Sepsis and Corona Virus 19.

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2021, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Sepsis and Corona Virus 19.

These two seem very much entwined.

More study is needed though. I have talked to some Villagers and unless they are in the medical field or had a family member die of sepsis they did not know what it was.

Expert: Severe COVID-19 Illness Is Viral Sepsis | HealthLeaders Media

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Sepsis Alliance

Sepsis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-07-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I was small, I heard it called "blood poisoning".
Old 03-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Several men I have known died from sepsis.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-07-2021, 10:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Several men I have known died from sepsis.
Some people close to me died from it or recovered from it.

It is not a word you want to hear from your doctor. That is-- that someone's infection has gone septic. Septic Shock: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment & More
Old 03-07-2021, 11:13 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts
Default Enough with the scare stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
These two seem very much entwined.

More study is needed though. I have talked to some Villagers and unless they are in the medical field or had a family member die of sepsis they did not know what it was.

Expert: Severe COVID-19 Illness Is Viral Sepsis | HealthLeaders Media

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Sepsis Alliance

Sepsis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
Isn't the media bad enough at publicizing the worst possible outcomes? Individuals with no background in healthcare or infectious diseases promoting and fanning the public's fears are not helping.

Johns Hopkins Medicine states that septicemia, or sepsis, is the clinical name for blood poisoning by bacteria. It is the body's most extreme response to an infection. Almost any type of infection can lead to sepsis but it is not something that goes hand-in-hand with every case of COVID. Sepsis is more likely to ocurr when patients are in the end stages of any number of diseases especially people with chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes, lung disease, cancer, and kidney disease according to the CDC.

I worked during the onset of AIDS/HIV, H1N1, MRSA & Necrotizing Fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) and never have I seen such a level of misinformation and a bombardment of articles that focus on rare atypical cases and the hypothetical.

- David H. Dallas, RN, ENT-Paramedic, ASN - Retired
Old 03-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Isn't the media bad enough at publicizing the worst possible outcomes? Individuals with no background in healthcare or infectious diseases promoting and fanning the public's fears are not helping.

Johns Hopkins Medicine states that septicemia, or sepsis, is the clinical name for blood poisoning by bacteria. It is the body's most extreme response to an infection. Almost any type of infection can lead to sepsis but it is not something that goes hand-in-hand with every case of COVID. Sepsis is more likely to ocurr when patients are in the end stages of any number of diseases especially people with chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes, lung disease, cancer, and kidney disease according to the CDC.

I worked during the onset of AIDS/HIV, H1N1, MRSA & Necrotizing Fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) and never have I seen such a level of misinformation and a bombardment of articles that focus on rare atypical cases and the hypothetical.

More research is needed. And I have been talking to now practicing doctors and nurses in the Villages over the past few months about sepsis and quite a lot.

Corona Virus and sepsis are closely connected especially with respect to numbers given for deaths from either.

Sepsis and Coronavirus Disease 2019: Common Features and Anti-Inflammatory Therapeutic Approaches
Old 03-08-2021, 07:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I was small, I heard it called "blood poisoning".
Yes, from what I know its a viral blood infection. Could be bacterial too. But, Im no expert
Old 03-08-2021, 07:30 AM

I had pneumonia 5 times, the last time it developed into sepsis. Was quickly put into ICU and stayed there for five days. Dr. Said had I waited a few more hours to come to the hospital there would have been no turning it around. It is very painful and because of it I have damaged lungs. Glad I got my Covid shots!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:40 AM
Default Sepsis thoughts

Prior to my retirement almost a year ago, my position was Sepsis Coordinator at the hospital where I worked. I am very familiar with sepsis. Sepsis in itself is basically a bad infection——any kind of infection can lead to sepsis, even something as “simple” as a tooth abscess. So pay attention to any possible infection you may have. Sepsis can affect people of all ages, but is most concerning for people with multiple co-morbidities, the elderly, immunocompromised patients, drug and alcohol addicts, and those who are malnourished (including the homeless), to name a few.

When diagnosed early, sepsis is very treatable with fluids and appropriate antibiotics. The problem comes about as sepsis progresses along a continuum into severe sepsis and septic shock. The mortality rate increases as sepsis progresses. The difficulty that often occurs comes from the fact that sepsis can progress very rapidly and in its early stages may not always be identified as sepsis. Many times, by the time a sepsis patient arrives to an emergency room, sepsis has already passed the earlier stages, unidentified, and is progressing down the more dangerous path.

