Starbucks Strike

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2023, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Like going to the movies instead of streaming at home Starbucks is a social contact experience. Look around at the LSL location.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Like going to the movies instead of streaming at home Starbucks is a social contact experience. Look around at the LSL location.
I think you (and some others) are missing the point. The argument isn't that Starbucks will close, the argument is that you don't need a warm body to make a cup of coffee. If the warm bodies demand too much they will be replaced by automation.

The social aspect with Starbucks shouldn't be between the customers and the baristas. The baristas should not be spending enough time interacting with the customers to be considered a social contact experience. If they are then they need to be replaced by someone/something that will talk less and work more.

The social contact experience at Starbucks, if any, should be between the customers at their tables; human baristas are not needed for that.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 10:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Never cared for Bigbucks coffee, tastes bitter to me..
Old 11-17-2023, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I think you (and some others) are missing the point. The argument isn't that Starbucks will close, the argument is that you don't need a warm body to make a cup of coffee. If the warm bodies demand too much they will be replaced by automation.

The social aspect with Starbucks shouldn't be between the customers and the baristas. The baristas should not be spending enough time interacting with the customers to be considered a social contact experience. If they are then they need to be replaced by someone/something that will talk less and work more.

The social contact experience at Starbucks, if any, should be between the customers at their tables; human baristas are not needed for that.
My point has nothing to do with the baristas and their social contact. It was about how having a cup at home is not the same as the social experience of being with others. Referencing LSL was an example of how people enjoy Starbucks not just for the coffee but also for interacting with other people at the tables provided. Think European cafes.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
My point has nothing to do with the baristas and their social contact. It was about how having a cup at home is not the same as the social experience of being with others. Referencing LSL was an example of how people enjoy Starbucks not just for the coffee but also for interacting with other people at the tables provided. Think European cafes.
And my point is that this thread is not suggesting that Starbucks will close.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Maybe it's been there a while.............went to UPS Store today for an Amazon return.

It is 100% self-serve...............no human interaction.
Did it ever dawn on you these companies are doing this because they can't find workers? Companies like UPS get it and are doing everything to keep the workers they do have happy. From UPS:
ATLANTA – UPS (NYSE: UPS) has a long history of driving innovations that propel its business and bring industry-leading solutions to logistics. Today the company announced ways it is strengthening its network capabilities and enhancing employee experience through automation. UPS is leveraging technology to help reduce repetitive tasks and physical stress while promoting safety for the company’s employees. The technologies will also improve package flow and overall efficiency of the UPS network.

Hate to break it to you all but it's not the 1980s anymore where there were 15 people for every job.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Did it ever dawn on you these companies are doing this because they can't find workers? Companies like UPS get it and are doing everything to keep the workers they do have happy. From UPS:
ATLANTA – UPS (NYSE: UPS) has a long history of driving innovations that propel its business and bring industry-leading solutions to logistics. Today the company announced ways it is strengthening its network capabilities and enhancing employee experience through automation. UPS is leveraging technology to help reduce repetitive tasks and physical stress while promoting safety for the company’s employees. The technologies will also improve package flow and overall efficiency of the UPS network.

Hate to break it to you all but it's not the 1980s anymore where there were 15 people for every job.
He didn't say the UPS store was automated, he said it was self-serve. Kind of like the Walmart checkout - there is still a person doing the same motions and using the same scanner, but now that person is you.

Sure, I can type, print, and attach my own label to a box that I had to assemble, tape, fill, and add packing to and then put the box in an outgoing bin. There's no reason I can't do all that and there is some value to having all the materials in the same place but I am certainly getting less value for my money.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 12:17 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Did it ever dawn on you these companies are doing this because they can't find workers?
Quit calling me Dawn.

Large companies would actually love to eliminate as many employees as possible and let machines handle everything. "Fixed costs", no attitude, no strikes, no breaktimes, etc.

"enhancing employee experience through automation"
Don't believe everything you read.

There are so many benefits of eliminating belly-buttons for tasks.

Tags
starbucks, strike, automation, coming, bodies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.