Pulse

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2023, 03:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Repeat offenders should lose their right to having a bail bondsman bail them out again. And increased bail for subsequent arrests. If they're innocent, they wouldn't be caught stealing /again./ Or beating their wife /again./ Or cutting down /another/ tree on their neighbor's lawn. And so on.
How about changing the parole system, a prison sentence is always shortened considerably by not causing too many problems when "inside" if released with out serving the full term and are convicted of another crime you first serve out the good time from previous conviction , no "good time" then start on your new sentence with a reduction of any "good time " that a first time offender would be eligible for.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:15 AM

Agree with you. First of all; this is in Orlando. If they don't want to spend their tax dollars on a memorial, then that's their call (but I haven't heard that). Second; why does it bother anyone that a "memorial" is established? It certainly would give some measure of comfort to the families and witnesses of the horrific act.

Geez folks, why are you so negative about it?
Old 10-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

A public memorial? I think that most of the "public" could give a hoot about it. In a few years, hardly anyone will remember it (excepting the families who had members involved). Kind of like the Coconut Grove fire in the 40's or the Station fire more than 20 years ago.
Money should be spent on things that benefit people ...... not memorials that really do nothing for anybody.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:57 AM

Good idea for the gay community of Orlando to have a place they pay for if they want to remember them.. I’ve driven past the place countless times it needs to be demolished period
Old 10-30-2023, 09:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Money should be spent on things that benefit people ...... not memorials that really do nothing for anybody.
I agree. Build a low cost clinic or food bank, or such in their honor.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'm not sure public funds should be used either. But I have another pet peeve about how this monument is being described. While this mass shooting was a tragedy, I'm not sure that a monument should be erected to "honor" the victims. Honor the firefighters who rushed into the WTC on 9/11 and died. Honor the thousands that died on the beaches of Normandy defending our country. But "honor" people who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? What "honorable" thing did they do? I think "remember" or "memorialize" are much better terms for these victims.
I find your comments to be disrespectful and offensive
Old 10-30-2023, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

List of mass shootings in the United States (1900–1999 - Wikipedia)
Mass Shootings in the US: See 37 Years in One Chart | Time

198: Total Americans killed in mass shootings in the 50 years from 1920 to 1979
225: Total Americans killed in mass shootings in the 20 years from 1980 to 1999
715: Total Americans killed in mass shootings in the 20 years from 2000 to 2021

Hmmmmm.... It's almost like something changed in the 70's -- and then changed even worse in the '00's. What could it be?
Maybe this? Deinstitutionalisation - Wikipedia
Or this? Defund the police - Wikipedia

Keeping lunatics in asylums and killers in jail seemed to work pretty well. Instead of raising monuments to the dead for the amusement of lunatics and killers, how about we try putting them away again?
Closed Thread

Tags
pulse, opf, monument, compensation, public

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.