Police are human beings

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Given your ridiculous scenario, I totally blame the cop. Here is a law abiding citizen who is mistreated by someone who is sworn to protect him because he can't see beyond skin color. Then give up your badge and become a commenter on TOTV. The cop is given special rights and special protection and special treatment and special honors and is still a racist in your scenario.

All of you who say this is just fine, it is human nature are exactly the same people who claim there is not such thing as white privilege. Yet you are presented a simple clear example of white privilege and defend it, even think it is completely reasonable. After all, those blacks are criminals and thugs and rapists and murderers and druggies and so they and anyone who shares their skin color deserves what they get.

Even if the driver in your little thought experiment is a former convicted felon he deserves to be treated with respect and exactly the same as any lily white driver unless he is at the time he is stopped committing a crime. Period.
Very thoughtful. Kudos!
Old 09-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I am 81 years old, fought for my country, and as news developed the last 24 hours and became legit, I literally had tears in my eyes.

You are correct with your book comparison.

Sleeping will be difficult tonight. No control any more
Thank you for your service. Hang in there - Abe Lincoln said that you can NOT fool ALL of the people All of the time. sorry to repeat the obvious - but if not NOW, then when.
......as some great past Chinese Philosophy once said, " and THIS too shall PASS".
Old 09-05-2020, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Suppose a black man grows up in a good family, gets a good education, gets a good job, gets married, and has a few children. He never breaks the law, never gets arrested, and is a good family man. One day, he is pulled over by a white police officer and is not treated in the same way that the police officer would normally treat a white man. But, the black man obeys the police, shows his valid license and registration, and is eventually released, even though he feels like he should have been treated with more respect. Who should he blame? The police officer because he is obviously a racist? Maybe. But, how about placing at least some of the blame on the disproportionate number of black men who did not follow the same law abiding course in life, and had some influence on the police officer's perception about life. Police officers are supposed to follow a standard procedure, but they are only human.
No excuses. One puts on the uniform, assumes the responsibility and mist live up to it, or get out of the job. Substandard performance is not tolerable under any circumstance. End of discussion.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
No excuses. One puts on the uniform, assumes the responsibility and mist live up to it, or get out of the job. Substandard performance is not tolerable under any circumstance. End of discussion.
I agree, you know when you join the military they make you strip down and show all your tattoos, if you have any offensive tattoos Nazi symbols etc... They reject you or make you get the tattoo removed. They should do the same for all police officers.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
"Only human" is not an excuse for a police officer being a rascist. Perhaps more education than a hs diploma, more than several months of police academy training, and better background and family checks to weed out a rascist upbringing, will allow better decisions to be made by the police.
So reading bunch of books and passing test makes difference? I can read about dipstick‘S, pass test about dis-stick. But can’t fine it under the hood, let alone know how to properly check and read it. That comes from skill not from readiing about it.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
i have a beard, i'm a male, white, and i get pulled over because i look suspicious. I did not commit any crimes. Blacks commit 70% of all crimes, just figure the odds. There is a 70% chance you might have stopped someone that commited a crime??
What you mean is that 13.4% of the population of America is black and 30% of the arrests in America are of minorities. So, actually 70% of the arrests are white which are 76.4% of the population.

Another poster quoted a 2013 chart so:

One fact checker states:
"In 2013, the FBI has black criminals carrying out 38 per cent of murders, compared to 31.1 per cent for whites. The offender’s race was “unknown” in 29.1 per cent of cases."
"...93 per cent of black victims were killed by blacks and 84 per cent of white victims were killed by whites."

I could use more facts, but to generalize minorities commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes in America as compared to their population ratio to whites. Surely, our liberal friends do not excuse violence based on a perception of racism.

There is no systemic racism in America. There is some racism, but we have come a long way since REAL lynching style racism. The only answer to racism is ASSIMILATION. Once folks realize that we have an American culture and stop attempting to be separatist and insisting on their own individual cultures borrowed from other countries, Americans will become blind to skin color and accents.

