intent that at least 80% of the units shall at all times have
at least one resident fifty-five (55) years of age or older.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,520 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
This is what is written in the deed restrictions which are not worth the paper they are printed on

The Developer or its designee in its sole discretion
shall have the right to establish hardship exceptions to permit individuals between the ages of nineteen (I 9) and fifty-
five (55) to permanently reside in a Home even though there is not a permanent resident in the Home who is fifty-
five (55) years of age or over, providing that said exceptions shall not be permitted in situations where the granting
of a hardship exception would result in less than 80% of the Homesites in the Subdivision having less than one
resident fifty-five (55) years of age or older, it being the intent that at least 80% of the units shall at all times have
at least one resident fifty-five (55) years of age or older.
Do you have some evidence that this is NOT being followed, either permanent residents under 19 or fewer than 80% of occupied homes having one resident over 55? Daily or weekly rentals don't apply, it takes more than a few days of presence to be considered a resident.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-14-2023, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Do you have some evidence that this is NOT being followed, either permanent residents under 19 or fewer than 80% of occupied homes having one resident over 55? Daily or weekly rentals don't apply, it takes more than a few days of presence to be considered a resident.
Daily or weekly rentals are the problem. They are the direct opposite of the definition of a retirement community.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,520 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Daily or weekly rentals are the problem. They are the direct opposite of the definition of a retirement community.
I disagree, the Villages seems to disagree, Florida law seems to disagree, and HUD seems to disagree. Besides that, daily or weekly rentals have nothing to do with the section of the restrictions that you posted.

Do you have some proof that those restrictions are not being followed or are you just throwing things against a wall to see what might stick?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
parties, rentals, enforcing, ccds, residence

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.