It is important to identify and treat sepsis in its earliest stages. The worse it becomes, more and more vital organs begin to shut down. Pay attention to early symptoms such as fever, elevated heart rate, faster breathing than normal —- all of these can be symptoms of any kind of infection, whether it is bacterial or viral (as in the case of Covid or flu). There are certain lab tests that can also help in the diagnosis of sepsis (such as elevated lactic acid, elevated creatinine and others). Obtaining appropriate lab work is but another reason for the importance of being seen by a healthcare provider early on when sepsis is suspected. It is much better to suspect sepsis and investigate early than to ignore or disregard even mild symptoms. Sepsis can be treated if diagnosed early and it’s progression stopped. Suspect sepsis, save lives!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

It is perhaps a symptom of panic. We are seeing it everywhere. The vaccines, to heck with everyone I'm getting a vaccine. Truth, I too am guilty. We won an appointment and got our second dose last week. I am, I have, am I more at risk than others? Reality, I did not give up my appointment for someone else. I am not aware of anyone who did.
My excuse? My justification?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage

Sepsis | UF Health, University of Florida Health

I know three people who live or visit our Villages' block who got Corona Virus 19 and recovered from it. They are fine.

Others I have heard of died from Corona Virus 19 here in the Villages. My cousin died from Corona Virus on January 6, 2021 but he lived outside of the Villages on the West Coast of Florida near Ft. Myers.

Sepsis is something we should always be on the lookout for especially after we overcome this COVID 19 challenge.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDebbie View Post
Prior to my retirement almost a year ago, my position was Sepsis Coordinator at the hospital where I worked. I am very familiar with sepsis. Sepsis in itself is basically a bad infection——any kind of infection can lead to sepsis, even something as “simple” as a tooth abscess. So pay attention to any possible infection you may have. Sepsis can affect people of all ages, but is most concerning for people with multiple co-morbidities, the elderly, immunocompromised patients, drug and alcohol addicts, and those who are malnourished (including the homeless), to name a few.

When diagnosed early, sepsis is very treatable with fluids and appropriate antibiotics. The problem comes about as sepsis progresses along a continuum into severe sepsis and septic shock. The mortality rate increases as sepsis progresses. The difficulty that often occurs comes from the fact that sepsis can progress very rapidly and in its early stages may not always be identified as sepsis. Many times, by the time a sepsis patient arrives to an emergency room, sepsis has already passed the earlier stages, unidentified, and is progressing down the more dangerous path.

It is important to identify and treat sepsis in its earliest stages. The worse it becomes, more and more vital organs begin to shut down. Pay attention to early symptoms such as fever, elevated heart rate, faster breathing than normal —- all of these can be symptoms of any kind of infection, whether it is bacterial or viral (as in the case of Covid or flu). There are certain lab tests that can also help in the diagnosis of sepsis (such as elevated lactic acid, elevated creatinine and others). Obtaining appropriate lab work is but another reason for the importance of being seen by a healthcare provider early on when sepsis is suspected. It is much better to suspect sepsis and investigate early than to ignore or disregard even mild symptoms. Sepsis can be treated if diagnosed early and it’s progression stopped. Suspect sepsis, save lives!
This is very helpful. Thanks for posting this. There was a death in my immediate family from sepsis on December 5, 2020. It developed out of C.diff. C. diff (Clostridioides difficile) | CDC
Old 03-08-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

The actress Tanya Roberts, age 65, (Charlie's Angels, That 70's Show) died from complications resulting from an untreated urinary tract infection. She had just walked her dog when she came home and collapsed. From what I've heard, infections can go from bad to worse in a hurry if you don't seek treatment early enough. She didn't have Covid as far as I know but I have heard of others who have had the combo of advanced urinary tract infection + Covid not end well.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:13 AM

While you are quick to jump on the bandwagon of this is not serious, it is important to note there are more than 525,000 people dead so that hardly qualifies as rare issues. Sepsis can hit anyone as evidenced in the 70's of toxic shock syndrome from use of tampons by young healthy women. It is not limited to end stage co-morbidities and can strike young healthy people, there are multiple examples of death resulting. Credentials are only important when they are backed by an in-depth scientific study that far exceeds basic degrees.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:

Yet you, with no virology qualification advise people to not get vaccinated!
Just because you were a RN and a paramedic does not make you an expert on Covid or vaccinations.
You are spouting your unqualified opinion, so are no better than those you decry!
Closed Thread

Tags
sepsis, corona, virus, entwined, study

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.