Per the subject of this thread, COPS are our line of defense against anarchy in this country. Now, city leaders are removing that factor by putting governors on them and tying their hands behind their backs. COPs are not inherently racists. Racism is only a tool of those wishing for monetary gain derived from a fabricated perception of police racism. Booker T. Washington was so right and must have seen the future when he said:
“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”
Old 09-05-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So reading bunch of books and passing test makes difference? I can read about dipstick‘S, pass test about dis-stick. But can’t fine it under the hood, let alone know how to properly check and read it. That comes from skill not from readiing about it.
Didn't the recent administration just remove educational requirements for Federal Government jobs. Now the administration is removing all training for employees to identify racial biases. Kinda see where this is going
Old 09-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
Watch LivePD on A&E Friday’s and Saturday’s at 9 PM. They have Live cameraman riders with police patrols across the country. You will see what a cop has to go through with all kinds of people from domestic arguments to hard and dangerous criminals. This is not scripted nor staged. You will have tremendously more respect for the police.
Live PD has been cancelled by A&E. Are they airing reruns?
Old 09-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Good point. It’s a bit like what happens when someone picking romaine lettuce in the San Joaquin Valley of California has to relieve himself, has diarrhea, but has no hand washing facilities, and a few dozen heads get contaminated with e-coli. Someone in New Jersey gets very sick, and the culprit turns out to one of the few dozen bad heads, grown in one field. But then many thousands of bags from that company and field are pulled off the shelves and destroyed. The news reaches consumers by television, and millions of people not only throw away all the romaine lettuce in their refrigerators, even from other companies, and even from other states, but stop buying romaine for a month, a year, forever. That seems really silly. (But I still get nervous in the face of a Caesar salad after the outbreak several years ago.) But meanwhile, government inspectors from the Department of Agriculture or wherever are grabbing more heads of romaine in the packing plants and testing it. Store owners may decide to keep it off the shelves. All romaine is suspected, just because of a couple dozen heads grown in one field out of a hundred million from around the country, with no more outbreaks.

Now, what if it’s not one head in ten million, or one in a million, or one head in a thousand, or one in a hundred, or one in ten, but 28.5%? If nearly three out of ten heads of male romaine lettuce was likely to be contaminated, the inspectors would be very careful to examine and test the male heads thoroughly, simply because they are more likely to make people sick. If 28.5% of male romaine can harm you, but only 4.4% of male iceberg lettuce, you would probably want all lettuce destroyed, period. But meanwhile, you’d expect inspectors to be checking the heads of romaine even more carefully. It’s just common sense, for the public welfare. Maybe even every head of all lettuces should be tested. That would be expensive, but if it’s necessary, so it goes.

What if someone gave you tickets to some event, say a real football game, with 50,000 people in the stands. Would you go if you knew there were ten COVID-19 positive people there? How about 500 (1%)? How about if there were 2,200 COVID-19 positive people in the stands (4.4%). What if it were 28.5% COVID-19 positive, nearly a third? Would you want everyone tested? I would. If fans wearing home team paraphernalia were 28.5% likely to be positive or become positive, wouldn’t you expect extra attention to be paid to testing the home team fans? Wouldn’t you hope you are sitting among the away team fans (not that that would be safe, either). Testing like that makes everyone safer, whatever their favorite team.
What I came away with from your post..........I did not realize there are male and female heads of lettuce.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Live PD has been cancelled by A&E.
Are they airing reruns?
Anyone who watched LivePD quickly realized that the officers would go to specific areas, kinda like fishermen finding a fishing hole, these cops would find a fishing hole and sit there waiting for a fish to get on the line, then "act" for the camera as they made some BS charges. It's easy to find people breaking the law, even in the Villages, put a Sheriff at every country club with a film crew, trust me you'll find plenty of offenses and lots of great television
Old 09-05-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
What you mean is that 13.4% of the population of America is black and 30% of the arrests in America are of minorities. So, actually 70% of the arrests are white which are 76.4% of the population.

Another poster quoted a 2013 chart so:

One fact checker states:
"In 2013, the FBI has black criminals carrying out 38 per cent of murders, compared to 31.1 per cent for whites. The offender’s race was “unknown” in 29.1 per cent of cases."
"...93 per cent of black victims were killed by blacks and 84 per cent of white victims were killed by whites."

