Should all dogs be muzzled?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2021, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No, some dogs don’t deserve to be muzzled but... no leashes longer than 6 feet should be allowed if walking off your property. A long leash is useless - equivalent to no leash at all. You can’t control any dog with a retractable leash, I know I’ve had them and the dogs too. Then a walker can keep 6ft from the dog and be pretty safe. Other than that be prepared for any dog to get startled and attack.

(Sorry for not going along with the analogy. But all people who can should wear masks N95 ones, if we had done it in March there would have been no lockdowns, the economy would be booming, we would still have president Trump. We would be free in our country at least everywhere, maybe not international travel. One month folks, it’s all it takes, and that would mean wearing a mask everywhere and by everyone pretty well. But the “ma rights” people prefer the ravages of Covid.)
So you are saying that EVERYONE should have been given the N95 masks by the gov. immediately? And you are also suggesting that this mask wearing would have saved us from the virus? I don't think so. Most folks that were infected, were infected at home. I don't know anyone that wears a mask at home, but I could be mistaken. In a country as large as ours, there would never be total compliance with a mask mandate without a revolution occurring.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Yet another mask thread
Reading and participating is not mandated.....
Old 02-09-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not if I were king.

Right now the demand far exceeds the supply. Right now we need to protect those who want the vaccine but cannot get it.

Once everyone who desires a vaccination can get a vaccination then I feel that changes. Society can't be held hostage by the few anti-vax or covid-deniers who refuse to join the mainstream. Society should protect those who would like to be vaccinated but cannot but society doesn't have to protect those who could be vaccinated but choose not to. They made a choice and they will live (or not) with that choice.
Thank you. You just made the case against everyone being responsible for others. According to YOUR analogy, it is not up to anyone to protect another, it's up to everyone being responsible for themselves. Thank you. I knew that is the conversation has some elaborating, a compromise or revelation is revealed.
In a free country, compliance should be voluntary, NOT mandated. Like I have said before, charity is willfully and voluntary but mandated compliance becomes a gov. tax.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hypothetical.
A friend of mine was walking through his neighborhood in the Villages and as he walked past a neighbor walking his dog, the dog lunged at him and bit him. Not severely, but the shock that it could have been serious, scared him as well as the dog's owner.

Question:
Should ALL dogs be muzzled when they are not on their own property?
What distance should one pass a leashed dog in the street for their safety?
If the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, can he still carry the virus?

Even though only one of many dogs in the Villages is guilty of biting a passing stranger, should ALL dogs then be muzzled to protect other folks, just in case? Or should you maintain a "social distance" from walking dogs to protect yourself? If the dog is on a leash that is only six foot long and under control of the owner, is it the owner's responsibility to put a muzzle on the dog IF you decide to approach or is it your responsibility to maintain a safe distance to protect yourself? What if the owner tells you that his dog has never ever bitten or attempted to bite anyone, ever? Do you still approach that dog IF you are worried about being bitten?

So, would you muzzle all the dogs in America, if one dog that had rabies bit someone and they died? If so, even after hearing that most dogs were vaccinated?

Does this argument sound familiar?
Hint: This has nothing to do with animals.
There are a lot of humans I would rather see muzzled before dogs, especially when they leave their property. We could start with ALL the news stations. It would make the country a happier place. There could be a sign on the muzzle. Only to be removed in case of real news to report.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:17 AM

My dog was a rescue and she growls and barks while I walk her on the leash if a person is walking too close to us at the time. I say to them,“ She isn’t friendly” you would think that would deter them from coming over to her with their hand stretched out in front of her face. But No, then they are surprised when they see her aggressively barking. She has never bit anyone, but if during her barking at someone and they put their hand close to her mouth, that person could get hurt. Even though I love dogs, I am bright enough not to go over to a strange dog and try to pet them, yet on many occasions this was done to my dog.

PS Neither myself or my dog wear a mask when walking. However I always wear a mask whether I am shopping and practice social distancing.

Last edited by GOLFER54; 02-09-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:20 AM

Yes - if the dogs were invisible, the bites airborn, and over 450,000 people in the country had died as a result.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
You are right, there were not enough n95 masks available at any time and they did need to be reserved for the first line workers.

I am just dreaming... still if we had put our effort into controlling the virus...to me wearing a mask is comparable to wearing gloves or socks, no biggie. Skiers wear it for cold - something so much less significant. We would at this time have the virus under control. Not just my opinion, I got the info from medical people. But why would anyone believe them? Why would anyone believe any one? We are in a society with people who prefer fairy tales.
I am not saying that I disagree with you, BUT......... When "skiers" wear gloves and socks it is because it is cold. The evidence is there. They most likely would not wear gloves in Florida. However, we are speaking of a virus where the likely hood of anyone you meet having it, is so nil that it is easier to get hit by a car when walking on a sidewalk. And the idea of contracting the virus IF you meet someone infected is even more unlikely. And then to have any symptoms is about one in 99. Ok, so I am not being accurate, but the idea is clear. I am not saying that anyone should NOT wear a mask. I am saying that thinking that wearing a mask is going to keep you from catching COVID is probably a slight advantage over a non-wearing person. Just an opinion, but wearing gloves probably gives you just as much protection as wearing a mask and I do not see very many folks wearing gloves. When this first started, I wore gloves along with my mask wearing. Obviously, catching the virus is not easy or some of us would already have had it that are not taking the precautions that some on here are adamant about adhering to. Just saying and I am in no way advising anyone to not wear their mask for protection. I am just being realistic about the conversation and also showing some that their demand for a mask mandate is totally UN-American.
I am neither a anti-masker or an anti-vaxxer, and I do not deny the existence of the virus.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
People who act like rabid dogs ready to bite you head off when you ask them to wear a mask a d keep their distance should be muzzled.
So if you were taking a walk in your neighborhood and a neighbor was walking their dog at the same time, you would demand that they muzzle the dog instead of attempting to avoid the dog that is leashed? Would you consider the dog rabid based on news that a dog in the tri-county area was found to be infected?
Sorry, but the only way I would feel entitled to demand someone put a mask on is if they entered my home. Guess some folks feel entitled to make demands, right?
Old 02-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Should people and dogs be muzzled? Love it when I can control what everyone else is doing. Makes me feel real important.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:37 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Cutting to the chase: yes, you need to continue wearing the mask until those around you are vaccinated and safe from what you or others may unknowingly be carrying.

