WHAT? Now "DIXIE" is a BAD/RACIST WORD?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2020, 07:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default WHAT? Now "DIXIE" is a BAD/RACIST WORD?

Really? When will this stuff end? What would this solve? Who would pay for re-branding etc? Are you as tired of this as I am???

WINN-DIXIE SUPERMARKETS
CONSIDER CHANGING 95-YEAR-OLD NAME ...
After George Floyd's Death

One of the largest supermarket chains based in the Southeast is considering dropping its name after nearly 100 years ... a move triggered by the death of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Sources at Winn-Dixie tell TMZ ... the supermarket chain -- billed as a southern heritage brand serving Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi -- is considering changing its name because, just like The Chicks, it deems the term "Dixie" as problematic due to ties to the old south and its way of thinking.

The Dixie Chicks Changed Their Name Because The Word 'Dixie' Is Problematic
They're now simply "The Chicks."

Access Denied
TMZ report: Winn-Dixie considering new name | Jax Daily Record | Jacksonville Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida
Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Old 06-26-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

ya had to know that this was coming....
Old 06-26-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Unfortunately not a new "thing".

Last year, Dolly Parton's theme park called Dixie Stampede was changed to Dolly Parton's Stampeded because it was supposedly insensitive to some.

I would have never ever have guessed she would succumb to such minority and special interest complaining.

The majority loses another one....and will be ongoing as long as we continue to allow it!!!!
Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

This is getting more absurd by the day
Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Just downright ridiculous. Stop the madness!!!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

I said this in another thread but I have no idea which thread it was.......

What about Dixie Land music? Is that name going to be changed? This is getting beyond ridiculous!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

250 years of oppression, I can't imagine why it's offensive. (since people can't tell, I'm being sarcastic!)
Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

Well to the surprise of almost no one, the TMZ article was incorrect (aka fake news). According to the chain's spokesman Joe Caldwell, they have no plans to change their name and hadn't been considering it. He did say his company is supported of BLM, and against racism, and would always serve the needs of its communities. So it seems that he's left it open to possibility even though right now it's not on the table for consideration.

Also he reminded everyone that the name of the company is Southeastern Groceries. So that sort of leaves it open for the possibility that they'll just drop the Winn-Dixie part completely and go with SE Groceries, since everyone who shops there already is familiar with that as their label for all their store-brand products anyway.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:07 AM

Guess plantation and master will be next
Old 06-26-2020, 10:10 AM

i think we all stop it now
Old 06-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I said this in another thread but I have no idea which thread it was.......

What about Dixie Land music? Is that name going to be changed? This is getting beyond ridiculous!
Dixie cup?
Old 06-26-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,507 Posts
Default Dear Guest.?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
250 years of oppression, I can't imagine why it's offensive. (since people can't tell, I'm being sarcastic!)
Dear Guest,
First, I do understand your sarcasm.
Second, I do understand that some individuals could find "Dixie" offensive.
Third, taking both first and second responses into consideration, I do still believe that, in some cases, the removal of certain words because someone finds them offensive could eventually, if taken to excess, limit discourse that is necessary.
I have known girls/women who were named "Dixie". Think of how greatly demanding they change their names, names given by loving parents, might offend them, their family's and friends. How does this add positively to the much needed conversation. And, this is only one of the many examples that could be shown.
As for the "250 years of oppression", there is no denying that injustice is a sad stain on the fabric of our nation's history. It has left a scar on us all. But it is time to look up from that scar and focus on the future and acknowledge the positive advancements since those times and look forward to a better and brighter future.
Living with hate, dwelling on the past and continually picking at the scar of past injustices will only reopen old wounds and aggravate all sides.
Are things not better today than in those old days? Have things not changed? I think so, but I also believe there is much left to do.
So, do you want to work together to improve things for all? Or do you want to continue living with anger because you can't let go othe ugly past and squabble over details like the name "Dixie"?
I choose a peaceful future together.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:22 AM

Oh no, please not Dixie Cups. What will I tell my husband. Honey, would you like me to get you more Dixie Cups. Oh wait, I mean that no name cup with vanilla and chocolate, oh wait, not chocolate. The cup with the vanilla and darker vanilla ice cream next to it. Oh wait, darker is not politically correct either. Honey, I think you better switch to creamsicles!
Old 06-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
Oh no, please not Dixie Cups. What will I tell my husband. Honey, would you like me to get you more Dixie Cups. Oh wait, I mean that no name cup with vanilla and chocolate, oh wait, not chocolate. The cup with the vanilla and darker vanilla ice cream next to it. Oh wait, darker is not politically correct either. Honey, I think you better switch to creamsicles!
I do not remember why but think creamsicles are inherently racist.
Closed Thread

Tags
dixie, chicks, winn-dixie, changing, george

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.