I could use more facts, but to generalize minorities commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes in America as compared to their population ratio to whites. Surely, our liberal friends do not excuse violence based on a perception of racism.

There is no systemic racism in America. There is some racism, but we have come a long way since REAL lynching style racism. The only answer to racism is ASSIMILATION. Once folks realize that we have an American culture and stop attempting to be separatist and insisting on their own individual cultures borrowed from other countries, Americans will become blind to skin color and accents.

Per the subject of this thread, COPS are our line of defense against anarchy in this country. Now, city leaders are removing that factor by putting governors on them and tying their hands behind their backs. COPs are not inherently racists. Racism is only a tool of those wishing for monetary gain derived from a fabricated perception of police racism. Booker T. Washington was so right and must have seen the future when he said:
“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”
There is absolutely, 100 percent, no doubt, systemic racism in America. BTW nobody in America uses the word "coloured"!
Old 09-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
You are, of course, exactly right, but this is the villages, home to 100k+ white privileged (don’t read rich or hard working) elders. I was taught to respect authority, although the 60s did influence that. Police, like most, are very fine individuals. Unfortunately, most now come from brief stints in the military with combat training. Many have a desire to wear a uniform, shoot a gun and feel more superior than their position warrants. This attitude is encouraged by training and culture (the blue line).

We are racists. Some more than others, but racist nonetheless. Just a few days ago, a mentor at the charter school was walking around the school waiting for her student to be let out. Sure enough, the police showed up demanding to know her reason for being there.

A few years ago, my Johns Hopkins educated son-in-law, a world class triathlete, was training in our village. A neighbor warned me noting that he had called the SCSO asking for increased patrols. Oh yes, my son-in-law’s family hails from Barbados and thus is dark skinned.

If all you watched were Fox News, you would believe there is only rioting and looting. The truth is almost all local demonstrators are peaceful. Those few agitators should obviously be the subject of police action, but repeatedly the law and order mentality, with all the training and firepower takes over.

Finally, the tragic death of a black man just released from the hospital naked on the streets was not treated like the mentally disturbed person he was but like some wild, vicious animal. Despite having been subdued and handcuffed, he was hooded, his head pressed against the pavement. It is exactly for these interactions that the poorly named Defund Police movement is designed to address. Trained social workers rather than trained police would have gandered this encounter differently.

Let’s support law enforcement while not tolerating police abuse of power. We can do both.
That is correct about many things, Mr. 72. It is unfortunate that the "defund the Police" slogan was initially started as a rally cry. The thing to do is to improve the Police by lowering the power of Police unions and not allowing the "BAD" cops to just relocate to another city or state. Police are better trained in Europe and they have MUCH greater success in deescalating situations. I continue to believe that Police should carry one pistol with lead bullets and one with rubber bullets (it could be made lightweight). Mr Blake could have been shot and brought to his knees by a RUBBER bullet hitting him as he came around the front of his car. Why not experiment with the carry of rubber bullets? It could POTENTIALLY de-esculate Many, Many situations. And as a famous person once said, "What have you got to lose?"
Old 09-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

I find it very interesting how people view this issue in totally different ways. I look at it in a more primitive manner. Human beings are not much different from other animals, except they are more intelligent. But, do you really believe that humans are that much different from other animals when it comes to their behavior based on experience? It seems as though some people think humans can just ignore their experiences and their prejudices, and change their behavior because society passes a law against discrimination? I don't think so. How long would the human race have survived if their behavior was constantly being controlled by these kinds of laws? You cannot regulate how people think. We could replace police officers with robots and program them to ignore skin color and other factors, but I don't think they would be very good at law enforcement.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLiberal View Post
There is absolutely, 100 percent, no doubt, systemic racism in America. BTW nobody in America uses the word "coloured"!
In case you didn't comprehend the quote or just didn't completely read it, I quoted from Booker T Washington. I'm pretty sure he was an American. Since I copied the quote from the Internet, it could be in error. If you find a more accurate quote, perhaps you can share it?
And there is no direct evidence that "racism" is systemic in America, regardless of someone's theory.

Tags
police, good, man, black, officer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.