(If it is desperately needed I can play along with your analogy but this is just quicker.)
The only protection that really works is a N95 facemask that has been properly fitted, discarded & replaced routinely. The homemade cloth & surgical masks offer minimal protection but can be potentially harmful. Once you wear a mask, that mask is now considered contaminated and should be discarded or disinfected with a bleach solution. If you touch the outside of the mask and touch your face, you just gave a contaminant a way inside your body. In reusing a mask you are breathing through a petri dish of bacteria and worse being fed with your warm humid exhalations.

Now that many people have been vaccinated or have natural immunity the "mask mandates for all" needs to be changed. Just those who have not been vaccinated or do not have natural immunity should wear a mask but one that works, as in a N95.

Many people will argue that natural immunity is different from vaccinated immunity. Here is what the CDC says; “Active immunity results when exposure to a disease organism triggers the immune system to produce antibodies to that disease. Exposure to the disease organism can occur through infection with the actual disease (resulting in natural immunity), or introduction of a killed or weakened form of the disease organism through vaccination (vaccine-induced immunity). Either way, if an immune person comes into contact with that disease in the future, their immune system will recognize it and immediately produce the antibodies needed to fight it.”

And from the WHO, “Vaccines train our immune systems to create proteins that fight disease, known as ‘antibodies’, just as would happen when we are exposed to a disease. Even people without symptoms develop an immune response.”

People who have been vaccinated or have natural immunity from having COVID (like I have) do not need to be masked; it would be pointless. We cannot get COVID and we cannot transmit COVID.

Unfortunately I have found that logical arguments backed by proven science (not “may happen” or “might not be”) fall on deaf ears. It is similar to having an argument over religion. The true believers have blind faith and no person will ever sway their belief no matter how sound the opposing view.

David H. Dallas RN, EMT-P (retired), ASN
Old 02-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny32162 View Post
I choose the quick answer. Yes, everyone should wear a mask when out of his/her own home. Not only does a mask protect the wearer, it is the responsible action to protect others. Be a responsible adult, who cares about others - WEAR A MASK.
"Should" or Have to/mandated? Two different meanings, right? A person should be nice and have manners. A person is not mandated to be nice and have manners, UNLESS there is a law (mandate) stipulating such behavior.
The issue is not whether someone "should" wear a mask. The issue is whether a mask mandate is necessary.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:58 AM

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners!!
Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hypothetical.
A friend of mine was walking through his neighborhood in the Villages and as he walked past a neighbor walking his dog, the dog lunged at him and bit him. Not severely, but the shock that it could have been serious, scared him as well as the dog's owner.

Question:
Should ALL dogs be muzzled when they are not on their own property?
What distance should one pass a leashed dog in the street for their safety?
If the dog has been vaccinated for rabies, can he still carry the virus?

Even though only one of many dogs in the Villages is guilty of biting a passing stranger, should ALL dogs then be muzzled to protect other folks, just in case? Or should you maintain a "social distance" from walking dogs to protect yourself? If the dog is on a leash that is only six foot long and under control of the owner, is it the owner's responsibility to put a muzzle on the dog IF you decide to approach or is it your responsibility to maintain a safe distance to protect yourself? What if the owner tells you that his dog has never ever bitten or attempted to bite anyone, ever? Do you still approach that dog IF you are worried about being bitten?

So, would you muzzle all the dogs in America, if one dog that had rabies bit someone and they died? If so, even after hearing that most dogs were vaccinated?

Does this argument sound familiar?
Hint: This has nothing to do with animals.

No Just Diapers
Old 02-09-2021, 09:49 AM

Your argument while interesting (and maybe a fun twist) your thinking is faulty. Figures show there is a little over a 1% chance of death there is a little older a 20% chance of catching covid.
So it should be there us a 1% chance of the dog mauling you to death and a 20% chance of biting you causing minor to sever problems/injuries, including lung and problems and early death. 1% vs 20% may change some answers.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Reality-Hypothetical? Perhaps, you need to look up the word.

As to this case like it or not you should report the incident. A dog will not just attack with no provocation, with no warning unless it is ill or????? It is possible but not likely this is the first time for this particular dog.

Experience, my sister got a rescue dog. The dog as you report would attack unprovoked with no warning. Her vet told her she should have the dog put down and that is what she did. Not easy but if the tale is as you report that dog needs to be put down.
You really missed the point of his dog story. It is a parody about the mask mandates. It has nothing to do with dogs! The dog story applies the same argument supporting mask mandates to a satirical story of a dog that bites.

Menippean Satire
Menippean satire targets mental attitudes and viewpoints, rather than specific individuals.

Parody
A parody, also called a spoof, a send-up, a take-off, a lampoon, a play on (something), or a caricature, is a creative work designed to imitate, comment on, and/or make fun of its subject by means of satiric or ironic imitation.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, dogs, distance, muzzled, protect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.