Police are human beings

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2020, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,791 Times in 5,285 Posts
Default Police are human beings

Suppose a black man grows up in a good family, gets a good education, gets a good job, gets married, and has a few children. He never breaks the law, never gets arrested, and is a good family man. One day, he is pulled over by a white police officer and is not treated in the same way that the police officer would normally treat a white man. But, the black man obeys the police, shows his valid license and registration, and is eventually released, even though he feels like he should have been treated with more respect. Who should he blame? The police officer because he is obviously a racist? Maybe. But, how about placing at least some of the blame on the disproportionate number of black men who did not follow the same law abiding course in life, and had some influence on the police officer's perception about life. Police officers are supposed to follow a standard procedure, but they are only human.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,378 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Suppose a black man grows up in a good family, gets a good education, gets a good job, gets married, and has a few children. He never breaks the law, never gets arrested, and is a good family man. One day, he is pulled over by a white police officer and is not treated in the same way that the police officer would normally treat a white man. But, the black man obeys the police, shows his valid license and registration, and is eventually released, even though he feels like he should have been treated with more respect. Who should he blame? The police officer because he is obviously a racist? Maybe. But, how about placing at least some of the blame on the disproportionate number of black men who did not follow the same law abiding course in life, and had some influence on the police officer's perception about life. Police officers are supposed to follow a standard procedure, but they are only human.
I agree. People are so judgmental without knowing all the facts. There is no more innocent until proven guilty just guilty by social media.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,154 Times in 5,381 Posts

Lot of truth in what you say.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

We are all human beings.

This whole mess is making me beyond sick and it is being used to collapse what we know as a democracy.

The violent and destructive behavior out there is vile and is to be condemned, not encouraged for ulterior motives as is happening right under our noses.

Remember this? (Some 8th grade teacher might have made you memorize it):

. . ."our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure."

Years before Lincoln gave that speech, Ben Franklin said, "We have given you a republic -- if you can keep it."

(Haunting words -- here we are.)

Do not categorize me so you can dismiss me. Please read on:

In my family there are two police officers, both women. One is my age so she is retired. She was the first female officer in her city so she often had to face down the territory that came with that. The other one is young. I respect and admire her -- and I worry about about her. I think police work is often a calling -- like it is for truly dedicated teachers and nurses. But I have to wonder how long it will be before we have very few who will want to answer any of those callings.

Our country is starting to look like Oceania, the country in Orwell's dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. In the book the government made sure the Proles were saturated with violence, brought to them on screens, to keep them in a constant state of anger and fear in order to control and rule over them.

And now, in real life, not a novel -- the times -- they are Orwellian.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-05-2020 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-04-2020, 07:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Just for a moment, imagine what police must deal with on a daily basis. There are people out there that resist arrest, don't follow instructions. Walk away from the police and reach into their vehicle. The cops have a split second to make a decision on deadly force. The media, and the looter/protesters don't care about this!
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 PM
John41

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Not really racism, profiling based on history.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:44 PM
John41

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Not racism just profiling based on history and experience. Totally understandable.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Given your ridiculous scenario, I totally blame the cop. Here is a law abiding citizen who is mistreated by someone who is sworn to protect him because he can't see beyond skin color. Then give up your badge and become a commenter on TOTV. The cop is given special rights and special protection and special treatment and special honors and is still a racist in your scenario.

All of you who say this is just fine, it is human nature are exactly the same people who claim there is not such thing as white privilege. Yet you are presented a simple clear example of white privilege and defend it, even think it is completely reasonable. After all, those blacks are criminals and thugs and rapists and murderers and druggies and so they and anyone who shares their skin color deserves what they get.

Even if the driver in your little thought experiment is a former convicted felon he deserves to be treated with respect and exactly the same as any lily white driver unless he is at the time he is stopped committing a crime. Period.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
We are all human beings.

This whole mess is making me beyond sick and it is being used to collapse what we know as a democracy.

The violence and destruction out there is vile and is to be condemned, not encouraged for ulterior motives as is happening right under our noses.

Remember this? (Some 8th grade teacher might have made you memorize it):

. . ."our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure."

Years before Lincoln gave that speech, Ben Franklin said, "We have given you a republic -- if you can keep it."

(Haunting words -- here we are.)

Do not categorize me so you can dismiss me. Please read on:

In my family there are two police officers, both women. One is my age so she is retired. She was the first female officer in her city so she often had to face down the territory that came with that. The other one is young. I respect and admire her -- and I worry about about her. I think police work is often a calling -- like it is for truly dedicated teachers and nurses. But I have to wonder how long it will be before we have very few who will want to answer any of those callings.

Our country is starting to look like Oceania, the country in Orwell's dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. In the book the government made sure the Proles were saturated with violence, brought to them on screens, to keep them in a constant state of anger and fear in order to control and rule over them.

And now, in real life, not a novel -- the times -- they are Orwellian.

Boomer
I am 81 years old, fought for my country, and as news developed the last 24 hours and became legit, I literally had tears in my eyes.

You are correct with your book comparison.

Sleeping will be difficult tonight. No control any more
Old 09-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,345 Times in 2,067 Posts

It does depend somewhat on where you are a law enforcement officer. There are parts of NYC that would be a whole lot safer than other parts. Parts of Los Angeles that are a lot safer than other parts. And most of the parts of the Villages are a great deal safer than probably any place in NYC, Los Angeles or many other cities.

There was/is a retired cop from the South Side of Chicago in our neighborhood of the Villages and he probably had to adapt his reactions to his immediate environment a great deal after retiring and then moving to the Villages.

I have met law enforcement officers from many different parts of the country in the fifteen years we have been here in the Villages and all of them have different stories depending on where they lived and what kind of law enforcement they did.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-04-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:45 AM

I’ve never been referred to as ‘Lilly White.’
Old 09-05-2020, 04:53 AM

Well said!
Old 09-05-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Given your ridiculous scenario, I totally blame the cop. Here is a law abiding citizen who is mistreated by someone who is sworn to protect him because he can't see beyond skin color. Then give up your badge and become a commenter on TOTV. The cop is given special rights and special protection and special treatment and special honors and is still a racist in your scenario.

All of you who say this is just fine, it is human nature are exactly the same people who claim there is not such thing as white privilege. Yet you are presented a simple clear example of white privilege and defend it, even think it is completely reasonable. After all, those blacks are criminals and thugs and rapists and murderers and druggies and so they and anyone who shares their skin color deserves what they get.

Even if the driver in your little thought experiment is a former convicted felon he deserves to be treated with respect and exactly the same as any lily white driver unless he is at the time he is stopped committing a crime. Period.
If you are stopped by the police for a traffic violation, do this:

1- Don't admit to anything.
2- Keep Your mouth shut. Don't argue. Obey his/her instructions and be respectful
3- Keep your hands on the wheel
4- Turn off the engine
5- If at night, turn the cabin lights on.
Go to court if you don't agree with the officer. It's better than going to jail.

How hard is that?
Old 09-05-2020, 05:19 AM

Are you saying that being a racist is justifiable and acceptable behavior? Gee, I hope not
Old 09-05-2020, 05:20 AM

Amen!!! Blue lives matter!!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
police, good, man, black, officer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.